What's new

Not even a newbie. Just want to try it.

So. I might as well have been born yesterday as far as pipes and cigars go. How would I go about just trying a pipe and cigar just to see if I like it? I mean I like the smell and I think I would enjoy it but don't want to break the bank finding out.

Thanks for taking the time with the less-than-noob.

Guess I should have introduced myself. I joined B&B for the shaving forum. Didn't really know these other forums existed. I just started DE wet shaving a couple of weeks ago. Thought I'd venture over here and see if I could get pointed in the right direction.

There is a local tobacco shop but I didn't want to walk in without hearing from y'all.

BTW - kind of the kick in the pants to check out this forum came after I opened up the Beaver WoodWright Captain's Pipe shave soap.

Thanks!

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Hi, Bill. Although, it seems that you've had you fair share of involvement in this site, so far, welcome to B&B!

If you're looking to try for cheap, head to your local gas station, convenience, or drug store and pick up a corn cob pipe (more than likely it will be a Missouri Meerschaum) and a pouch of Captain Black pipe tobacco. I've never tried Captain Black, but I've heard it recommended as a starter tobacco quite a few times. You'll also want a pack of pipe cleaners, and a tamper. You can just use the head of a nail or screw as a tamper if one's not available.

Maybe try to find a pouch of Carter Hall too. You'll have an easier time learning the basics of smoking a pipe without all of the flavor toppings.

As for a cigar, you can probably just ask the cigar shop for their recommendation. Also, check and see if they have tinned tobacco. If they have Dunhill blends, they're an even better choice than Carter Hall or Captain Black.

I have to admit, my first was Capt black in the white pouch, and the Capt black in the gold pouch, I really liked the Gold!
(Then I started onto Lane 1q, then other Aromatics! RABBIT HOLE)

Top Bottom