What's new

Lord R Colton and Other Suiting and Booting Questions

I have been searching for a pocket square (my first) to go with this medium gray sharkskin suit and a purple paisley tie. My tie is similar to this but without the blue, and mine is a little less ornate/busy. I like green and purple together, and I stumbled across this pocket square. Is that a crazy combination? Should I just go with a solid color square (green or purple)? I'm in my mid-30s, and I like patterns and color. I'm an athletic but rather broad shouldered build (5'7", 42 short suit, 34 pants), and I don't plan on making a big show of the pocket square, since I'll also be wearing a small boutonniere, as well. I'll probably wear it as shown in this article's title block.

Has anyone heard of Lord R. Colton? They look like nice quality, and I don't mind paying $25 if they truly are.

Also, I'm considering this or this pair of Allen Edmonds to go with the outfit (with matching AE belt, of course). Thoughts? Would AE's Merlot color clash with this suit/tie/square combo? This is for my wedding, so it's a do what I want sort of day/outfit. I don't mind edgy, but I'd like to avoid garish/outlandish/comical. This ensemble will be immortalized in photos, after all. :001_smile

Sorry for the long post full of links, and thank you in advance for your time and advice.

-Andy

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The PS works with that tie and suit.

Either pair of shoes would be fine too. The darker ones would be more "conservative/safe" and the lighter ones more "out there/edgy". I guess it depends how much of a sartorial risk-taker you are.

PS: with that suit, a white "tv fold" PS and black shoes (ideally captoe oxfords without brogueing) would turn that into a killer evening outfit too.

Personally, I seldom wear a PS. I endorse AE in general and their University wing tips in particular (as I have a pair)! The shoes are classic IMO!

The PS works with that tie and suit.

Either pair of shoes would be fine too. The darker ones would be more "conservative/safe" and the lighter ones more "out there/edgy". I guess it depends how much of a sartorial risk-taker you are.

PS: with that suit, a white "tv fold" PS and black shoes (ideally captoe oxfords without brogueing) would turn that into a killer evening outfit too.

Thanks for the opinions and great idea about using the suit for evening wear. I like the simple, white tv fold. I was also thinking I could dress the jacket down with jeans for a casual evening out once in a while. I live in small town Oregon, and it's laid back here. I wear a t-shirt and jeans to work on Fridays, as do many of my coworkers. Slacks or jeans with a polo shirt the other 4 days of the work week. I work at a university.

Personally, I seldom wear a PS. I endorse AE in general and their University wing tips in particular (as I have a pair)! The shoes are classic IMO!

Thank you for the AE endorsement. I don't think I'll wear a pocket square often. The University wing tips were available in a 10D, but I might need a 10.5. If they fit, however, I'm worried this will turn into a "get both" situation. I'm a sucker for wingtips, and my current dress shoes (one pair each in black and brown) are beat up and out of date.

I'm treating this as an opportunity to outfit myself with some nicer pieces for my wardrobe.

-Andy

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Thanks for the opinions and great idea about using the suit for evening wear. I like the simple, white tv fold. I was also thinking I could dress the jacket down with jeans for a casual evening out once in a while. I live in small town Oregon, and it's laid back here.

Jeans would be good too. IMHO, a darker fabric, slimmer cut and no fading &c would make the best look (think "cocktails up top, casual down below" rather than "cocktails up top and pants for when the grass I mow"). Being rather familiar with the sort of small-town-with-a-university setting you describe, I suspect that suit will be very versatile for you, in the various ways we've been describing.

Ha! I can totally see how that happens. I love the McAllister wingtip oxfords I ordered. I now want something in Walnut to go with a blue suit I have. Practicing restraint shouldn't be too difficult, though, since I don't wear suits often.

-Andy

Top Bottom