What's new

WHAT do you think about this SR for a newbie?

I have zero experience with the brand, so I really can't answer your question other than to say that my personal inclination would be to stick with a more well known manufacturer, i.e. Dovo, TI, Revisor, Aust. The picture looks nice, but it doesn't tell me anything about the quality of the steel. The major players are at least more of a known value =)

If you're wanting to see what all this straight razor jazz is all about why not check out The Whipped Dog http://www.whippeddog.com/
Larry will set you up with some decent kit, and won't empty your wallet.

Hi Warhawk,
maybe I am too timid, but I am very wary about razors that show no engravings or stamps around the tang area - this might be fine or it might be made in Pakistan and rebranded...

Even the seller states that it is not shave-ready - again this may mean that they are just honest, but it might also mean that it never will be ...

For that amount of money I think I'd look at other offers.

br,
ToM

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
If you're just wanting to test the water and see if it's something you're going to enjoy I think the best deal out there is here https://www.panjo.com/buy/shave-rea...and-travel-strop-free-honing-12-months-306515 (Mods hope that's ok to link to a Panjo listing).
He includes a year of free honing. I always tell guys if you like straight shaving you can upgrade to a better razor from somewhere like the superior shave and use the gold dollar to practice honing on.

If you're just wanting to test the water and see if it's something you're going to enjoy I think the best deal out there is here https://www.panjo.com/buy/shave-rea...and-travel-strop-free-honing-12-months-306515 (Mods hope that's ok to link to a Panjo listing).
He includes a year of free honing. I always tell guys if you like straight shaving you can upgrade to a better razor from somewhere like the superior shave and use the gold dollar to practice honing on.
+1

No idea, the razor looks nice but can't comment as to its quality.

Look at the classifieds for shave ready razors

Get a GD from Scott

Whipped Dog

If you want to buy new, you can get an entry level Dovo, Boker, or Ralf Aust for about the same price. I chose an Aust for my first straight and it was a good call. Great shaver.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
What they said. Also, I do believe "Bismarck" is a trademark owned by Dovo since they bought out the original Bismarck brand. I like the general style of the blade though I find those scales absolutely hideous. They don't say where the razor was made, either. A REAL Bismarck, made by Dovo, is a great razor. They run around $160 or so. Have a look at Jarrod's site, thesuperiorshave.com. He hones all his razors to shave-readiness. www.whippeddog.com is the go-to source for newbie razors here. A well set up Gold Dollar can be pretty cheap. You really should start with two razors, not one, BTW.

I really don't like the scales on that razor and if the blade is good and you replace the scales it would be about $80 to have a custom set made so IMHO you are better off getting a prettier razor from say [MENTION=44174]Doc226[/MENTION] or similar

Stick with the classified selection. Many members have some great razors (name brands included) that you can buy with confidence.
Or....entry level razors that are guaranteed shave ready are readily available from trusted vendors like The Superior Shave and Straight Razor Designs.

A Boker or Ralf Aust will be a blade you most probably will keep forever.

+1 to this. I purchased razors from Scott and I can't say enough good things about him. First of all, the razors are truly shave ready with nice edge,and you get the free honing. Since he is the one who honed them in the first place, you get valuable feedback about how you're doing maintaining your edge, which shortens the learning curve and lessens frustration. He took the time to help me sort out some stropping issues, helped me pick out a coticule, and more or less showed me how to use it. So yeah, you get an awesome bargain for sure

Hi Gents: Thanks so much for all of your advice. I will take all in consideration. Update.... I pulled trigger on a Gold Dollar for a great price from Scott. He is a great guy and he will hone it for me for one year. Talk about great customer service. Love that guy. Scott.... if you are listening, I cannot thank you enough for your help.

Now... I received it in the mail yesterday. Sorry i don't have any pics. As most of you know... I am a face and head shaver. For the price the Gold Dollar is a great SR for any newbie. I don't understand why the GD gets a lot of hate from the SR community. I don't have "deep pockets" to spend over $110 to $300 on a SR that I am just learning.

So... yesterday.... I quickly opened the box and went straight to the bathroom. Prepped my face and dome. And I took the GD slowly and went straight for my 1st pass on the head and @#$%%#. OMG . . . I immediately got 2 weepers. Let's say that it was not the GD's fault but the person that was using it. I refuse to give up on SR shaving. However.... I am going to stay away from any sort of SR shaving for now.

WARHAWK

On a side note ... I give much respect to any SR shaver out there. Most especially if you SR shave your dome. Again... I refuse to give up on SR shaving. I am just gonna take a rest from it.

WARHAWK

I think a head shave is an ambitious first shave. Perhaps next time, something a bit more manageable, say, just your cheeks, until you're used to the razor? In any case, good luck!

There are a lot of good YouTube vid's on straight razor shaving techinque. Weepers!? Pffft! As long as you didn't lop off an ear, or lose an eye you're doing fine! =D Just take your time you'll get there! When I started out with straights all I did was to do a WTG pass on my cheeks until I was more comfortable with the razor, and more confidant in what I was doing. =)

Top Bottom