What's new

Looking for the best Sandalwood AS/cologneout there today

Something with a sweet nice smell of true Sandalwood, preferably a pure one, natural essence of Sandalwood, and not the synthetic version that is most commercially available

I want both AS and cologne, and prefer something that the smell will be long lasting (and with a real pure Sandalwood inside of it, so I guess all the cheap ones are out of the question)

BTW
I saw D.R. Harris Sandalwood Aftershave Splash and TOBS Sandalwood to be very well known, what do you think of them? and is there anything else that will be "amazing" ?

If you can find the discontinued Floris sandalwood, run to it.

+1 ... I love the smell of Sandalwood in the air, but it makes my skin itch, so I don't use it very often.

Floris Santal is my top-tier ASL. I love the stuff, and my skin doesn't react to it at all.

I had no idea it was discontinued. I've got about 30% left in a bottle, which should keep me going for another year or two.

Floris Santal is still available from Floris. Floris Sandalwood is not, even though Basenotes, for one, seems to conflate the two!

Going by memory, Floris Sandalwood was a creamy, very pure, Mysore sandalwood in all of its natural woody complexity. Floris Santal is sharper, with more nonsandalwood things going on in it such as, if I recall, bergamot and lavender, and Basenotes says, cloves. Arguably more an evocation of sandalwood than an actual sandalwood, or at least Mysore. Nevertheless a nice scent. There is little true Mysore sandalwood left in the world. Modern sandalwood accents are forced to make do with other components, so says Luca Turin.

Going by memory, Floris Sandalwood was a creamy, very pure, Mysore sandalwood in all of its natural woody complexity. Floris Santal is sharper, with more nonsandalwood things going on in it such as, if I recall, bergamot and lavender, and Basenotes says, cloves. Arguably more an evocation of sandalwood than an actual sandalwood, or at least Mysore. Nevertheless a nice scent. There is little true Mysore sandalwood left in the world. Modern sandalwood accents are forced to make do with other components, so says Luca Turin.

exactly.

The discontinued Floris Sandalwood contained real Mysore Sandalwood and was a pure creamy, Mysore sandalwood fragrance.

That being said, I also very much enjoy the current Floris Santal, but it is not a dominant sandalwood. It's a very nice fragrance containing many notes, sandalwood being one of them. IMO, one of the best current British fragrances for gentleman.

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Art of Shaving's Sandalwood Oil is what I use as a baseline for what I think sandalwood smells like.

In the upper right:

AA

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard all accolades for TOBS sandalwood so i bought it. Great performance but NOT sandalwood. Same with D.R. Harris. Stirling sandalwood is VERY good. AOS is real sandalwood too.

Top Bottom