What's new

Missus is not on board

I used B&B recently when a new shaving brush and razor arrived after some soap. I told me wife as a Moderator on B&B it is my duty to try out new products and report on them to fellow B&Bers. I said I was doing a public service.

She didn't believe me - but did laugh!

Haha! for science!

It's like the twilight zone, I swear I've had this conversation before... Apparently ater years of nagging because I didn't shave enough, now I like shaving too much! SWMBO and I also fail to see eye to eye on my RAD.

Please provide an update if you come up with a winning argument :lol:

100% this, I'm not shaving for a solid month until my birthday just because she complained about my shaving but I know she dislikes facial hair even more. Can't even use xxvaleria's idea cause she has so little very fine hair on her arms/legs she doesn't need to shave.

And all I have is 2 soaps, 1 AS, 1 ASB, 1 DE, 1 straight and 2 brushes (1 boar and 1 badger). ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mine puts up with some of AD's...... running - she wishes I would do more of. Although races can be expensive. Especially marathons. Most are if not $100 entry fee then close. Shoes? $100+ a pop. I have always rotated about 4 pair. Of course, need to do a few 5k's and 10k's and at least one half marathon in a marathon training cycle.

Watches - regular purchases, but very little priced above $100. That lasted from 2010 to late 2012 - so almost three years. Only watch related purchases since Dec 2012 have been a few straps and a few batteries. She got a two or three watches since I last bought one. One as a gift from me.

Fountain pens - have used them for years, but since December 2012? I have acquired through one means or another over 20. That doesn't count the 8 that went missing on me a year ago. It was at least six between January 1 and the end of April this year. (3 Esterbrooks, 2 Pelikans and a TWSBI), not less than 200 ml of ink. (5 colors minimum) This is still a very active thing. Pens are generally less expensive than watches and take up less space.

Shaving stuff - again, while I have been back shaving with a DE since 3/2014, it was always a small purchase here and there. Then I was PIF'd a 67 black handle Super Speed a couple of weeks or so ago by Claudel Xerxes, (Thanks!!) Then I picked up another vintage - this time a birth year/qtr D1 (58) Flare Tip Super Speed. The other day, I cleaned up the Micro Touch One. I haven't used it since the second Super Speed arrived. The next razor will likely be an adjustable. Not sure when. I have my hand in on a couple of other things right now though.

Picked up a new soap on Tuesday - a Beehive Soap Bay Rum. I know the owner of the company and she is reformulating and asked me to test it and give her some feedback. This is a serious sized sample too - 6 oz!! So this particular one was a freebie. Already after using it only twice I like it well enough I would buy it. I have a couple more shaves before I have to do up my feedback.

I haven't tried preaching the DE life to her. That won't happen. Fountain pens - she prefers roller balls. She has mostly been supportive of the running, and gets it a little with watches. She is up to 4 or 5, couple of them are just cheapo fashion watches. One has like 10 or 11 different straps - black, two browns, two greens, two blues, white, red, pink. That was the one that got her interested.

31 years married. Many hobbies have come and gone. DE shaving she is "ok" with...I smell good. The AD's have raised some eyebrows at times and probably will continue to do so. She keeps me in check to a certain extent. We're a good team that way.

I did pick up a baby blue Lady Gillette and a big batch of Sterling Soap's Witchy Woman. She's not totally sold on the DE ways herself, but she does "get it" a bit better now. She's amazed at how much longer she can go between shaves and how smooth the results are.

Don't try to get her to logically understand it. That will never work. Use logic yourself to avoid the wrath. That beats the couch or guest room by a mile.

After years of nagging for not shaving as much since leaving the Armed Forces I decided to take up DE, in doing so I have in a couple of months amassed 6 razors and various creams, a bowl and other bits and bobs.
Today razor 5 and 6 turned up a nice win from Ebay of two techs for £11 inc p&p, missus starts questioning why do you need more? Because they are different styles
What are you going to do with them? Use them
Are you going to buy more? Might do
Why? Because I can
But I don't understand you can only use one at a time? I don't understand makeup but you have loads of it.
But you need different types, what 32 different lipsticks? You can only use one at a time.

She's not talking to me now.
Epic says it all.

But if you don't "save them" they might start to disappear and maybe even become extinct........

That's my story and I am sticking with it :yesnod:

After years of nagging for not shaving as much since leaving the Armed Forces I decided to take up DE, in doing so I have in a couple of months amassed 6 razors and various creams, a bowl and other bits and bobs.
Today razor 5 and 6 turned up a nice win from Ebay of two techs for £11 inc p&p, missus starts questioning why do you need more? Because they are different styles
What are you going to do with them? Use them
Are you going to buy more? Might do
Why? Because I can
But I don't understand you can only use one at a time? I don't understand makeup but you have loads of it.
But you need different types, what 32 different lipsticks? You can only use one at a time.

She's not talking to me now.

I've had almost the exact same conversation with my wife with similar result. I too have amassed quite a collection in a short amount of time. Over 6 months I've bought 7 brushes, 9 razors, 5 lather bowls, 7 or 8 creams, 3 or 4 aftershave splashes and 3 balms. Add to that alum, witch hazel, styptic pencil, razor blades, brush stands, razor stands, etc. She thinks I'm nuts. I've now learned to answer differently than you did. When asked if I will be buying any more, I say "I have all I need right now." And if I see something I like and feel I need on the bay or elsewhere, I just have it shipped to my office instead of the house. I make sure the collection that resides in the bathroom is the same and everything else is put away in another room. That means I have 4 brushes and 1 razor in the bathroom on a shelf and stand. Only one splash, witch hazel, 3 creams, pre-shave oil, blade bank and a small stack of blades in the medicine cabinet. This way what she sees on a daily basis never changes. And she is happy. Now I can feed my need for a reasonably priced Old Type and birth year razor. I have come to accept the AD. No sense in fighting it. It's now all about how I present the collection. Understated and hidden away. Seems to be working.

Last edited:
Me and mine have a mutual understanding... she loves her makeup stuff and I love my shaving stuff. We don't give each other too much crap about what we buy. It's actually a good arrangement:thumbup:

I shared my TOBS Rose with SWMBO... Then got her a brush... Then we went shopping for her own razor.
Now she has all her own gear. We share shaving creams, (but she's not into soaps). She makes suggestions, and sometimes we treat ourselves to something from AoS. It is so much more enjoyable to share the interest. It was the scents and aromas that sparked her interest.

As for logic. Logic says, you only need one razor, blade type, soap and brush. Don't go there or you will dig a hole so deep, fossils will be your only friends.

LOL. Thats why my wife and I each have our own accounts, divide the bills based upon percentage of out combined income that each of us make and as long as they bills are paid and savings goals are met, its not questions ask.
I buy golf clubs all the time and she never says a word to me, just like she buys clothes all the time and I dont say a word to her.

There's no explaining it to them. They have 58 different shades of pink lipstick, 98 different colors of nail polish, 65 purses, and 285 pairs of shoes...... but don't understand why you wound need 20 razors. That's just the way it goes.

I used to rarely shave - once a week was about all I could take. Since taking up de wetshaving, I've been mostly every other day with some consecutive days mixed in.
The other morning I was shaving before work (which is super rare as I usually shave in the evening) and my wife asked why I was shaving. I told her because we were having a team lunch today and she said "that's stupid"...
Truth is any reasonable excuse is good enough. :001_rolle

Enjoy your quiet time!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Mine peered in the open cabinet while I was shaving the other day.

"Locura," she muttered, which I believe means "madness" in her native Spanish.

AA

Years of nagging you to shave more often has nothing to do with her accepting your new hobby. Imagine mentioning to your wife that it would be nice if she took more pride in how she dressed; how many hundreds of dollars on new clothes would it take her buying before you would begin complaining? Imagine wishing your wife would keep house better; how many new appliances, storage systems, and furnishings would be acceptable before you would begin complaining? It's not that you're shaving more, it's that you're buying more and more product for no apparent reason.

Collecting shaving equipment is not like owning many pairs of shoes or shades of lipstick. A woman wears shoes and lipstick in public and is judged by all around her by how she looks. A man does not wear his razor, brush, or soap; the only thing that is apparent to others is fragrance, and that's invisible. People do not judge men by the quality of his shave in anything remotely like the way women are judged by their appearance.

It is not reasonable, logical, or understandable to collect many varieties of shaving products. Many forum members here have made peace with the fact that their hobby is frivolous, strange, and even humorous. Many have wives who accept the fact that sometimes men engage in frivolous, strange, humorous hobbies; others have wives who do not understand that. Still others simply are not in a place financially to afford spending money on shaving gear.

This is not a matter of logic, nor a matter of good grooming. It's a matter of communication, understanding, and humility on both your parts. It's marriage.

Last edited:
My wife was starting to question me when my brush collection passed twelve.

One evening while traveling for work I came out of the hotel on a rainy night to find a show car parked out of the rain. I think it was a 29 Ford Model A Coupe. It had a Chrysler Hemi engine that didn't quite fit in the engine compartment so it was hanging out of the sides. Every piece of metal was either polished brightly (chrome of aluminum) or painted to match the sparkling mustard yellow exterior paint. It had been to a local car show and the owner wanted to keep it out of the rain. My guess is that there was roughly between $100,000 and $150,000 spent on that car.

I took pictures and showed them to my wife, with the reminder that I really didn't have any expensive hobbies.

Never heard another complaint. In fact she started to participate, telling me when she had seen shaving stuff at thrift shops or even the 99 cent store.

Sadly, she passed away nearly a year ago. After being together for 46 years I miss her greatly. As I began to go through the house to prepare to live alone, I stumbled upon her very extensive doll collection. I knew she had some, but I would have guessed the collection to be about 10% of what it was.

I think I got further with the car pictures than I would have by bringing up her doll collection.

My wife was starting to question me when my brush collection passed twelve.

One evening while traveling for work I came out of the hotel on a rainy night to find a show car parked out of the rain. I think it was a 29 Ford Model A Coupe. It had a Chrysler Hemi engine that didn't quite fit in the engine compartment so it was hanging out of the sides. Every piece of metal was either polished brightly (chrome of aluminum) or painted to match the sparkling mustard yellow exterior paint. It had been to a local car show and the owner wanted to keep it out of the rain. My guess is that there was roughly between $100,000 and $150,000 spent on that car.

I took pictures and showed them to my wife, with the reminder that I really didn't have any expensive hobbies.

Never heard another complaint. In fact she started to participate, telling me when she had seen shaving stuff at thrift shops or even the 99 cent store.

Sadly, she passed away nearly a year ago. After being together for 46 years I miss her greatly. As I began to go through the house to prepare to live alone, I stumbled upon her very extensive doll collection. I knew she had some, but I would have guessed the collection to be about 10% of what it was.

I think I got further with the car pictures than I would have by bringing up her doll collection.

Very mice story jim and sorry for your loss. She must have been an amazing wife.

Sent from Mars

I made a mistake about 6 months ago and it is biting me now.

I told my wife I was joining the year long restraint and not buying anything for 365 days.
I went out of the restraint when I bought into a Kickstarter event but she doesn't understand that that is what happened.
Today, for about the 4th time in a few months, she looked at the one small shelf I have in my "office" for my shaving gear.
(NOTE: some more stuff is in a box but she sees that all the time, too.)

She said: "I thought you weren't buying anything for 365 days."
I replied: "That plan ended a few months ago so it doesn't matter anymore."
She responded: "Hmmph."

I wonder what she'll say when she noticed the 6 Old Spice mugs replacing the cheap dog dishes which hold the soaps....
Probably nothing positive.

Top Bottom