What's new

Motor Scooters-info please

Good evening gents. As the title suggests, I am interested in a motor scooter. My wife has flatly stated she'd rather me ride a Harley than buy one of those. I was stunned. I figured the whole thing would go; "NO MOTORCYCLES!" She was just worried about me looking ridiculous which I do quite often. I am not exactly a college kid. She couldn't bear the thought of a six foot, 200+ lb. cowboy toodling about on one of those sissy boy multi hued puddle jumpers. So of course, lights go off in my head. Hmmm, maybe swing a used Harley sportster, possibly a Kawasaki Vulcan. Who knows? Then I thought about it and you know what? I just won't ride the damned thing that much.

This whole idea started with the notion of finding an early 80's Honda Express(hey, it has spoked wheels) and use it for the summer to save gas. Work is only 2-3 miles away. I need it for gas mileage. Insuring and dealing with a big cruiser isn't really high on my list. So, back to a scooter. Being as I am a certified curmudgeon, my thoughts immediately went to a Cushman. That idea was dropped like a hot rock when I checked prices. Wow. $4000-8000 depending on year and how well it has been restored. That certainly won't do for somewhat budget minded use. So I started fiddling around looking for scooters that look like old school Cushman's and Mustangs. I found this site. That guy makes some nice looking scooters with modern components and engines. Of course if you look closely, you will notice they are not street legal. This of course stirred my tinkerers brain and I started thinking. If people are re-powering old Cushman's with new Briggs engines, why couldn't you grab an old, non working motorcycle like a Benelli(also sold under the Ward's name) from the late 60's or early 70's, make up a frame like this gent did, insert engine and torque converter of choice,and sort of fudge the titling to get it tagged. Now, I am not talking about beautiful custom work. Yeoman functionality is the object. The point of the old bike is that no one working at a DMV station has any clue what a Benelli or any of the other old bikes looked like from that era. There were tons of them imported from all over the world and most have fallen into disrepair and non use. The key is getting one with a good title. Then when you hack your frame together, you incorporate the serial number section of xyz brand of bike into your frame work. Some of the old bikes had VIN stickers on the frame, some did not. It depends. Now I know what you are thinking. Why do this when there are tons of scoots out there? I am not against the idea. I just hate the look of most of the newer ones. The Honda Ruckus is a nice departure from then norm. They are a couple of thousand dollars as well. Just try buying one. They are a hot ticket right now and most times there is a waiting list. I was just thinking in terms of a fun project. Of course, there is usually a lot of PITA things that come with a job like this as well. I would try to use as much off the shelf components as possible. Forks, brakes, DOT approved lighting and turn signals. You get the drift. The main thing is making SURE you can tag the thing. There are provisions for titling a "home built vehicle". They come with about 1000 hurdles too. Notarised receipts for ALL parts, including the metal you make the frame from etc. So you see why I want an old bike and either make a frame or hack it's own for use with smaller wheels, smaller tank, platform for a Briggs or Robin air cooled. Yeah, I know, a regular cycle engine would be better. I want that old school look. I may even do mine a bit steam punk with some brass/chrome/gloss black paint. Another MAJOR issue is a working, accurate speedometer/odometer. I don't know how it is elsewhere but when you go in for an inspection(title, paper work, etc)the Kansas Highway Patrol has ZERO tolerance for anything they think is suspicious. They will boot you out fast if they think you are fudging an odometer. Anyroad, sorry for the long winded post but if there are some bike or scooter junkies out there who either tinker with them or can direct me to a more old school looking scoot, please do so. BTW, I have checked Vespa and they are quite expensive. They also have most of the newer look to them. Thanks guys.

Regards, Todd

P.S. For those who have dealt with this; what is the advantages/disadvantages of titling as a mootrised bicycle or motorcycle? I know the latter requires a cycle license whilst the former only requires a regular drivers license. I am thinking more toward the insurance/tagging/titling issue.

I'll start with the most material point here:

Buying a vehicle to save money is rarely a good idea. Make sure the math really works out to saving you a lot of money on gas, or admit that the purchase is just for fun. 30 miles a week will be about half a gallon on a scooter, but only 2 gallons even on trucks with quite poor mileage. If gas was 5 dollars a gallon, that'd only "save" you at most 400 dollars a year. You'd have spent more than that on a decent helmet, jacket and gloves!

What would pay for itself quickly is a bicycle :)

Anyway, preaching over, here's what I think (warning: sermon incoming)

Your whole idea is to have something totally unsafe that you can slip under the bureaucratic radar in order to have a vintage look. Middle-aged riders are dieing faster than young riders because of this kind of romanticism. You're suggesting that you'll save pennies by spending thousands and putting your life at major risk because you're infatuated with an issue of style - I'm not surprised your wife wishes you'd just buy a Harley so she doesn't have to worry about your ride falling apart out on the road.

I strongly recommend doing a motorcycle training course, getting some actual butt-in-saddle time and figuring out what matters and what things you stop caring about when you're out on the road. You'll probably find that you could care less about what your bike looks like so long as it's reliable and keeps you out of reach of the cellphone-obsessed imbeciles that are constantly putting your life at risk.

I really don't mean any of this as an insult, so please don't take it that way. I started off with a similar kind of idea. Then I got out on the road and realized that riding -- and staying alive -- are the only two things that matter. Riding is deadly serious - just look at how many R.I.P. stickers you see on the bikes at any HOG rally. If you really want to ride, ride on something safe - if you want it to be cheap to buy and run, there isn't a better bike out there than the 250 Ninja. If you want something neat looking, get into sculpture instead. And if you're on the edge, thinking you'd like to ride but you'd like to ride a sculpture, go ahead and do a riding course. It's the cheapest way to find out if it's really your thing or if the reality isn't quite what you imagined.

The main thing I would be worried about is that something like that isn't going to be able to get out of its own way should you be in a dangerous situation. Having power on hand gives you a third option besides stopping and turning. This is multiplied by you being a bigger guy (I'm also 6 feet, and just over 200 lbs., and wouldn't feel safe on a small scooter). Remember, you can't ride in bike lanes, you have to be out in traffic, and you aren't going to be even close to safe on any road that moves over about 30 mph. A bike would be safer.

I've ridden two (very different) examples of the two-wheeled motorized class of vehicles. The first was a tiny Honda scooter. It topped out at about 32 downhill full throttle, and I wouldn't want to ride it on anything but 25mph residential streets. The other was a Ninja 500, and that was bloody SCARY. I only rode it around a parking lot, and didn't get past second gear, but holy s*** did that thing feel like it would have no trouble hurtling me up to 100 in no time flat and grinding me to a pulp against the road.

If you MUST get a small motorized two-wheel vehicle, get a real motorcycle, but one with a small engine. 250 or 300cc is going to be plenty to get you around as basic transportation, will still get great gas mileage, and will have enough power that you can keep up with traffic. You don't need a big cruiser, there are plenty of smaller bikes that will fit the bill.

But if you're only going 2-3 miles, walk or bike!

The Cushman's were fun. However, I seem to recall they all had a suicide clutch, so called for a reason. I put one in a skid once and had to put my left foot on the ground. As the clutch was on the left there was no choice but to power through the skid.
Honda 50's were fun, and seems we could get them up to 55 or 60.
You might consider a used 80 cc to 125 cc motorcycle.
By the way, a cobbled up home modified bike might make it through the registration process, but it is very doubtful if you would find an insurance underwriter willing to cover it with a home modified frame.

+1!

I've been trying to ride more for exercise and if I lived within two or three miles of my office I'd be biking regularly for both the health and financial benefits.

I also second the notion that it rarely works out to save money by buying a vehicle. A lot of people convince themselves they can spend a pile of cash or go deeply in debt to buy a motorbike or a different car when it may take years to recover the cost in gas savings.

That said, I'm a great fan of motorbikes for their "toy" value and I'm intrigued by your idea of hacking a bike together. I once spent some time with a monk who lives at a monastery near here who did just exactly that. It was a BSA frame with an Onan generator engine mated to a Honda transmission if I remember correctly. He drove that thing a couple thousand miles on his summer vacation one year.

Post pics if you do it.

I don't have one, but Honda and I think Suzuki both have 600+ cc scooters. I don't think I would call them "Sissie Machines". I have never worried about what others think about my "manliness", if they don't like the looks of what I am wearing, doing, eating, etc.; S#%$# em! ;-)
Ken.

In about an hour and a half I have my motorcycle license theory test to get my learner's permit, I'm stoked.

Here (Quebec) there is a mandatory road class to take before you get your full license.

That being said I'm doing it to "save" because I'll be getting a bike for more or less free from my dad.

1979 CX750 Custom
proxy.php

This isn't the exact one, the one that I'd be getting dosn't have the original decals anymore. (My dad's does, he's got 2 of the same bike)

You'll need to check the laws in your state about licensing scooters. In Ohio they are licensed just the same as motorcycles.

Modern scooters made in the past several years have come a long way, with more power and more of a motorcycle appearance. Some are quite fast getting up to 80 mph. Short trips on Interstates is possible with the higher end scooters.

I'll start with the most material point here:

Buying a vehicle to save money is rarely a good idea. Make sure the math really works out to saving you a lot of money on gas, or admit that the purchase is just for fun. 30 miles a week will be about half a gallon on a scooter, but only 2 gallons even on trucks with quite poor mileage. If gas was 5 dollars a gallon, that'd only "save" you at most 400 dollars a year. You'd have spent more than that on a decent helmet, jacket and gloves!

Anyway, preaching over, here's what I think (warning: sermon incoming)

Your whole idea is to have something totally unsafe that you can slip under the bureaucratic radar in order to have a vintage look. Middle-aged riders are dieing faster than young riders because of this kind of romanticism. You're suggesting that you'll save pennies by spending thousands and putting your life at major risk because you're infatuated with an issue of style - I'm not surprised your wife wishes you'd just buy a Harley so she doesn't have to worry about your ride falling apart out on the road.

I strongly recommend doing a motorcycle training course, getting some actual butt-in-saddle time and figuring out what matters and what things you stop caring about when you're out on the road. You'll probably find that you could care less about what your bike looks like so long as it's reliable and keeps you out of reach of the cellphone-obsessed imbeciles that are constantly putting your life at risk.

I really don't mean any of this as an insult, so please don't take it that way. I started off with a similar kind of idea. Then I got out on the road and realized that riding -- and staying alive -- are the only two things that matter. Riding is deadly serious - just look at how many R.I.P. stickers you see on the bikes at any HOG rally. If you really want to ride, ride on something safe - if you want it to be cheap to buy and run, there isn't a better bike out there than the 250 Ninja. If you want something neat looking, get into sculpture instead. And if you're on the edge, thinking you'd like to ride but you'd like to ride a sculpture, go ahead and do a riding course. It's the cheapest way to find out if it's really your thing or if the reality isn't quite what you imagined.

Hello Spacegeezer. Well, no insult taken at all. I should have mentioned that I have ridden bikes quite a lot in my younger days and fully understand the dangers. There are only two kinds of motorcycle riders. Those who have been down, and those that are going down. Sooner or later you will lay one over due to either lack of attention, road conditions or worst of all, another driver hitting you. It is almost like Murphy's Law. It is nearly unavoidable.

I don't really get the totally unsafe references. I did not say I was going to take a hacksaw and grandpa's old Lincoln stick welder and make a motor vehicle. I certainly understand why anyone would think that because it usually happens in these cases. I hate scab work. This sort of undertaking would be for function, not show. I would never take a machine on the road with unsafe brakes, improper lighting, etc. It is NOT worth it. There are enough dangers lurking around the corners without adding that factor into it. I have access to proper tig and mig welders, plasma cutters, metal bandsaws, benders, and quite a lot of other tools handy for this sort of stuff. More importantly, I have welder friends who really know their stuff about this as well. As to it being more a fun factor, I could go along with thatl. I should have been more clear. I agree, it takes a lot of miles and months to see a payback on stuff like this. I liken it to the guy who buys the new diesel pickup and starts ranting about how his engine is good for 350,000 miles, gets better fuel mileage, etc. This is the same guy who trades if off every two years with about a 100K max on it. He never sees the life expectancy out of it. Let alone a payback on fuel savings. Not with the option costing between $4000-6000. Totally get you on that. The same applies to these projects. They eat hours and $$$. I would be happy with a standard motorcycle in the 125-250cc range. Try to buy one. No one makes them anymore. How about one from the 70's? Fat chance getting anyone to part with an old Honda or Kawasaki 175 that is street legal and has clear title. I do not really want a cruiser style and I despise the rice rocket look. Where does that leave me? Buying an old street bike that does not run and installing a new engine and maybe a drive system. Loads of work, lots of time. I have no illusions about some romantic, wind in the hair Marlon Brando image. Been there many times as a kid. I just don't want or need a $20,000 boulevard cruiser nor a bike that commands the attention of every beat cop you pass. With a Ninja that happens. Even at 250cc. Ask many of my friends.:wink::wink:

Hey, it never hurts to let people know in certain terms what lays ahead of them with "projects". Most never make it past a pile of expensive parts in the garage. Riding every day is not my goal. Just a wee puddle jumper to use when I don't want to start the truck.

Regards, Todd

you aren't going to be even close to safe on any road that moves over about 30 mph.

Agreed. I have a route mapped out that will keep me on residential streets almost all the way. NO four lane streets or any other avenue that has a speed limit over 30mph. I am constantly cringing at the college kids here in town. They ride those little scooters up and down a four lane street that is the BUSIEST in town. I swear they are going to be swallowed up at any moment by the traffic. NO THANKS.

I have 5 scooters in my stable but you said no Harleys so I don't know what your talking about then....:confused:.....:lol::lol::lol:

You old Harley riders are all alike. Riding to work in December with frosticles hanging off your nose. Diehards one and all. I love 'em too but I am not passionate about riding or touring. I just don't need a boulevard cruiser.

Regards, Todd

Is a bicycle really safer than a scooter that only goes about 35 MPH?

Absolutely, because you aren't limited to roads on a bicycle. Also, in my experience people typically show a teeny bit more respect to bicyclists than they do to scooterists, who are cruising along the middle of THEIR lane forcing them to do the speed limit. There are a lot of people that ought to be charged for battery for the threatening way they drive around those poor scooterists and try to force them into the shoulder.

I keep buying bicycles on this theory, but I find that once you have more than 5 or 6, the returns start to diminish...

:lol: you got me

Hello Spacegeezer. Well, no insult taken at all. I should have mentioned that I have ridden bikes quite a lot in my younger days and fully understand the dangers. There are only two kinds of motorcycle riders. Those who have been down, and those that are going down. Sooner or later you will lay one over due to either lack of attention, road conditions or worst of all, another driver hitting you. It is almost like Murphy's Law. It is nearly unavoidable.

I don't really get the totally unsafe references. I did not say I was going to take a hacksaw and grandpa's old Lincoln stick welder and make a motor vehicle. I certainly understand why anyone would think that because it usually happens in these cases. I hate scab work. This sort of undertaking would be for function, not show. I would never take a machine on the road with unsafe brakes, improper lighting, etc. It is NOT worth it. There are enough dangers lurking around the corners without adding that factor into it. I have access to proper tig and mig welders, plasma cutters, metal bandsaws, benders, and quite a lot of other tools handy for this sort of stuff. More importantly, I have welder friends who really know their stuff about this as well. As to it being more a fun factor, I could go along with thatl. I should have been more clear. I agree, it takes a lot of miles and months to see a payback on stuff like this. I liken it to the guy who buys the new diesel pickup and starts ranting about how his engine is good for 350,000 miles, gets better fuel mileage, etc. This is the same guy who trades if off every two years with about a 100K max on it. He never sees the life expectancy out of it. Let alone a payback on fuel savings. Not with the option costing between $4000-6000. Totally get you on that. The same applies to these projects. They eat hours and $$$. I would be happy with a standard motorcycle in the 125-250cc range. Try to buy one. No one makes them anymore. How about one from the 70's? Fat chance getting anyone to part with an old Honda or Kawasaki 175 that is street legal and has clear title. I do not really want a cruiser style and I despise the rice rocket look. Where does that leave me? Buying an old street bike that does not run and installing a new engine and maybe a drive system. Loads of work, lots of time. I have no illusions about some romantic, wind in the hair Marlon Brando image. Been there many times as a kid. I just don't want or need a $20,000 boulevard cruiser nor a bike that commands the attention of every beat cop you pass. With a Ninja that happens. Even at 250cc. Ask many of my friends.:wink::wink:

Hey, it never hurts to let people know in certain terms what lays ahead of them with "projects". Most never make it past a pile of expensive parts in the garage. Riding every day is not my goal. Just a wee puddle jumper to use when I don't want to start the truck.

Regards, Todd

I'm very glad you weren't offended. I hope someone tunes in with some help re: registration stuff.

Not an interesting project, but the Suzuki SV650 is a pretty nice looking modern bike. Hyosung makes a very similar looking 250, although I'd recommend trying to find some long-term user feedback because they're fairly new to these shores and I don't know how reliable they are or how easy parts are to find. There were some amazing Japanese 250s made in the 80s that you may be able to import or even find locally, as well, although the best ones were from the late 80s and are probably difficult to get in the U.S.A..

As for projects, I'd recommend finding a Honda CM250 or CM400 from the 80s. Tube frame, so you can modify mounting points etc easily and it should be cheap to insure/register. Hardly any of them running regularly are still using their original engine, so no one would be surprised if the engine was non-stock and the speedo/odo is usually gear driven off a wheel. You can also cut/weld and bolt just about anything on them to make it look like almost anything. Final bonus: they're usually being basically given away. Just about everyone seems to have one stashed under a porch or in the back of a garage. Theres no disappointment in cutting them up because they are neither rare nor particularly nice in their stock form - not like the CB400-4 bangers or similar.

I do not really want a cruiser style and I despise the rice rocket look. Where does that leave me?...snip...I just don't want or need a $20,000 boulevard cruiser nor a bike that commands the attention of every beat cop you pass. With a Ninja that happens. Even at 250cc. Ask many of my friends.:wink::wink:

Yeah, with those criterion, I can't see you getting a new Ninja 250. You may still want to consider a used one (2007 or older). I give you exhibit A and exhibit B, your honor. :biggrin:

Thanks all round. Lots of good information here. Yes, it would/will be substantially better to just buy an older used bike and ride it as is. Nothing ever goes easy in a project. Spacegeezer. Thanks for the recommendation of those Honda models. That is exactly the kind of information I was seeking. I will take a look around the classifieds.

Here is something that shocked me. I was surfing around Craigslist last night, looking for old bikes that fit the general description of things like the CM 250. I was stunned at what these jazbos were asking for 30 year old bikes. Many were priced the same as mid 90's and up models! No kidding. One joker had 77 Kawasaki(900 I think) listed at $4200! He was describing it as some sort of "collectors item" and "old school super bike". What a crock. I am no bike expert by ANY stretch of the imagination but even I know what most of this junk brings; little or nothing. Parts are almost unattainable, PRICEY when you do find them, and most have just had the crap thrashed out of them. Another clown had a 67 BSA 125 dirt bike that had no title, no handlebars, no carb, lots of damage, etc. He wanted $1500 for it. Try to fix that thing up! I am beginning to think that Craigslist is the classified version of ebay. A sucker born every minute. I think the CM model Hondas are a likely bunch. I couldn't remember the models. I just kept registering the old CB models in my head. I will take a look around for them. I wish I liked the more modern looking bikes. A 250 Ninja seems to be an almost universal recommendations from what I have seen by reading online cycle mags and articles. Thanks again guys.

Regards, Todd

Work for me is about ten miles away, and I was starting to think along the lines of a '60s Vespa or Lambretta. You guys are making me think otherwise; I know what kind of jerks are driving cars these days. Self-important soccer moms with cell phones welded to their ears driving Hummers and Tahoes don't see me when I'm driving my Alfa Spider as they're cruising through stop signs with barely a slow-down; I can imagine how invisible I'd be on a Vespa.

Thanks all round. Lots of good information here. Yes, it would/will be substantially better to just buy an older used bike and ride it as is. Nothing ever goes easy in a project. Spacegeezer. Thanks for the recommendation of those Honda models. That is exactly the kind of information I was seeking. I will take a look around the classifieds.

Here is something that shocked me. I was surfing around Craigslist last night, looking for old bikes that fit the general description of things like the CM 250. I was stunned at what these jazbos were asking for 30 year old bikes. Many were priced the same as mid 90's and up models! No kidding. One joker had 77 Kawasaki(900 I think) listed at $4200! He was describing it as some sort of "collectors item" and "old school super bike". What a crock. I am no bike expert by ANY stretch of the imagination but even I know what most of this junk brings; little or nothing. Parts are almost unattainable, PRICEY when you do find them, and most have just had the crap thrashed out of them. Another clown had a 67 BSA 125 dirt bike that had no title, no handlebars, no carb, lots of damage, etc. He wanted $1500 for it. Try to fix that thing up! I am beginning to think that Craigslist is the classified version of ebay. A sucker born every minute. I think the CM model Hondas are a likely bunch. I couldn't remember the models. I just kept registering the old CB models in my head. I will take a look around for them. I wish I liked the more modern looking bikes. A 250 Ninja seems to be an almost universal recommendations from what I have seen by reading online cycle mags and articles. Thanks again guys.

Regards, Todd

Another option would be stripping all the plastics off and putting a roundie headlight etc on a 250 Ninja.

Example:

proxy.php

You could focus on visual modifications, knowing you already had a reliable platform that was easy to register and insure.

Work for me is about ten miles away, and I was starting to think along the lines of a '60s Vespa or Lambretta. You guys are making me think otherwise; I know what kind of jerks are driving cars these days. Self-important soccer moms with cell phones welded to their ears driving Hummers and Tahoes don't see me when I'm driving my Alfa Spider as they're cruising through stop signs with barely a slow-down; I can imagine how invisible I'd be on a Vespa.

It depends on the kind of roads on your commute. If the average speed rarely rises above 35 mph then a 50cc scoot can survive, although you'll have to pay more attention to what's going on to make up for the other driver's lack of attention and your lack of ability to accelerate away from situations. And it's tough to make it pay for itself. Overall, I think it's worthwhile to step up to a Ninja (I don't recommend the Honda Rebel 250 or other small displacement bikes because they don't have as much power) or a 250 or 400cc scooter. Scooters are kind of nice because of the storage space under the seat, but you can get hard or soft bags for a bike or just secure a plastic crate behind yourself.

A lot of people I know are interested in 50cc scooters because you don't need to do any training or licensing to ride one. Ultimately that is a pretty irresponsible reason to go for it. There are a lot of survival strategies for two-wheeling that you do not learn driving a car, and safety lessons are a worthwhile investment and excellent first step for anyone considering getting a scooter or motorcycle. It's much cheaper than buying one, dropping it and trying to resell it because you don't want to use it anymore :p

If it's gas that's making you think about it, though, think hard about bicycling in. It's great for your health, and you'd be buying the fuel (food) anyway.

Top Bottom