What's new

Looking for a sexy razor for under $200 usd

Hi all,

I live in Australia. I have a straight razor that you put refill blades in. Just ordered a sight unseen from Larry. Waiting for delivery but from all the comments I feel pretty confident about its quality.

If this razor of Larry's it great and I want to continue straight shaving after building experience, what is a awesome razor for the above mentioned price. I know everyone has an opinion but that's the point. I'll get a great range to check out.

I have $300aud so let's let the names start flying.

"Another day, a whole 'nother set of possibilities."

MacGyver

New or vintage? Personally I'd go with vintage. Too many good brands to list, really. You should surf through the "What straight did you use today?" thread and find the ones that appeal to you. Most posters will put maker in their posts, so you can generate a list of ones that you like.

EDIT: Many vintage razors will come in well under your price point.

Many new razors will also come in under 200usd. The only new razor I have is from The Superior Shave, but Maggards also carries a few. TSS has a lot of very nice razors between 100 and 200 dollars (including some gold plated, mother of pearl scaled Dovos).

There's some charm in buying vintage, but some safety in buying new (e.g. the metal has not lost its temper due to improper restoration, the geometry is right, and you can return it if anything is wrong).

Some of the nicest custom razors I own come from Brian Brown and Jerry Stark. Either of these guys will create for you a totally bespoke razor made to your exact specs and should come in pretty close to your price range.

Another fair dinkum choice is a Ralf Aust. This is possibly the best production razor available. Again, many models from which to choose. Check out Straight Razor Designs for a look at what's available.

Here are a few pictures..

$image.jpg
Brown Razor Works (Brian Brown) 13/16- American Holly scales

$image.jpg
Jerry Stark Custom 7/8-G10 scales

$image.jpg
Ralf Aust 7/8-Horn scales

$image.jpg
Jerry Stark Custom 7/8-Micarta scales

All of these are "fairly" close to your price range. The Brian Brown razors will be somewhat more spendy; the Stark blades can be VERY close to $200 USD.

Shopping costs nothing; talking to the razor makers is pretty inexpensive too. I'm sure one of these sources (and there are others as well) can hook you up with a razor you will enjoy....

You can also take a look at Gold Dollar Competition threads... Sometimes 'sexy' is what you make of it =)

So let me be more specific, as I typed this before I went to bed. I'm after new. I like all things vintage but I don't usually spend this kind of cash on razors etc so I want a new one. Sexy is in the eye of the beholder so Lmarkow you tell me what gets your motor running and I'll see if it works for me!

With custom razors how do I go about it?

Also my birthday is in September so I have heaps of time but I must start somewhere.

Thanks for the replies guys and the funny comments.......

MacGyver

As you shop around you ought to keep vintage in the back of your mind... A razor made form back when the straight razor was king can in some instances have better workmanship than whats available today. And there are NOS beauties out there in your budget range. =)

As others have suggested...new or custom and vintage NOS can be had for around that price if one is patient and shops the markets. I personally have some of all even some used vintage as I buy what is visually appealing.
Just remember that just because it's old doesn't mean it's not as nice as new...most of us have razors in our collection that are very old but look just like they where made yesterday that's to skilled hands of restorers such as Doc and other.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Hi, Dan! Welcome to B&B!

You might want to check out Portland Razor Co.. I love their razors, If you're going to go new, their quality for the price is hard to beat. The only downside is that there is a 3-4 week wait at the moment. My PRC Hydra (the specks on the blade are just lint sticking to the blade oil):

$PRC Hydra.jpg

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Welcome to Badger & Blade! There are thousands actually. Practically any Vintage American, (Solingen)German, (English)Sheffield, Western Japanese, French will shave well if it is properly honed and maintained with a proper strop. Enjoy your new world....tasty oysters await you.

Google "Jerry Stark Razors" and "Brian Brown Razors" visit their websites and begin a dialogue with them. They are both super guys and will be really helpful and informative about how to work with them regarding a razor.

I had a look at both and like the jerry stark designs.

MacGyver

But I found this in another thread and fell in love.
proxy.php
how can I get this exact one?

MacGyver

Legion

Staff member
Where in Australia do you live. Menzbiz in Melbourne have some TI razors in stock you could look at, some of them look nice.

Personally, I like antique with "character".

Ok so where do I find an impeccable second hand 1 for the mentioned price?

MacGyver

G'Day.

The razor you are looking at is a Boker 6/8 Elite. The razor itself is not hard to acquire; The Superior Shave, Straight Razor Designs, Maggards, and even Amazon offer them for sale. Price will be about $200.00 USD +/-

Now the scales.

These are one-off custom items hand crafted by our very own Alfredo Gil (a.k.a. Doc226). He is simply a genius. The ones you see on my Boker are Koa wood, white G10 liners, and a CA treatment. The fit and finish is flawless...better than many of the high-zoot custom jobs out there. Doc can do many, many other styles of scales made from a plethora of materials. His work which he has performed for many members of this forum (and elsewhere) speaks for itself. He is indeed among the best there are.

To remove the old, ill-fitting scales, clean up the blade, fabricate and fit the new scales, repin the blade and put on one of the finest J-Nat edges you will ever experience in your life...and mail it back. Took about 7-10 days. Cost was $110 out the door. I'll call that a bargain.

I have three Boker razors..a 5/8 Tree Brand, 6/8 Silver Steel, and the re-scaled 6/8 Elite. All are made from excellent steel. They deliver a great shave, maintain a keen edge for a most reasonable duration and hone up quickly and efficiently when needed. They are a good quality German blade. After Doc works some magic on your razor, you will have something really special. She'll be more than apples, it'll be a bottler for sure. Good luck......

Last edited:
So I have decided to go with a vintage razor but have doc make me the scales from the pic. What make should I be looking at? I'm looking for what each of you use or recommend as your favourite model.

I know I change my mind but as a noobie I am asking questions and getting a better idea of what I'm actually after.

MacGyver

Take a look over at the Revisor site..lots of good stuff there. Hey, Doc sells a lot of vintage stuff. He may have something you might be interested in as well.

Razor styles are a very individual thing. I.E. I prefer larger blades (6/8 and up), French, Spanish, or Square point, shoulderless and preferably with jimps. A half hollow to very extra hollow grind are my first choice although i have a couple quarter hollow grind blades i enjoy using. Be patient...you will find your way as time goes on.

Grind? Can someone provide me a definition?

MacGyver

Top Bottom