What's new

Tisane (a.k.a. "Herbal Tea"

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I see very little discussion about tisane (herbal "tea") around here. Surely, I'm not the only one around here that enjoys drinking it, whether hot or cold. I used to buy packaged blends (Celestial Seasonings or some other blend), and there also used to be a nearby market that made many fantastic blends. While I still occasionally buy blends, I started playing around with my own several years ago.

Currently, I almost always use rooibus as a base for the blend, although I may use so little of it that calling it a "base" may not be truly accurate. I keep an arsenal of other dried goodies to blend, as well, including lemon peel, orange peel, ginger, lavender, dandelion root, nettle, chamomile, valerian, and a few other things I know I have but cannot recall at the moment. I'm certainly not against going out to the herb garden and grabbing a little rosemary, thyme, fresh mint, basil, marjoram, or chive blossom. None of my favorite Summer blends is of rooibus, mint, and orange peel (sometimes with a bit of ginger). At night, I'm more likely to go with chamomile with a very little lavender and, perhaps, a bit of valerian (it has a powerful and not particularly pleasant aroma).

Of course, I have no problem throwing something in with other teas I might enjoy, or even a little something with my coffee from time to time.

Who else around here enjoys infusing something other than coffee or tea? What do you enjoy?

Yeaba mate and its cousin guysen are very good..Mint tea is very good and rooibus with some chai spices mix in very good..

I've enjoyed all of the following:
  • mint
  • mint & green tea
  • hibiscus flowers
  • yerba mate
  • berry (blackberry or raspberry) leaves
  • chamomile
  • rosehips

I really like hibiscus flowers as a base ingredient. I used to get them fresh from the garden when I lived somewhere warmer. Now, I just purchase them dried.

I'm moreso focused on tea but manage Yogi Yogi Chai brand herbal infusions, chamomile, mint & lemongrass from time to time. Been using Adagio's Inginuitea gizmo for the loose leaf herbals, it's a wonderful little device.

Top Bottom