What's new

Anyone try Supply Provision's The Single Edge SE razor yet?

Waiting on the second batch. They've downplayed the problem -- the machine shop left too much metal in the head for the blades to seat properly -- as it doesn't effect the shave itself, but I'd rather hold off. Being able to eject the blade by jiggling the head assembly doesn't appeal to me, either.

The website says they are sold out. What were they selling for.

It looks like it takes plain ol' injector blades. Is this the case, or is it some specialized blade you have to buy from them?

The website says they are sold out. What were they selling for.

It looks like it takes plain ol' injector blades. Is this the case, or is it some specialized blade you have to buy from them?

They were pre-order for $80 for the 3 piece set or $60 for just the mild head. They take regular old injector blades.

I thought it was 60 for the normal head. Although I pre-ordered the three head version have not been sent shipping info yet...

I also decided to wait for the next revision of the razor. Contacted Patrick and got an answer in about 15 minutes. Great communication.

I thought it was 60 for the normal head. Although I pre-ordered the three head version have not been sent shipping info yet...
I thought that too ... I ordered the 60.00 and did a little more reading ... it was marketed as the 'classic' with one base plate (medium). Then I noticed the 'custom' is the same razor with three base plates ... (mild, medium, and aggressive) and the custom was being ordered for 80.00. So I had Peter cancel my order for the classic, and placed the order for the custom.

Today's mail:

$se1.jpg

$se2.jpg

$se4.jpg

First impression is that the razor is well crafted . . . and heavy. Weighing in at 3.85 oz (110 gm) it is heavier than any other injector I have ever used (but lighter than a Mongoose). Still, it is well balanced and has a nice feel in the hand.

Tomorrow: The shave.

--Bob

I got an email today that mine has shipped! It is scheduled to arrive Tuesday. I'm already looking forward to Wednesday's shave.

$se8.jpg

With the "Classic" base plate (the middle one in terms of aggressiveness) and a new Personna blade it is a smooth comfortable shaver, possibly on the mild side but still producing a really close comfortable shave.

The shaving angle was intuitive and easy to find, and it didn't seem to be too finicky about it. There is more audible feedback than what is usually produced by injectors, and the weight in the hand feels decidedly different, but not in a bad way.

Pressing on the base plate below the retaining screw allows the blade to drop out, and also makes re-installing a used blade a snap - very useful when comparing different blades. Twin blades will not fit.

I like The Single Edge so far, especially considering the price point, and am looking forward to trying different blade/base plate combinations.

--Bob

I decided to not wait till the second batch, the over all "flaw" was really minor to me. My kickstarter setup arrived yesterday, all three heads included. Well made, solid quality razor.

Definitely a very hefty razor, but I prefer that. I've never used an injector style, and I actually don't care for the other SE's out there that I have and have tried (GEM's and such). First shave with it was today on the medium "classic" baseplate, and I have to say, I like it. Smooth shave, intuitive angle, got really good shave result from it. Next shave I'll trade up to the aggressive baseplate since that is also more along my usual preference.

I'm not a heavy SE user, mostly DE user. I received my KickStarter pledge last week, and have had 3 shaves to date with the medium plate. I am sorry to say, I'm not feeling it. What I mean with that is that the whole experience feels jerky and not pleasing. I had to fiddle with the cartridge to load one up. And the 3 shaves I've had were not spectacular. Weepers in the neck area, not really BBS after 3 passes. I even decided to give the benefit of the doubt and ordered their soap and balm from Amazon, since I'd only kickstarted the shaver. I used them all today. While the soap and balm are great products, they still did not contribute to a better experience for me. Still not a smooth shave. I ended up finishing up my shave with my BBS1 DE. I'm not saying that everyone will have my experience, but I'm really not feeling it... Just my 2¢

Maybe try a new blade? A few people are reporting a damaged first blade... Resulting in a bad shave.

Agreed. Sounds like the fiddling to get the blade in may have ruined it. I've had a few bad shaves that were the result of a bad injector blade.

Got my shipping notice and mine will be here tomorrow. I'll post back here on my initial thoughts.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I shaved with mine for the first time today. This razor did not have the typical issue with jacking up the first blade into an empty razor. The blade goes in high above the blade guards, and drops down in place when you pull out the injector. If it did have that issue, the razor would be rendered unusable with the injection flaw in this first batch. So this is not the issue.

I am not a huge injector fan, but I have about a dozen of them, and use them from time to time. No injector has really done it for me. This new one has not changed that yet.

The first shave was not great. I used the middle base plate. The first wtg pass was smooth and comfy. However it did not take off nearly as much hair as it should have. Pass two xtg was a disaster. It pulled, created razor burn, nicks and weepers. Not good.

i think the included blades might not be great. The look very much like Ted pellas, which I don't care for. I think I will load up a chick blade and see if that helps. Then I guess I will test the other base plates. So I will give this razor the benefit of the doubt for now.

One of the major downsides of injectors for me is that it seems if you really want to have great shaves, you need to find NOS blades. I don't want to rely on any razor that requires a consumable that is out of production. So if I can't find a happy place with a production blade, I'm afraid this razor may not be for me. But for now, I have lots more testing to do.

I shaved with mine for the first time today. This razor did not have the typical issue with jacking up the first blade into an empty razor. The blade goes in high above the blade guards, and drops down in place when you pull out the injector. If it did have that issue, the razor would be rendered unusable with the injection flaw in this first batch. So this is not the issue.

I am not a huge injector fan, but I have about a dozen of them, and use them from time to time. No injector has really done it for me. This new one has not changed that yet.

The first shave was not great. I used the middle base plate. The first wtg pass was smooth and comfy. However it did not take off nearly as much hair as it should have. Pass two xtg was a disaster. It pulled, created razor burn, nicks and weepers. Not good.

i think the included blades might not be great. The look very much like Ted pellas, which I don't care for. I think I will load up a chick blade and see if that helps. Then I guess I will test the other base plates. So I will give this razor the benefit of the doubt for now.

One of the major downsides of injectors for me is that it seems if you really want to have great shaves, you need to find NOS blades. I don't want to rely on any razor that requires a consumable that is out of production. So if I can't find a happy place with a production blade, I'm afraid this razor may not be for me. But for now, I have lots more testing to do.

Limited blade options is definitely an issue with any injector style razor now, for sure. If none of the easily obtainable options agree with you, then no razor, no matter how well made/engineered that uses those blades will be a win.

I received my "custom" razor today. Had a rushed and sub-par shave with the medium plate. I dot attribute this to the razor at all, just my poor decisions.

First impressions are very good. I like the finish and the heft of it. Its definitely the heaviest injector razor I've ever used. I got one of the ones with the "flaw", but had no issues loading a blade from a Chick injector. As far as the ejecting blades by pushing on the plate, I kind of dig that. It takes quite a bit of pressure in the right spot to get the blade out. It will also make loading cut down AC blades much easier as I don't have to worry about mucking them up loading them int the injector cartridge. I'll get a few more shaves in with it and post some more impressions.

My experience has been mixed so far. First shave I think I damaged the blade as it hardly cut my stubble and had no feedback. I tried all 3 plates to see if it would cut anything, no luck. Finished the shave with another razor. I tried a second shave this morning with the 3 dot plate and a fresh blade. Much better performance. Now it was cutting and I had feedback like I expected. Shave was close but I had a few weepers. Going to try the 2 dot plate next.

I received the Supply Provision Co. The Single Edge "Custom" a few days ago. I've shaved three times with this razor with the medium (2 dot) guard plate and the same Personna blade from the injector included with the razor. The shaves have been smooth, close, and comfortable. As [MENTION=85505]spidey9[/MENTION] mentioned, I also found that this injector razor "sings" louder than any vintage injector that I have. The next step is to load up a vintage injector blade I prefer. (Yes, YMMV!)

Top Bottom