What's new

Hello! How I became a DE convert.

Being "older" (early fifties) and an empty-nester, I am enjoying the back side of life with a little slower pace, and putting my wife and I "first" after so many years of our kids being the primary focus. While not rich, we are far from scraping by and are willing to occasionally pay a little extra at times if there is a tangible gain, improvement, perceived value, or economy to be realized.

Being borderline OCD in some regards, I occasionally fixate and will spend (waste?) a great deal of time on some relatively minor or trivial thing then make a major life change going 180 degrees away from some long standing habit or method, even if the previous thing was perfectly satisfactory and caused no real displeasure.

The most recent example of this behavior began a couple weeks ago when I had the need to change the cartridge on my Gillette Fusion replaceable cartridge razor. In the grand scheme, this is not normally a life changing event, but I couldn't find the damn cartridges that I knew I had.

Shaving is not, and has never been, a big part of my routine. Hell I didn't even need to until I was 18 and the nice Drill Instructors at MCRD San Diego demanded I do so even if there was no hair on my face to remove. To placate them, I just left the dummy cartridge in the handle and "faked" it. On active duty in my 20's I could slide by shaving at most, 2-3 times a week.

Fast forward three decades or so and my career, lifestyle, and still very mild "beard" affords me the luxury of only having to shave once, or occasionally twice a week. I couldn't grow a full, manly beard if I tried, and only barely manage a non-pathetic goatee. As such, I am usually able to go several months on a single cartridge and it is not uncommon for the pack to go MIA between changes.

Frustrated, I figured I would just grab another pack at the store while I was there. Not needed, but they would eventually be used. Once at the aisle, I was again shocked at the price they charge, $16 for 4 damn cartridges! Heck, I can buy two nice T-bone steaks for that kind of coin. Disgusted, and knowing I had a pack of cartridges somewhere, I walked away fretting over the cost to simply scrape a little hair from my face.

This episode made me remember that not too long ago I came across an article on the interwebs extolling the virtues of the old Double Edge Safety Razor. It claimed that while you can (but don't have to) spend a pretty penny on the razors handles/heads, there are also a lot of reasonably priced razors and even the highest quality blades can be had for just pennies (instead of dollars) a piece. According to the author, it was also a widely held belief that they provide a superior shaving experience in addition to the considerable cost savings over disposables or replaceable cartridges.

Better results? Less cost? That was all I needed to generate my target fixation and after a few hours of web and Amazon.com research, I was ready to jump into the 1950's. I settled on a Merkur 20C razor and a sample pack of premium blades, hit "checkout" and sat back to wait for two days until they arrived at my door.

proxy.php

The razor arrived Wednesday, and not having shaved since Sunday, I was ready to do my own comparison. Following my normal routine, I shaved half my face with my Gillette Fusion and it's once used cartridge (managed to find the pack I had after going through the under sink cabinet a second time) and shaved the other half of my face with the slick, sleek, sturdy, silver and black Merkur.

My initial reaction was the shave experience itself was not much different, I was mostly just happy that I didn't slice my throat or take a portion of ear or nose off. I shaved in my normal fashion, first pass with the grain and then a second pass against the grain. Once I washed my face and actually felt the two sides I was actually quite impressed!

Running the back of my hands down the sides of my face, with the grain, the DE side was similar, possibly a touch smoother. Running back up against the grain was amazing! The DE side against the grain was as smooth, if not smoother, than the cartridge side with the grain.

Color me impressed, sold, and converted to DE safety razor!

The fact that in the long run it is considerably cheaper is a huge benefit to my frugality/cheap bastardness. Having it be kind of retro with classy polished metal accroutraments, a quality made "tool" with dangerously sharp edges than can remove chunks of flesh if not handled carefully, and devoid of plastic, disposable bits makes it manly and cool to boot.

I try not to think about the positive environmental impact of not throwing the old cartridges in the landfill and the reduction of my carbon footprint by consuming fewer petroleum based plastics. If I do find my mind wandering down that path, I quickly shift to thinking about men ripping metal ore from the earth and then forging it with fire and machines in a manly factory with sweat pooling on their brow.

As an added benefit, with a new found cash surplus saved instead of squandered on $4 disposable cartridges, I can now look forward to collecting quality DE Razor handles in addition to guns and camera gear. In fact, I already have my eye on a vintage 1963 (1st quarter, "I-1" date code) Gillette Slim Adjustable DE Razor in near mint condition for the low price of just $80. Heck if I am going to spend tangible amounts of money to shave, might as well spend it on something that doesn't get thrown away!

Maybe I am just getting nostalgic in my old age, but I think it would be kind of cool to shave with a fine piece of American made, nickel-plated brass that was sent out onto its journey on this earth at the same approximate time I was....

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums! Once you get into soaps, aftershaves, brushes, creams, etc.. it might not really be that frugal any more. But lots of fun! Imagine dollar bills rather than ships.. ;)

proxy.php

Thursday was day 2 and I still haven't bled to death, although I did make a small nick at the corner of my mouth. I am used to faster long strokes, I need to slow down and focus on what I am doing. Note to self- by styptic stick.

Wednesday I just smeared some Cremo on my face as if I was going to use my cartridge razor. For Thursday I picked up a cheap brush at Walmart and used a coffee cup to whip my Cremo up into a "proper" lather. Guess I need to buy a bowl too, good thing I am saving money ;)

I didn't really need to shave, probably the first time I have shaved two days in row in 15 years or more, but having the two sides of my face uneven was either freaking me out or I just subconsciously was looking for an excuse to do it again.

Since I am now saving so much money, on a whim I bought an "new old stock" Russian Ideal handle with 5 Sputnik blades circa 2001 or so for $25 shipped from Russia off eBay. A little research shows it to be a copy of the Gillette Super Adjustable with some good and some not so good reviews. Seems QC and consistency are an issue.

I figured it was a low cost start to my "collection" of razors, and if I do get the vintage Gillette it would be cool to compare the original to the copy. Wonder how long it will take to get here...

proxy.php

@Lone-Rider So a Hollywood Marine huh...yeah me too. Welcome to badger & Blade. Sir I commend you on writing this fine first post, you have shared a great deal with all of us about yourself. It would seem that your interests align with just about everyone here. I would encourage you to snoop around our humble site here. I think you will be surprised at how much there is to read, agree, or even disagree about the topic of wet shaving. We also have forums that are in concert with your other hobbies.

A couple points of interests...Stop on by the Veteran Roll Call. There will be instructions on how you can apply for your Veteran Badge. You don't have to of course, but throughout the year, there are several activities that go on you might like to join that require the Veteran Badge...here is a link: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/375976-Veteran-roll-call

I was about to tell you to sign up for the weekly blade PIF but it seems that you have beaten me to the punch.

Here is a link to The Darkroom for your picture taking hobby: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/64-The-Darkroom

We even have a forum for Shooting Sports and Firearms: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/150-Shooting-Sports-and-Firearms

At any rate...we just want to welcome you...Welcome to B&B!

Last edited:
Thursday was day 2 and I still haven't bled to death, although I did make a small nick at the corner of my mouth. I am used to faster long strokes, I need to slow down and focus on what I am doing. Note to self- by styptic stick.

Wednesday I just smeared some Cremo on my face as if I was going to use my cartridge razor. For Thursday I picked up a cheap brush at Walmart and used a coffee cup to whip my Cremo up into a "proper" lather. Guess I need to buy a bowl too, good thing I am saving money ;)

I didn't really need to shave, probably the first time I have shaved two days in row in 15 years or more, but having the two sides of my face uneven was either freaking me out or I just subconsciously was looking for an excuse to do it again.

Since I am now saving so much money, on a whim I bought an "new old stock" Russian Ideal handle with 5 Sputnik blades circa 2001 or so for $25 shipped from Russia off eBay. A little research shows it to be a copy of the Gillette Super Adjustable with some good and some not so good reviews. Seems QC and consistency are an issue.

I figured it was a low cost start to my "collection" of razors, and if I do get the vintage Gillette it would be cool to compare the original to the copy. Wonder how long it will take to get here...

proxy.php

If it is coming from Russia then it will take a few weeks. I get most of my blades from Russia and that's about how long it takes. On a positive note. I use the Sputnik blades quite often. It's a sharp blade that cuts through a thick beard. I hope your purchase comes in soon. Here's to saving money...:001_rolle

Welcome aboard! Many of us came back to DE after having a similar reaction to the carts!

The bonus for me is that I look forward to my shaves, my skin is better and I have a great time 'collecting' shaving stuff!

Not having used Cremo myself, I believe that is it not intended to whip up in a mug with a brush. I would go back to Walmart and find the VanDerHagen soap puck for 2 bucks and whip it up in your cup. With a little practice, you'll be getting great lather and will want to try other soaps and creams that are intended to be used with a brush. Have fun with it and enjoy your shaves! Here is a family portrait of my 1963 razors. I really love my I-1 Slim!
$image.jpg

proxy.php
I've got a Russian Ideal Adjustable, it's a good razor, but a bit on the aggressive side !!

Welcome to B&B. I hope that you save a lot of money . . . . I haven't, although I shouldn't have to buy any shaving supplies for quite some time. Note that you can get a great Slim in the $20 to $40 range off a popular auction site.

What a great intro and first post! Glad to have you join us. I'm a year and a half into DE shaving after spending the first 35 years of shaving hating it. Now I enjoy it EVERY day and find the morning shave routine just as important as my morning coffee. Long gone are the ingrown hairs and rash I always seemed to have on my neck regardless of what method of shaving I used (cartridge or electric). I also found the concept of $4+ dollar cartridges repulsive. I now use blades that are 15 cents each and the shave is far better.

Try face lathering, it takes less than a minute to work up a lather and it's fun.

Thanks all for the warm welcomes. Sounds like I found a good spot to spend some time and make some virtual friends.

Today was the first time in 26+ years I have shaved three days in a row. Again, didn't really need to but I figured shaving daily at first will help me improve my technique as well as condition my face to get used to the change in method. Also, I think shaving more frequently at first while trying different products will make it easier to compare and settle on a preference.

dangerousdon- Semper Fi, thanks for the dope and I will definitely take a look at those areas.

BigJ - Hey neighbor! I hear you, was looking forward to shaving today as well and of course who doesn't need something to collect?

Neil-O - Actually Cremo works good and does whip up into a nice lather. Doesn't mention it on the tube, but it does on their website. First time I had a little too much water and it was a bit runny. Today I used a little more Cremo and just the water in the brush after soaking and got a much better consistency that stayed in place. Not sure how it compares with soap, but the tube is only a couple weeks old so will use it up before trying something else. I even came across a tip that suggests to add a little Cremoto wet shave soap to improve the slickness and richness.

MichWR- I knew I wouldn't really be saving any money in making the change and in all likelihood would spend more. I don't mind, I just prefer that if I am spending money I get some enjoyment from it and I can't say that I ever have with cartridges.

I am a bit of a tech and gadget freak and there is nothing gadgety about disposal razors/cartridges. The variety of DE razors, brushes, lotions, and potions, etc. though is another thing. My wife balked and got that look in her eye once I started ordering stuff and making purchases. It never ends with a look and soon she was commenting on the cost. I let her finish then simply pointed out that my entire years worth of personal care "stuff" is going to come in well under the total for two to three of her trips to the salon for her mani/pedi's (which she gets about every 4-6 weeks) coupled with one of her hair appointments (which she gets quarterly). Once it was in proper perspective, she was on board.

jcs266- Agreed, lather is quite nice. I did much better today than yesterday with a thicker, richer lather using less water.

l am looking forward to learning and sharing!

:shaving:

Last edited:
Very well written posts to convey an interesting story!

Welcome to B&B, you'll find plenty to interest you including food & drink (alcoholic and non-), cameras, pens, firearms, all sorts of stuff.

Top Bottom