What's new

A question regarding different grinds

Hey all! Just had my straight razor baptism last night. Bad shave, no blood. No visible scratches. I'd call that a win. I'm mostly just glad I didn't have to go anywhere today, otherwise I'd have to do a LOT of cleanup with a different razor, and on irritated skin to boot. It's a GD 66 honed up by a reputable B&B member, so no worries on that front. With practice I'm sure I'll get better. In the meantime, I'm looking at getting another straight or two, for a backup and for practicing honing. I'm hoping that by the time the 66 needs a touch up I can manage it. I just don't like the idea of shipping the razors out.

Of course, this is a race against time, since an edge wielded by a newbie has a significantly shorter life expectancy than one wielded by a more experienced individual. So, what I really want help with is, like the title says, figuring out the different grinds. I've heard of them, and understand the basic concepts, but I'll be darned if I can spot the differences in most ebay pictures. Actually, if I'm honest, I'm not even sure what the GD 66 qualifies as.:blushing: Is it full, half hollow, or somewhere in between?

The reason I'm asking is because I'd like to try a much heavier grind. The GD's feedback is annoying at my experience level, and I noticed it handled going over an area a 2nd time much more smoothly than 2 days growth. I'm curious to see if something closer to a wedge would be easier to handle for when I have a few days worth of growth to remove. So, are there specific vintage makes/models I should be looking for on ebay? I recently found out that Larry at WD takes requests on the sight unseen razors. Could he have a wedge/near wedge? I thought he worked with hollowed razors only, but we've already established that I know very little about grinds. I was hoping to get one even cheaper than his reasonable prices, since I'm dipping my toes into the honing pool, but I suppose getting one from him would ensure a set bevel and reasonable geometry. Though I'm worried that I'll end up ordering a brush from him too if I go that route. My college student wallet isn't nearly fat enough for all of these ADs. . .

Thanks! Yeah, comparing the razor to that chart it definitely looks closer to the half than full. I guess I really need to find a near wedge to try--quarter hollow might not be thick/different enough to satisfy my curiosity. And I definitely don't want to go thinner than half for right now. I was also thinking a shorty would be nice. I'm not a giant, so the 3 inch blade currently seems a little excessive. But it might also have something to do with having tried a shavette with the DE blades first.

quarter hollow might not be thick/different enough to satisfy my curiosity

I think you might be surprised by the difference between 1/2 and 1/4 hollow. You wouldn't think that, that little metal would make a big difference, but it does. =)

You're probably right, and 1/4 might very well end up my favorite grind. . . But I'd still want to try a wedge! :w00t:
I never got the RAD on the DE side of B&B, but I think I'm in a whole lot of trouble with SRs. . .

Yah somehow one of each grind comes to mind....hahaha...dont get the boys started on brands or you might run out of storage space in your bathroom....lol

Oh, I dare not store them in the bathroom--just living in Florida is enough of a rusting hazard. Plus, I like to take long, hot showers. I actually ordered two razors off of fleabay Monday night--a wedge (well, probably near) and something with some hollowing. How much I couldn't really tell from the pics, but it had fast shipping and supposedly bone scales. I liked the look of both razors, including scales, and they were in good condition. Might not even need any restoration on the hollowed one. The wedge looked like it could use a little sandpaper progression or possibly just good polishing. Will decide once it gets here. Might even skip that for now and go straight to honing. I got some 3M 1k wet/dry to try a bevel set and a coticule from TSS is on the way. Wish me luck!

May be tough to find a new production wedge but perhaps not impossible. I tried one and thought my troubles were over 'till I realised how warped it was. I just went back to hollows and am still learning to hone 2 years into it but that's another thread. But you may find a good wedge without any warpage yet.

Top Bottom