What's new

Wingtips

I recently purchased a pair of bostonian classic wingtips in black that have polished up very nicely and are about as dressy as I go. I also have a pair of Rockport waterproof black wingtips that are decent for inclement weather, but do not give me the high gloss look I want in a dress shoe. Any wingtip afficianados here, and what is your favorite? Florsheim, bostonian or something else? I'm not talking about $200 and up, as that is sort of out of my budget. but something around a hundred or a little more. what do you think?

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
My experience is that $150 shoes last half as long as $300 shoes, are not as comfortable and don't look quite as nice. It can be a stretch at time of purchase, but in the long run you save money.

I think they are all pretty decent, just pick the ones you like the look of.

Regarding the "You must buy expensive shoes" comment, you sound very snobby. Most of us only wear dress shoes once a week at most. I've had the same pair for around 5 years, and I might have worn them 25 times. They should last me another 20 years, barring mishaps.

I don't own any wingtips, but that is what my father always wore for business. To me, the Florsheim Imperial (what he wore) is the quintessential wingtip.

Well my only real experience with wingtips are the Allen Edmonds Dalton, and those are over $200. They are boots too, which adds some price.

If you shop shoebank.com, there are plenty of styles that come up in the $150-200 range. If you wear them a few times a week, you will likely come out better in the end. If you only wear them once a week to church, the durability and wear aspect really won't come into play.

Right now, the Mcallister and Aberdeen made for brooks brothers are for sale on the AE seconds store for $150. 2 colors of the McGregor are on sale for $137. I see a handful more wingtip styles there.

If you want a quality pair of American made shoes, keep your eye out for Allen Edmonds sales, and shop the seconds store (shoebank.com). You should be able to find something suitable for under $200.

I'm retired so I cannot justify $300 shoes to wear once a week, just something that looks nice, is comfortable and polishes up nicely.

Mercanti Fiorentini at DSW is $160. The leather is excellent and it has thick leather soles. They are glued so you can't get them fully reconstructed but a cobbler may be able to replace the soles or at least add half soles on top to extend the life. But $160 is only a bit more than a pair of fully redrafted AE without the huge initial price.

Heck, why buy a pair of cemented shoes for $160 when you can get a pair of leather soled Goodyear welted shoes from AE seconds for the same price?

proxy.php

No problem!

The AE shoe bank works like this-

Go to shoebank.com

Put in your size/width and search.

Find the shoe you want, and click it.

That takes you to a page showing all of the stores that have it in stock. Call up the store, and they will get your payment info and ship you the shoe.

My experience is that $150 shoes last half as long as $300 shoes, are not as comfortable and don't look quite as nice. It can be a stretch at time of purchase, but in the long run you save money.

This has not been my experience, but I have not been wearing dress shoes for years and years, yet. I currently have 8 pair of shoes of various makers, styles, and colors; including several Allen Edmonds offerings. I have two pair of Kenneth Cole "Good Knight LE" cap toe shoes, one black and the other Cognac, that were only $127 a piece. They are incredibly comfortable to wear right out of the box, they take a beautiful shine using Saphir polish (looking like shoes 3x their cost), and I have no indication they will not last as long as my Allen Edmond Park Avenues or Johnston & Murphy Hannigans.

Tim

No problem!

The AE shoe bank works like this-

Go to shoebank.com

Put in your size/width and search.

Find the shoe you want, and click it.

That takes you to a page showing all of the stores that have it in stock. Call up the store, and they will get your payment info and ship you the shoe.

This is excellent advice and what I currently do. Although the first pair of dress shoes I had bought in many many years were the Kenneth Cole "Good Knight LE's" I mentioned above, now most of my purchases are AEs from the shoe bank.

Tim

I found the lower end of my shoe closet became less desirable due to compromises I made when I purchased them. Well, other than my Piloti's. So, even though it's glazed black, burgundy, chili, and cordovan leathers instead of slippers and sneakers, I'm loving the warmth, fit, and beauty of wearing my dress shoes as daily strollers. 'sides I'm old enough now it's not like I'm saving them for my heirs.

I'll put in a plug for Allen Edmonds Shoebank as well. I've bought several pair of Allen Edmonds there and after close inspection I've never seen the fault that got them into the Shoebank. All I can see is that AE "brands" (not sure if that's the right word) a small black mark on the sole so retail outlets know they're from the Shoebank.

One word of warning, though. Be certain of your size, because there's no exchanging Shoebank purchases. If you can, try on a few pair at an Allen Edmonds retail store and see what fits you. Ideally, you can do it with the same model shoe or last number that you're looking at in the Shoebank. Kind of cheating, perhaps, but you won't be the first to do it. I've bought several pair of AE at full retail, then a different color of the same model from the Shoebank because I knew the size was right. No disappointments.

Based upon your recommendations, I just ordered from the shoebank for the 1st time. Salesman was super helpful and directed me to a $50 off discount that I didn't know about. Thanks for all of the input!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Based upon your recommendations, I just ordered from the shoebank for the 1st time. Salesman was super helpful and directed me to a $50 off discount that I didn't know about. Thanks for all of the input!
Can't wait to see them

Top Bottom