What's new

Anyone else feel that witch hazel without alcohol does nothing for you?

I've tried to like it (Thayer's Rose and Cucumber & Aloe), but to me it just feels like I'm splashing room temperature water on my face. Unlike an alum block plus aftershave, I get no positive feedback with any alcohol-free witch hazel. I don't feel any skin tightening or anything, not even if I have some mild razor burn from an aggressive razor.

Anyone else besides me have the same thoughts?

I've tried to like it (Thayer's Rose and Cucumber & Aloe), but to me it just feels like I'm splashing room temperature water on my face. Unlike an alum block plus aftershave, I get no positive feedback with any alcohol-free witch hazel. I don't feel any skin tightening or anything, not even if I have some mild razor burn from an aggressive razor.

I use that same Thayers quite often. I like it. I like the smell and it makes my face feel good and clean ( could be in my head I guess). As soon as I finish shaving I rinse my face with cold water, then I dry my face and put on the WH. Then I let the WH air dry completely before hitting my face with AS.

Tonight I tried 888 instead of Thayers. I like it too. I always use an after shave after.

I can tell the difference between an irritation-free and irritating shave when splashing on Thayers WH. Oh sure, it's not nearly as pronounced as an alcohol based AS, but the diffrrence is there. It's kinda scary to me actually. Usually I wont feel anything, but when I do, I say, "Uh, oh" because I follow with an alcohol based AS and now know whats coming!

It's not made to sting but to bring comfort.
It gives me no comfort, no nothing at all. Again, my skin thinks it's just splashing room temperature water on my face. I guess I don't have sensitive skin to reap the benefits of it.

Oh well, it's not the end of the world for me. I just wanted to see if anyone else had the same results. I'll stick with the Spanish Aqua Velva and Proraso aftershaves for comfort.

Thanks guys for your opinions.
:biggrin1::biggrin1:

Last edited:
I generally mix my WH with my AS (just a palm mix, nothing special), but I do sometimes just splash WH on its own and I do feel a slickness I don't get from AS. It's particularly noticeable on my head.

It's not made to sting but to bring comfort.

+1.

It's a toner and moisturizer. It's not meant to burn. I can feel it tighten a bit if I have a particularly bad shave but it's very subtle (and only if I don't use alum).

I personally like it before a AS splash. But it's not for everyone.

Last edited:
+1.

It's a toner and moisturizer. It's not meant to burn. I can feel it tighten a bit if I have a particularly bad shave but it's very subtle (and only if I don't use alum).

I personally like it before a AS splash. But it's not for everyone.
Just to be clear... what is meant by a "toner"?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Assuredly it does ... toner means a vasoconstrictor which closes pores, right? Curtails nicks from bleeding?

AA

I don't like using alcohol-based products and I find Thayers' alcohol-free witch hazel to be very nice. Its also great to have around as a "refresher" after working or playing outside on a hot day.

Just to be clear... what is meant by a "toner"?

Toner is water based solution to cleanse the skin and keep moisture in upper layers of skin to prevent dehydration.

As opposed to an astringent that is also water based but is meant to constrict the skin and usually contains alcohol. An astringent is a more assertive toner if you will, but not really meant to moisturize skin. (Although most astringents or AS products contain other skin care ingredients to help with this).

At least, that's my understanding. Regardless WH is a great natural skin care product and true WH is an astringent.

Last edited:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I've been using Thayer's unscented with aloe every day for about three years. Great stuff. I follow it with balm.

But I have to admit that guys who say they "like the burn" after using any product make me a little nervous.

Witch hazel does nothing for me, as well. I bought a bottle of Thayer's when I first started this journey, used it once, then PIF'd it. I am fortunate to have elephant hide skin, so I love a strong alcohol and menthol aftershave. Or Captain's Choice Cat O'Nine Tails, for the burn.

I agree with you. I have used both Thayers toner and the astringent. I prefer the astringent in either peach or lemon. I use it after every shave. I tried alum but it irritates my neck. Thayers is soothing.

Top Bottom