What's new

Looking for a sexy razor for under $200 usd

Just looked it up. I understand now. Thickness of the blade resulting in bending while in use. The more hollow the more bend .

"Another day, a whole 'nother set of possibilities."

MacGyver

The thing is there is no way to know, before you've tried different types, what you will like in your razor. This is why dropping a bunch of coin on your first or second razor is perhaps not the wisest choice: your preferences may in fact turn out to be far, far different than the razor you spring for before you have any experience. My advice: try some different grinds, sizes, steels, styles, materials cheaply (unrestored, vintage razors) and in so doing figure out what your most favorite attributes are, then spend top dollar to get a razor that will really satisfy you. Downside: it's not instant gratification.

At least that's the lesson I've learned from my own experience with razor acquisitions. I myself let pictures and other people's praise for it unduly influence me and splashed early on for a very highly regarded razor here on B&B. And I never use it. It's uncomfortable for me to strop and shave with and my preferences have leaned in a completely opposite direction. Sure, I can get my money (or most of it) back by selling it on. But it's a hassle in my busy days and, frankly, I wish I hadn't of spent all that money for it at all. Every time I see it, it's a reminder that I should have been more patient and tried more things cheaply so I would have avoided this situation in the first place. But, then again, you're likely to get a chorus of enablers saying something like "You'll end out with 30 razors anyway so no big deal!" And they are right, for many guys. Unfortunately, I'm not one to accumulate a full blown "collection" of anything, so I'm perhaps somewhat of an anomaly here on B&B.

...and then again, the B/S/T section of this site is a most convenient venue to get shed of most shave equipment you might not waant to keep. True...you will most probably lose a few dollars from time to time. Thing is though, such is the case with many purchases in life.

How often do you buy something just to find out it ain't for you? Not every commodity is available for "trial" and those that are often very restricted in you you will be allowed to try it out...motorcycles for example. Hot tubs, shoes, baseball gloves, most firearms, and the list goes on. Life has always been a calculated risk and living it properly requires accepting those risks to the extent you are comfortable in doing it. At least that concept works for me........Varying mileage and all that.

The thing is there is no way to know, before you've tried different types, what you will like in your razor. This is why dropping a bunch of coin on your first or second razor is perhaps not the wisest choice: your preferences may in fact turn out to be far, far different than the razor you spring for before you have any experience. My advice: try some different grinds, sizes, steels, styles, materials cheaply (unrestored, vintage razors) and in so doing figure out what your most favorite attributes are, then spend top dollar to get a razor that will really satisfy you. Downside: it's not instant gratification.

At least that's the lesson I've learned from my own experience with razor acquisitions. I myself let pictures and other people's praise for it unduly influence me and splashed early on for a very highly regarded razor here on B&B. And I never use it. It's uncomfortable for me to strop and shave with and my preferences have leaned in a completely opposite direction. Sure, I can get my money (or most of it) back by selling it on. But it's a hassle in my busy days and, frankly, I wish I hadn't of spent all that money for it at all. Every time I see it, it's a reminder that I should have been more patient and tried more things cheaply so I would have avoided this situation in the first place. But, then again, you're likely to get a chorus of enablers saying something like "You'll end out with 30 razors anyway so no big deal!" And they are right, for many guys. Unfortunately, I'm not one to accumulate a full blown "collection" of anything, so I'm perhaps somewhat of an anomaly here on B&B.

Yeah. I totally understand. I'm in no rush to choose but I have also used other straight razors before. I am a noobie but I do get the idea.

Thanks for all the help to everyone who participated in this thread. I have a razor under construction. I will post pics once I have in my possession. A special thanks to doc and also to Larry. Awesome bunch of guys in here. I feel quite comfortable.

MacGyver

Vintage is a good choice. Here's what Fretzworks made me from an old straight.
proxy.php

Ok so I'll drop a pic of what the razor is and with its original scales. It's a vintage Beaujeu Dumontel.
proxy.php

MacGyver

Ok so I'll drop a pic of what the razor is and with its original scales. It's a vintage Beaujeu Dumontel.
proxy.php

MacGyver

Does anyone know the date of production for this razor? What decade?

Does anyone know when this razor was made? Which decade?
proxy.php

MacGyver

So I have received this razor fully restored and with new custom scale from doc. I will reveal it in September as its a birthday present for me from the Mrs. Will have to wait till then unfortunately.......

MacGyver

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Bismarck. Either new or new-ish Dovo Bismarck, or pre-Dovo vintage Bismarck. Well under $200. Very ergonomic design. Looks good too. Jarrod has them, and he ships shave ready.

So while I'm waiting for my birthday, if anyone has any info on the above blade please post here. It's a beaujeu Dumontel siana. I still am yet to know specifics on its age.

MacGyver

So i asked everyone about a straight razor for under $200. I also asked about an awesome set of custom scales.

I was originally going to go with a new razor as I thought I wouldn't find a vintage in perfect condition.

I was wrong..........

I found the gentleman who custom makes the scales I was looking for. He was nice enough to find a beaujeu Dumontel from I think the 1930's but don't quote me, with the original box. He made and fitted the scales and sharpened the blade.

The craftsman is doc226. Thank you doc for this restored work of art. I am extremely ecstatic. Happy birthday to me!!

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

MacGyver

Top Bottom