What's new

This is BBQ's Most Controversial Condiment!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
proxy.php
Guess what it is. It's 'Liquid Smoke' (I don't happen to use the stuff...soaked Apple wood chips great for me)! :w00t:

MSN Lifestyle - Epicurious - Tommy Weaver - 12 July 2016

"Depending on the kind of grillmaster you are, liquid smoke is a common secret ingredient or a last resort.

Chances are it's the latter. Liquid smoke seems to make a lot of folks
blind with hatred.

It used to make me mad, too. But I realized I didn't actually know liquid smoke. So I decided to explore this
much-maligned condiment, talk to the people who make it, and make an informed decision whether or not I should smoke liquid smoke out of my life.

What’s In It?

How do you turn smoke into a liquid? “A lot of people think it’s a chemical, but it’s not,” says Rocky Stubblefield of
Texas-based Stubb’s BBQ Sauces. Instead, liquid smoke is made from the most obvious ingredient: actual smoke.

The process goes like this: First, producers burn the
sawdust byproducts of lumber production (or, in Stubb’s case, real chunks of mesquite or hickory wood). Steam in the smoky air turns into droplets of condensation, kind of like when you have fog forming on a mirror. Those droplets get caught with a condenser and are, in the words of food scientist and author Harold McGee, “smoke-flavored water.”

And that's it. It's so simple, you can even pull off the process at home. (Seriously—
Serious Eats tried it).

Is It Safe?

Now, let’s talk carcinogens. Smoke is full of them. Most companies claim that they filter out the carcinogenic tars and resins, leaving only the flavor behind, but the truth is most liquid smoke will contain resins anyway.

Is that a big deal? Maybe not. Kent Kirshenbaum of NYU’s Department of Chemistry notes that
liquid smoke is healthier than actual smoke. And McGee says the quantity of liquid smoke normally used in foods is harmless. (If you're drinking three bottles of the stuff, the story changes.)

One tip: The tars and carcinogenic compounds tend to settle over time, so avoid shaking the bottles and instead let the tar-like sediments sink to the bottom.

How Do I Use It?

Liquid smoke plays nicely in marinades,
barbecue sauces, and, when used sparingly, in bourbon cocktails [say whaaat
proxy.php
]).

[NOTE:] In all of these cases, use the liquid smoke sparingly—a little goes a long way [my advice...don't apply 'directly' to the meat]. A big brisket needs less than a teaspoon of liquid smoke [for marinades and/or brines]; almost everything else needs just a few drops". :thumbsup:

$BBQ - 3.jpg

Work Cited: http://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodculture/this-is-bbqs-most-controversial-condiment/ar-BBufrab?li=BBnb7Kw

"[A BBQ] Fire is next akin to [liquid] smoke". Plautus

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
If I'm cooking ribs or brisket in a slow cooker and need or want a little smoke flavor I'll put a few drops in. Adding a few drops in a Bloody Mary or a Michelada is really nice.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Not that I would ever admit to using the vile concoction but I have heard that it works well in a Dutch oven brisket. I can neither confirm nor deny that...

I read the first few sentences and all I could think was "food fight"!:lol: I've used it a few times but I love using a smoke box or tin foil wrapped chips or just throwing chips directly on charcoal. I prefer charcoal to gas BBQ's, does that make me a bad person? :laugh:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
proxy.php
Guess what it is. It's 'Liquid Smoke'

git...a...rope.

Just kidding...I use it in my beef jerky marinade if I'm cooking it in the oven.

Adding a few drops in a Bloody Mary or a Michelada is really nice.

I'll have to try that...or not. Alex, a friend of mine in Mexico, took me out cantina hopping one night and showed me how to make a "proper" Michelada. Glass of ice with the rim lined with Margarita salt, a squeeze of lime juice in the bottom (about that much, he didn't measure anything), some Maggi's seasoning, some Worcestershire (about that much), then fill with your favorite Mexican beer and add Tabasco to your taste. Stir and enjoy.

He got behind the bar when he made it...guess they knew him there.

Gents, be nice.

On a cooking sub-forum where recipes are involved?

Surely you jest. :biggrin1:

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Not that I would ever admit to using the vile concoction but I have heard that it works well in a Dutch oven brisket. I can neither confirm nor deny that...
kelbro:
Ah...ha! Standing behind your 'disclaimer'...good play my friend...classic.
proxy.php

proxy.php
"Experience is simply the name we give our barbecue mistakes". Oscar Wilde

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
git...a...rope.

Just kidding...I use it in my beef jerky marinade if I'm cooking it in the oven.

I'll have to try that...or not. Alex, a friend of mine in Mexico, took me out cantina hopping one night and showed me how to make a "proper" Michelada [I didn't know there was such a thing and/or protocol...great tip to use the next time I'm in Mexico]! :thumbsup:]. Glass of ice with the rim lined with Margarita salt, a squeeze of lime juice in the bottom (about that much, he didn't measure anything), some Maggi's seasoning, some Worcestershire (about that much), then fill with your favorite Mexican beer and add Tabasco to your taste. Stir and enjoy.

He got behind the bar when he made it...guess they knew him there.

On a cooking sub-forum where recipes are involved?

Surely you jest. :biggrin1:
Oh, and Mike...don't call me Shirley.
proxy.php

$BBQ - 4.jpg"Always do barbecue right; this will gratify some people [and—well], astonish the rest". Mark Twain

Last edited:
You are showing your age there Buddy.

Oh Good Lord...don't ask me how I remember that line...I saw it in a theater...when they weren't the box kinda things they are now and were real theaters.

he play basically the same character in the show "Due South" on cbs as a mounty. Frobisher

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't hesitate to use it. I don't own a smoker, so I'll do pulled pork in the slow cooker and add a bit. If I braise ribs in the oven, I just throw them on the grill (charcoal) for a quick sear/smoke before serving.

Top Bottom