What's new

Lindy's Hitchhiker's Guide To Straight Razors

Tom's Re-scale Project:
Shifted my colors and got the re-scale project for Tom underway... Unpinned it from the old scales and the looks improved immensely!

Made a tracing of the razor...

Rooted through my box of old scale bits and found one to use as a template...

Got out the material I'm going to use... Cut it to size then taped the two pieces together with double sided plastic carpet tape...

Cutout and spray glued the pattern to the 'blank'...

Made some relief cuts then cutout the scales...

Used the Drill press to bore the pin holes, then chucked up a sanding drum and refined the shape...

The Walk:
Got my 4mi. in at 13:30 pace today...Another marvelous day of weather... Mostly sunny mid 70's moderate breeze. Ben lit out after a deer but gave it up when he realized he was never going to catch up to it. =)

The Shave:
Since I used my 7/8 W&B I thought I'd stay with a big razor for today and went with a 7/8 Henckels Friodur 17 1/2 aka 'Megalodon'.
This beast is the biggest razor in the collection. 7/8 isn't all that unusual, but with a length of 3 1/4 measured toe to shank it's the longest! I bought this beastie 'sans culottes' which is why I got it for the price I did. When I went to scale it the only piece of material I had on hand at the time that was big enough was a piece of amber G10...

7/8 Henckels 'Megalodon'
Bison horsehide strop
Omega 'Bambino' brush
SV Felce Aromatica soap
Store brand WH

2 1/2 passes yielded a 95% BBS... Actually it's 2 passes with touchup but we'll call it 2 1/2 ;) I'm forgoing aftershave for a while until my latest acquisition arrives... SV Felce Aromatica along with a puck of the soap! I want my face clear of anything that might contaminate the experience... =)

The Walk:
Got my 4mi. in at 13:30 pace today...Another marvelous day of weather... Mostly sunny mid 70's moderate breeze. Ben lit out after a deer but gave it up when he realized he was never going to catch up to it. =)

The Shave:
Since I used my 7/8 W&B I thought I'd stay with a big razor for today and went with a 7/8 Henckels Friodur 17 1/2 aka 'Megalodon'.
This beast is the biggest razor in the collection. 7/8 isn't all that unusual, but with a length of 3 1/4 measured toe to shank it's the longest! I bought this beastie 'sans culottes' which is why I got it for the price I did. When I went to scale it the only piece of material I had on hand at the time that was big enough was a piece of amber G10...

7/8 Henckels 'Megalodon'
Bison horsehide strop
Omega 'Bambino' brush
SV Felce Aromatica soap
Store brand WH

2 1/2 passes yielded a 95% BBS... Actually it's 2 passes with touchup but we'll call it 2 1/2 ;) I'm forgoing aftershave for a while until my latest acquisition arrives... SV Felce Aromatica along with a puck of the soap! I want my face clear of anything that might contaminate the experience... =)

I was hoping to see your biggest straight next to the smallest Omega brush. Megalodon vs Trout

I love the fishing theme! Great photo Jon, but even nicer blade, and the scales look terrific with it. I'm so excited you are getting Felce Aromatica soap and AS! It was my first SV purchase, then I got the buying bug. I am sure you will also. Have a wonderful week my friend.:thumbup:

Thanks Dan! I'm already thinking about the Manna di Sicilia...

Top Bottom