What's new

A Bummer Situation

Around a month ago I had surgery to remove a tumor (benign thankfully) from under my right jaw. The incision goes from in front of my right earlobe down at an angle to almost my adamsapple. The right side of my face is numb and the incision was severely swollen an tender so I could not shave with my double-edge razor. I discussed this with my surgeon and he recommended either and electric razor or a multi-blade like a Mach3. Tried the electric - no thanks - so I am currently using disposable Mach3 razors and shower shaving (the wetness helps). My surgeon said it could take up to 6 months for things to start to normalize.:mad3:

I'm sorry to hear that...
But the hope is that the situation is not permanent.
How about spending the 6 months exploring soaps or creams?
Hope you get back soon.

I'm sorry to hear that...
But the hope is that the situation is not permanent.
How about spending the 6 months exploring soaps or creams?
Hope you get back soon.
Thanks Ketta for the reply. I currently have more soaps, creams, croaps than I can use in a couple of years (yep - the AD got me). The weird thing is the lack of feeling (numbness). I literally can not tell how much pressure I'm using. On he jaw and neck area its still somewhat swollen at the incision so I have to be really careful there. I have tried using my DE a few times but managed to cut myself each time, especially around the right earlobe area where the incision starts. Bums me out that I can't shave like I used to.
HEY - just had an idea - shave the right side with the Mach3 and left side with my beloved DE. That just might work -:laugh:

Thanks Ketta for the reply. I currently have more soaps, creams, croaps than I can use in a couple of years (yep - the AD got me). The weird thing is the lack of feeling (numbness). I literally can not tell how much pressure I'm using. On he jaw and neck area its still somewhat swollen at the incision so I have to be really careful there. I have tried using my DE a few times but managed to cut myself each time, especially around the right earlobe area where the incision starts. Bums me out that I can't shave like I used to.
HEY - just had an idea - shave the right side with the Mach3 and left side with my beloved DE. That just might work -:laugh:

Hi,

I was thinking the same thing - a two razor shave for a while. ;)

Stan

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I'm hoping for a speedy recovery and a return to DE shaving in no time!

Cordially,
Adam

I had the same incision (2011) for nerve reassignment surgery, so i've been there. I couldn't shave so grew my only beard ever, just was too tender and too scared to try. Went from early November to towards the end of March (2012) when my physiotherapist felt enough time had passed for enough nerve regeneration to have taken place and we had something to work with. She needed to be able to see if i could generate any muscle response in the right side of the face with the nerve that used to control the right side of my tongue. (And i needed to see so i could figure out action/response.) I now close my right eye with my tongue.

Be patient if you can, i'd do it the same way again, give it time to heal. It's was 2 months until i could even put the right side of my face down the pillow to sleep, no way was i going to try shaving.

It will get better, time is what it takes.
All the best!
dave

The good news is that the tumor was benign and the operation is in the past! CONGRATULATIONS!!

I think you should follow your doctor's advice.

Your soaps, razors etc aren't going anywhere. If it means growing some facial hair for a few months then by all means do it. Might be a good excuse to do so. (assuming of course that there aren't other factors that might preclude you doing so.) I know some jobs require it. A friend of mine is a UPS driver. He can have a mustache but not a beard.

I recall having a small tumor on the side of my face - probably early 1990's. It was about the size of my thumbnail if I recall correctly. I don't recall how much my ability to shave was affected. Regardless of what you decide, good luck with the healing process.

I thank you all for your replies and concern. My surgeon said the tumor was the size of a hot dog and a little over 1/2 the length of one. Its the numbness that really gets to me <G>. I could probably take a punch from Mike Tyson and hardly feel it. I am still shaving as usual but have to use the Mach3 and be really careful around the incision. Time will heal it up and things will be back to normal before I know it. Again - thanks everyone.

Give it time and it will heal before you know it!
Enjoy some aftershaves and colognes in the meanwhile!
Best wishes for fast and full recovery!

I suppose you could see this as an opportunity to collect some custom Mach 3 handles.

If you find that the Mach 3 is still not gentle enough you could always look at Bump Fighter as a temporary measure.

Healing up nicely and have done a couple of very careful DE shaves with my Maggard MR6 (V2 head). Got really good results and felt great to be back to my DE again (really dislike that damn M3). Today I tried my new Maggard V3 head (had to do it ya know). Did a three- pass shave WTG (twice) and an XTG. Got a DFS and felt nice and smooth with no irritation. I still have an area that is not healing up quite as well as the rest (right under my right ear) so had to be really slow and careful there but came out nice. Feels good to be back on the horse again as they say.
$sotd 81916.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom