What's new

Feather AC vs Dovo Shavette w/ green insert & Personna?

Thank you both for the suggestions! I'll stick with the regular pro blades for a while, then!
Again, great choice. You're getting excellent advice here. I learned the Feather AC using the ProSuper blades, but now that I'm comfortable with it, I've decided to revisit the Pros. I suspect that, once you're comfortable with the razor, the choice of blade is secondary. (True of DE razors, too.)

Alright, so I've just shaved with the Feather SS, and I'm hooked! I prepped the same way I do every day, used the same soap, etc., and had the smoothest most comfortable shave I can remember in a long time. This is dangerous... if it keeps up I'll have to start selling my standard straights!

The SS does ask for a steeper angle than I'm used to with straights, but I got the hang of it very quickly. I shave N-S in my first pass, then ears to nose on the cheeks and S-N on the neck for the second pass. This was effortless with the Feather, and a few days of beard growth were taken care off in a short time. I really love this razor...

By the way, the scales look much nicer in person, and (for me at least) manage to "get out of the way" pretty well when shaving. I was thinking I would have to replace them, but there's really no need to. Maybe one day, if I'm bored, I'll do it.

Anyway, many thanks to the fellow B&Ber who sold it to me for a bargain. I might have to PIF something soon to give back a little.

I agree the scale doesn't feel like flimsy plastic but a hightech polymer.

The SS is nice but i let mine go. I don't like the wave on the shank.

I prefer the extra weight and balance of the dx but it s a personal preference

Sent from Mars

Alright, so I've just shaved with the Feather SS, and I'm hooked! I prepped the same way I do every day, used the same soap, etc., and had the smoothest most comfortable shave I can remember in a long time.
Congrats, way to go! :thumbsup:

I put a fresh Pro blade in my DX today, and the shave was effective but rough, and did nothing to change my strong preference for Pro Super blades. Maybe the Pro will mellow a few shaves in, but for me it feels closer to shaving with a DE-blade shavette, while the Pro Super nudges the dial in the direction of a traditional straight. YMMV, needless to say.

Congrats, way to go! :thumbsup:

I put a fresh Pro blade in my DX today, and the shave was effective but rough, and did nothing to change my strong preference for Pro Super blades. Maybe the Pro will mellow a few shaves in, but for me it feels closer to shaving with a DE-blade shavette, while the Pro Super nudges the dial in the direction of a traditional straight. YMMV, needless to say.

Funny thing is i did not see any difference between the super and regular when i shaved so i am stick with the regular pro as they are cheaper.

I realise this is a case of YMMV

Sent from Mars

You need to go to your local barbershop and ask the most experienced barber there to show you how to properly strop. The only down side to this is they will talk your ear off about straight razors. If that's not available try contacting a member, plus look a lots of videos.
The problem is, most barbers these days don't know squat about a strop and a straight blade. Most don't even use them anymore anyway because states have rules about using fresh clean blades on clients. Therefore, they use shavettes and primarily the ones that take a cut in half DE blade. I went to "2% barbers" in Rancho Cucamonga, CA and the guy that shaved me immediately starts shaving me AGAINST THE GRAIN!!!! I stopped him and asked, "WHAT, ARE YA NEW?!?!?!!!!" I was thouroughly unimpressed! I said, sorry bud, but I'll just take the hair cut. I don't have time for armatures with my face!

To the OP: Feather Artist club SS is the BEST!

'Nuff said.

Last edited:
The problem with the Feather AC is that the first 2-3 shaves are never as velvety as a shave with a well-honed and well-stropped straight razor.

The Feather AC is very effective, but for the first shaves with a new blade it lacks the smoothness of a classic straight, something that could be remedied somewhat with an initial (only) palm stropping, which is not as scary as it sounds and is now explained in one of the Mastro Livi School videos.
Geometry of the Feather AC makes these razors unsuitable for smoothing the edge on conventional strops.

In any case; I look at the Feather ACs as a solution when a straight razor is inconvenient (e.g, travelling), not as a workaround that eliminates the need to learn to strop properly; something anyone who has mastered the skill of honing and stropping will probably agree with.

Regarding the blades, I use currently "Professional Super" blades, but it really does not make a noticeable difference to me whether I use these or "Professional" blades.

B.

Last edited:
Interestingly, I had a very smooth first shave with it yesterday! I might send my Dovo Inox straight to be re honed by Jarrod at TSS, and see how it compares, but one shave in with the Feather and I'm not noticing any downsides!

Interestingly, I had a very smooth first shave with it yesterday! I might send my Dovo Inox straight to be re honed by Jarrod at TSS, and see how it compares, but one shave in with the Feather and I'm not noticing any downsides!

Remember that everyone's face is different. What works for you might work differently for someone else.

Many people LOVE the kai mild blades and found it smoother for me that was the worst blade ever.

Sent from Mars

Yeah, it's always odd how differently razors work for different people. I'm grateful for all suggestions and tips, though.

Speaking of which, how do you all store your Feather razors? Should it be kept out of the bathroom like traditional straights, or can it live on the sink like a DE?

The problem with the Feather AC is that the first 2-3 shaves are never as velvety as a shave with a well-honed and well-stropped straight razor.

The Feather AC is very effective, but for the first shaves with a new blade it lacks the smoothness of a classic straight, something that could be remedied somewhat with an initial (only) palm stropping, which is not as scary as it sounds and is now explained in one of the Mastro Livi School videos.
Geometry of the Feather AC makes these razors unsuitable for smoothing the edge on conventional strops.

In any case; I look at the Feather ACs as a solution when a straight razor is inconvenient (e.g, travelling), not as a workaround that eliminates the need to learn to strop properly; something anyone who has mastered the skill of honing and stropping will probably agree with.

Regarding the blades, I use currently "Professional Super" blades, but it really does not make a noticeable difference to me whether I use these or "Professional" blades.

B.
Have you tried the "KAI" blades instead of the Feathers in that Artist's Club??? To me, it made a big difference in "smoothness." I also agree that a palm strop is the way to go on any new blade, including DE blades in a safety razor.

Just a quick update, in case anyone ever reads this thread when pondering the same decision I made:

I'm 4 shaves in with the Feather SS, and the blade is starting to tug a bit. 4 shaves is roughly what I get out of DE blades, so I was hoping for more out of the Feather, but we'll see if this was a fluke. Heck, maybe I'm just too picky, and like a super-sharp blade? I do only get 3 shaves out of a freshly honed straight (which is part of why I went the Feather route in the first place), so maybe that's the problem...

I have been palm-stropping after every shave, to get rid of soap scum, so maybe I'll try foregoing that next time and see if if the blade lasts longer (or shorter). For what it's worth, my palm-stropping consists of taking the blade out, holding it carefully by one end, and stropping it gently on the side of my palm. I don't do any "laps," I just run strop it enough to get the whole blade (since only a bit of it touches the palm at any given time).

In other news, I've just received a Weckprep orderly razor today. It was new in box, with 5 extra blades. I took it out of the package, and quickly took the "open comb" attachment off. I'll shave with it as is for a while (probably the duration of this blade), and then I'll probably put new scales on it. For now, though, it looks great! Especially given the $5 price tag...

View attachment 673343

Top Bottom