What's new

Wee Scots and shedding

I acquired a Wee Scot a year or so ago. For the first several shaves after I got it, it lost 1-3 hairs on average with each use.
Then it settled down.

Recently, however, the shedding has started up again. On the last outing, it lost 6-7 hairs.

I don't think I'm working it too hard. I recognize that each unit will have its own behavior pattern too.

Still, I'd like to know what the experience of other Wee Scot owners has been in this regards.

Haven't had mine for a year yet, but same as you, there was a little bit of shedding in the beginning. I hope the knot doesn't disintegrate in a year or so! Have you been soaking it in very hot water?

Haven't had mine for a year yet, but same as you, there was a little bit of shedding in the beginning. I hope the knot doesn't disintegrate in a year or so! Have you been soaking it in very hot water?

Not overly hot. Typically what I do is fill my sink with hot tap water, then have a shower. So the water will have cooled some, and I soak for only about 30 seconds by holding the knot in the sink. It's the same as what I do with my other Simpson, the Berkeley, and the 46 doesn't shed.

No issues with mine. I don't soak, but swish it about in very hot water within a little bowl (never getting within half an inch of the knot). 30 seconds does the trick in heat retention and softness (squeeze and swish, squeeze and swish, ...). Squeeze, then shake out all water, then hit up the Tabac with little pressure only. Dipping half an inch in very hot water, and shaking out all excess (3-4 shakes) before loading the brush again. Repeat water dipping while face lathering.. (my Omega mixed midget requires a warm water soak during my shower to soften; more pressure is also required during load/lather).

This has been my routine every other day for more than half a year.

I've heard of defects though. It is said that combing the knot with a fine comb may help. Perhaps, shampoo and conditioning before using said comb as well. All else, contact customer service. Good luck.

Last edited:
I've had my Wee Scot, purchased lightly used, for about 5 years now.
I don't remember it ever shedding a single hair.

I use mine as my go-to brush when I'm testing out a new soap or cream,
or if I'm using something discontinued (like C&E SAO cream) and I want to be extra careful not to waste anything.

Lost 3-4 more hairs today, but they looked to be lighter/smaller ones.
Fingers crossed that this phase of attrition is ending...and is the last.

never, never had single hair lost on my wee scot

$st james sample gillette fusion simpson wee scot lime sec july 25 2014.jpg

Today a replacement Wee Scot arrived (with a bonus tube of Simpson's shaving oil).

Thank you very much, Simpson's.

Top Bottom