What's new

Puppy flea and tick meds

We just got a puppy last week. This week makes her 6 weeks old. The other night I found a tick on her and removed it.

I've heard the collars aren't safe for puppies (although that's what we used on our dogs growing up)

Can anyone recommend a good flea and tick medication?

She's probably 5 +/- pounds

My mom gave her a dose of Revolution they have for their puppy, but $50 for 3 doses seems pretty steep

Spray your yard. Ticks and flees live in the ground and only feed on your dog, jumping off to lay eggs in the ground where they hatch and return to your pet.

It will take two spraying 10 days apart to kill the adults and then the new hatchlings.

You should NOT let your puppy in the sprayed area for a few days (depending on what you use).

I've never been a fan of poisoning my dog to get rid of flees.

I'm not a fan of poisoning my dogs either. But the risk to my family of contracting Lyne disease (I've had it twice) here in the Northeast outweighs that concern.

We use Frontline

What type of dog?

We buy Sentry Fiproguard from Tractor Supply for about $30 dollars. We have a Shuh tzu which is about 16lbs. We buy the one for the largest dog (Which cost the same as for the small dog) and then dose out .65ml (which is the dose for a small dog). This will stretch out a 3 month supply into 12 months.

What type of dog?

We buy Sentry Fiproguard from Tractor Supply for about $30 dollars. We have a Shuh tzu which is about 16lbs. We buy the one for the largest dog (Which cost the same as for the small dog) and then dose out .65ml (which is the dose for a small dog). This will stretch out a 3 month supply into 12 months.

She's part black lab and part Great Pyrenees

We live on 40 acres of woods and fields that is in the middle of thousands of acres of National forest so we can only treat our dogs and we use Frontline Plus.
Works greats and our dogs live happy healthy lives into their teens which is normal for their line.

It does say in fine print on the back, near the bottom under Directions for use, ".....do not apply to dogs younger than 8 weeks."

I've used a few products over the years on my two dogs, and Aussie-Lab mix and a Labradoodle.

Frontline Plus
K9 Advantix II
Liberty 50
Vectra 3D

For what it's worth, I won't use Frontline anymore. I moved to South Carolina for a short year a few years ago (I'm back in WI now). Within three days of my arrival in SC, both dogs had fleas. I had applied a new dose of Frontline Plus to both just one week prior. I'm no entomologist, but maybe it's that fleas & ticks are more resistant to certain chemicals in these products in certain regions, and I happened to stumble upon some that fit that description. (I also overnighted in KY during the move to SC)

I am trying a new-to-me product, Vectra 3D, based on a friend's suggestion. This friend has had show dogs (Newfoundlands) for years. The area around my home is not heavily wooded, but I do take them to such areas on a regular basis. Fortunately both have white bellies, so fleas & ticks are more easily detected.

Frontlline does not repel ticks and fleas it only kills after the dog is bit. If you move to a new area, the fleas and ticks will need to be "trapped out" so to speak.

When we go for a walk in the woods, our dog may in fact come home with some ticks and maybe a few fleas if exposed. But the ones that we do not find and remove manually die in a short period of time.

We have used Trifexis, Frontline Plus in the past. Currently on Sentinel Spectrum. We have a lot of deer in the area. They come to the front porch and eat our flowers. So, occasional tick is inevitable but very rare.

working in pet stores season after season has taught that the natural or eco-friendly stuff is junk. frontline and any frontline derivatives have lost effectiveness due to overuse and under-duration. start early and run late in the season. during flea season i also keep a small bowl of water under a night light to catch any stragglers. olive oil is great at killing ticks, so you can remove them safely.

I used to live in tick-infested areas and live now in another tick-ridden area. Lyme disease and TBE are very nasty diseases with the potential to cripple a person or animal for life. I make my own tick repellent from essential oils (eucalyptus, clove, citronella) mixed into a carrier oil (coconut oil works well for skin). Ticks and insect don't like the smell. It's not offensive to most people. Not sure if that is a workable solution for a furry dog, but maybe worth a shot due to not being toxic like the common chemical hammers.

Top Bottom