What's new

Best Beginner Blade: French Made Wavy edge or Feather SS Artist Club Kamisori style

What would everyone recommend for my first straight razor?

1) Feather SS Artist Club Kamisori style: I like he idea of never having to hone a blade
2)
Val des Roses "Le Favori" frameback, wavy edge

other suggestions are welcome.

Wow, as one who braved the elements and jumped right in this is a hard choice. I used a practice razor in the beginning. The reason for the practice razor was to develop muscle memory. This is the most important step as one is using the non dominant hand a lot and shaving blind at times, along with pulling taunt your skin while controlling the razor. The practice razor will allow the beginner to learn without shredding his face. I know this is a lot of reteric to answer a simple question. What I am trying to say is there is a lot more that goes into wet/straight shave than picking the razor. Once the skills are obtained then we can worry about what razor. As an answer to you question, I would go with the Feather as it is not expensive and not a big investment if on does not like using a straight razor. Thanks for letting me preach today, and good luck.

I ended up getting the Val des Roses "Le Favori" frameback, wavy edge but perhaps I practice with a practice razor as you mentioned.

I would certainly take Doc up on his offer to try different razors. You can get started with yours, and it will take some weeks to get around to you. I have heard it said by others, and I agree, that there is no such thing as a beginner straight razor. If they are shave ready, they will cut you.

Top Bottom