What's new

Sheaffer Snorkel

The idea of using a fountain pen rather than consuming disposables appeals to me. While researching the available options (great information here--my thanks to all of you!), I remembered seeing a fountain pen of some sort with my Dad's things.
<br><br>
Today I found it. This is a Sheaffer Snorkel, no?
<br><br>
If not, what could it be?
<br><br>
Does it prefer certain ink(s)?
<br><br>
Could I use different nibs with it? If so, any particular type/style/model/whatever?

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Snorkels came in two different styles of nib, the open nib and the wrap around Triumph nib. You might be able to use some other nibs with it but changing nibs would be difficult and very risky.

You can use most any fountain pen ink in it but the sac inside it is certainly at least over 50 years old and almost certainly will need to be changed. That is also true for the seals and gaskets as well. While restoring a Sheaffer Snorkel is not a particularly difficult task it might not be the best candidate for a first experiment. I'd send it to someone like Danny Fudge who does good work quickly at a reasonable price.

I'm kind of new to The Nib forum, I have a Sheaffer PFM that I think needs to be restored. How do I contact Mr. Fudge about sending him my pen?
Never mind I was able to look him up and since some of you recommend him I will probably send him my pen to get restored. Thanks

Last edited:
My Snorkel arrived from Omaha last week. I loaded it with some ink samples, and it works great!

Thanks for the advice! :thumbup1:

(I wrote a note for you folks with the pen, but don't have access to a color scanner, and my old phone takes lousy photos, so this is all you get. :sad:)

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
My Snorkel arrived from Omaha last week. I loaded it with some ink samples, and it works great!

Thanks for the advice! :thumbup1:

(I wrote a note for you folks with the pen, but don't have access to a color scanner, and my old phone takes lousy photos, so this is all you get. :sad:)

Keep the note. Resurrect this thread when you get access to a color scanner or a decent camera. :thumbup:

Glad to hear that Mr. Fudge fixed it up right!

Top Bottom