What's new

Martin de Cardre Formula Change?

I recently ordered a new jar of MdC and I noticed a couple of changes between one I ordered about three years ago to today's. It now has 200g vs 170g, the jar I received is plastic and not glass, and the formula now has sodium chloride. The one thing I'm disappointed in is the plastic jar. Their web site says it comes in a "glass pot". I emailed them today asking how to get a glass jar next time--if that's possible, and that their plastic jar is missing that je ne sais quoi. It will be interesting to see if they answer the email.

Have to wonder if there was trade off in weight of jar vs amount of soap?
I have to agree that their glass jar was indeed classy.

I recently ordered a new jar of MdC and I noticed a couple of changes between one I ordered about three years ago to today's. It now has 200g vs 170g, the jar I received is plastic and not glass, and the formula now has sodium chloride. The one thing I'm disappointed in is the plastic jar. Their web site says it comes in a "glass pot". I emailed them today asking how to get a glass jar next time--if that's possible, and that their plastic jar is missing that je ne sais quoi. It will be interesting to see if they answer the email.

They are transitioning to plastic and away from glass, which is a shame. I think the NaCl is just a way to add some hardness since they don't use sodium hydroxide lye and perhaps this is used to reduce the curing time? Maybe one of the soapers here can chime in to explain this better. In any event, I don't think the small change will affect the performance whatsoever.

As a long time MDC user I emailed them on both the ingredients and the new jars and the response was that the sodium chloride was always in the soap but was not required to be listed until the EU got very strict with the ingredients list. They said the plastic is because the vendor that supplied the glass jars now has a minimum order of 5000 jars that is not practical for MDC's business model.
To me the value of MDC (not to be confused with price) is that a product so pure and free of chemicals performs so well, in fairness I should say I have 3 jars of fern and 2 jars of lavender stashed so it will be a while until I get a plastic, but glass or plastic I will still use it and love it!

I thought I would miss the glass jar, but I have lavender in glass and fougere in plastic and I got over it. hearing it was an order size issue and not a cost issue to increase profit makes it easier to accept.

While the glass jars are a bit more classy, they are always one slippery handed drop away from ending up in the garbage can soap and all. So the plastic will be a benefit there. Then again, maybe I can use this as an excuse to just buy a brain bowl next time.

I thought I would miss the glass jar, but I have lavender in glass and fougere in plastic and I got over it. hearing it was an order size issue and not a cost issue to increase profit makes it easier to accept.

+1

I have plastic original and fougere and glass in unscented. I can barely tell the difference. The plastic is very stout and does not feel cheap at all. Honestly, I prefer the plastic. It's not going to break. Glass or plastic...the soap is great. Second to none!

As a long time MDC user I emailed them on both the ingredients and the new jars and the response was that the sodium chloride was always in the soap but was not required to be listed until the EU got very strict with the ingredients list. They said the plastic is because the vendor that supplied the glass jars now has a minimum order of 5000 jars that is not practical for MDC's business model.
To me the value of MDC (not to be confused with price) is that a product so pure and free of chemicals performs so well, in fairness I should say I have 3 jars of fern and 2 jars of lavender stashed so it will be a while until I get a plastic, but glass or plastic I will still use it and love it!

Thanks for the info. Perfectly understandable why the change.

Top Bottom