What's new

What Tablet Are You Using?

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
And how well do you like it?

I am currently using a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 that has to go. I picked it up a couple of years ago as a Tiger Direct referb special. There is still something wrong with it. Even simple tasks are a headache. Nothing we own is Apple. Android is preferred but I would consider switching to a Windows tablet

Why specifically do you want a tablet? That's a dying market, nothing really new or interesting has come out on the Android side in a couple years. All the brainpower is off designing Chromebooks now.

iPad mini 2. I liked it up until a few weeks ago when I "updated" to iOS 9 (from ios7). Several big problems have arisen that have made it barely usable. Kicking myself for doing the update. I wanted to install Google Docs, Sheets, Calendar, et al. iOS 7 wouldn't permit this.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Why specifically do you want a tablet? That's a dying market, nothing really new or interesting has come out on the Android side in a couple years. All the brainpower is off designing Chromebooks now.

I think you've got a point. They are trying to resurrect it by going bigger. Like say Apple's 12" iPad Pro.

I think they still have plenty of use for tablets in the business market. And schools.

Consumer level...Meh.

I have an iPad Air. First Air, not the 3rd or 4th that's out now. I pick it up maybe for half hour each day (in total, usually few minutes at a time) when I'm kicked back in my recliner and feel like browsing B&B. Other than that I don't use it.

I'm in the market for a MacBook Air. When I get that I'll probably sell the iPad or give it to the nieces/nephews to fight over.

Great topic!!! Following....

Wifes BDay is in 2 weeks and I planned on getting her a new one and giving her old Kindle Fire to the kid.

Just sent my IT guy a text. He says the new Galaxy Tablets are where its at.... more versatile than the Chrome books and you can share your Android based data.... more better!!

Surface 4. Might as well use a full blown computer when they're lighter and larger than the Moto Xoom I got a few years ago. Android is great for smartphones, and my god do they do some amazing stuff with all the power you can stuff in them. But, a real i7 and the ssd's of today and tomorrow... Connectivity out the ying-yang? No contest.

I have an ASUS TF300T.

I think it is a 11" and has an optional Keyboard that also has an extra battery for longer life.

Very nice and compact unit that runs Android software.

Fairly compact device that I take with me when I travel.

ASUS ZenPad S 8 Z580CA-C1-BK 8" 64 GB Tablet

Absolutely love it! Great screen, android lollipop, and have it loaded w/ a 128GB microSD card. 8" size but perfect. I also have a Surface Pro 3(8GB Ram; 256 SSD and another 128GB microSD card) which gets the job done for everything Windows. Now if Microsoft had sold the 8" Surface, that would be my only tablet.

marty

Last edited:
I have two tablets... a five year old HP TouchPad long since rooted, replacing the original webOS with Android and now running the Evervolv Marshmallow custom ROM. And a Nexus 7 (2013) also rooted, running Pure Nexus Marshmallow custom ROM. The TouchPad is pretty much a couch computer, as its too big, too heavy, and due to its age, too slow but it still is useful.

The Nexus 7 is a bit small (screen size) compared to more popular phablets (like the Nexus 6P) but its small size is one of its best features... not only can it slip in any briefcase or backpack and you don't notice it, but you can even carry it in a pocket. Runs fast enough for any need.

Rumors are that Google (and Huawei) will introduce a Nexus 7 replacement this year. If the size attracts you it would be a good option. Others seem to like the Google Pixel but its pretty expensive. And the NVideo Shield is popular with gamers.

My wife really wanted a Windows tablet so I bought her a cheap HP one. Garbage. Stay with Android or Apple.

Galaxy note pro and s2

10 of 10 rate

$maxresdefault.jpg$samsung-galaxy-note-pro-pen.jpg

I have an old iPad 2. My wife uses a new iPad Pro because of specific medical record application requirements.

I have an older iPad 3 and I am asking the wife to upgrade me to an iPad Pro. The iPad 3 is still running well, but the last iOS upgrade did slow it down a bit and I can see that I am about one, maybe two, software upgrades from it being frustration level slow.

I have to say, I use my iPad every single day.

Books, movies, email, forum surfing and apps - it does it all and it does it well. I do like a keyboard for some things and on some sites the user experience is diminished, but the new iPad Pro appears to be robust enough to overcome all of that. The iPad 3 still has a robust battery that keeps running (at full brightness) for a little over 4 hours before the indicator goes red.

I could hold off until the iPad gets super slow, but upgrading my iPad after 4 years of daily heavy use is not that big a deal

Retired IT guy here last ten years doing everything wireless going into our hospital system. Multiple ThinkPads and desktop gathering dust. Went netbook next when they were hot running win 7 solid but little used then got a 8.9 Kindle Fire. Does everything I need.. web, photos, music. Liked it so much just grabbed 6" Fire HD. Again it does anything I'm interested in doing and IMO the Amazon Prime system can't be beat.

Upgraded from a 10" nook hd (rooted with cyanogenmod) to the nvidia shield because I needed more than 700MB of usable memory, and it doesn't really have the goods to handle android 6 (marshmallow). Tried an ibm tablet but sent it back: it looks good on paper and has a huge battery, but the 3d is useless (my games had streaks all over the place) and ibm removes the multiple user feature, as well as the ability to root their newer tablets. The 7" nvidia is almost comfortable to hold onto, and I don't really miss the larger screen except when watching movies. The price is very competitive for what you get. They have rooting info right on the nvidia site, and are rather good about providing upgrades. You really don't need the shield controller and games for this to be a great tablet. I guess they make sure to keep things running smoothly because they sell this as a gaming platform with the idea of continually selling new games, not to mention their long experience with enthusiasts. Only problem is the battery life is rather meager.

Last edited:
iPad mini 2. I liked it up until a few weeks ago when I "updated" to iOS 9 (from ios7). Several big problems have arisen that have made it barely usable. Kicking myself for doing the update. I wanted to install Google Docs, Sheets, Calendar, et al. iOS 7 wouldn't permit this.
Every time I update the OS on my iPad it gives me problems. With the latest I can longer stream video to my TV from the Lightening Port - using a $50 Apple branded adapter, no less. I will likely give it back to my employer and turn my back on apple forever.

Top Bottom