What's new

Feather vs Gillette Nacet Deathmatch

The two blades mentioned above are very dear to me. The feather I've used much longer, but the Nacet is growing on me. I will pit these two wonderful blades against each other in a "winner is what I'll shave with from here on out" challenge.

I will be using a Muhle R41 and a Gillette 1947 Aristocrat as the test razors. I will use DR Harris marlborough shaving cream. The brush will be a mixed midget.

I will rotate the razors to "feel" the blade in a gentle razor and an extremely aggressive one. The test begins after my 7am workout. I will keep you all posted.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Have Nacets enroute.

If they can cut an alligator in half, I have a use for them.

The Russians, as a group, really are quite smooth ... love the Voskhods and Ladas.

Bring on your "face-off!"

AA :tongue_sm

Today's shave was quite nice indeed. I used the Aristocrat paired with the Feather. The shave was smooth and not harsh at all. First pass was WTG and it glided along without a hitch. Second Pass was ATG with a little clean up and buffing. DFS but no BBS. I expected as much from the start as I only do two passes initially to break the blades in, rather than corking them. All in all, the feather performed perfectly.

Each day I will mirror my shaving habits to a tee. So as to give each blade the exact same perimeters. Tomorrow, I will shave with the Nacet in the Aristocrat the same as today and see how it performs.

The blades will be rated on these points:

1) sharpness
2) lifespan
3) comfort
4) compatibility (with other razors as I am testing a mild and an extremely aggressive razor)

Have Nacets enroute.

If they can cut an alligator in half, I have a use for them.

The Russians, as a group, really are quite smooth ... love the Voskhods and Ladas.

Bring on your "face-off!"

AA :tongue_sm

The Nacets have been my everyday shave for a while very forgiving and nice and sharp.

Shave #2

The Nacet in the aristocrat was flawless two pass near BBS. This blade in contrast to the feather seems comfortable and more forgiving. Somehow, it still retains its laser sharp cutting power. To me, this blade is on the same plane and possibly better than the Feather.

Next shave will be the R41 with Feather.

The Russian Nacet in the purple package with the gold alligator being cut in half with a Razor. It does have Arabic writing on the package I believe though.
....Both are Russian ,one labeled for the Arab and North African market and one for the British market , I like them both.

Attachments

• $DSCN0151.jpg
    $DSCN0151.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 221
  • $DSCN0153.jpg
    $DSCN0153.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 220
  • $DSCN0155.jpg
    $DSCN0155.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 215
Shave #3

I let some beard growth occur for the next test.
The Feather loaded in the R41. The first pass was a little rough and not nearly as smooth as in the Aristocrat, but that was to be expected. The initial pass cleaned most of my face up nice and was WTG. The next pass was much smoother but had the strange feeling of a cheese grater on my face. No blood however, just an uncomfortable glide across the skin. The third pass was the same and I got a DFS, but definitely not BBS shave. I will not shave with this razor again as I feel the Feather has no more shaves left in its tank.

Shave #4

The Nacet in the R41. I again let growth build up for this one. The first pass WTG was smooth smooth smooth. No problems. Heck, I could just have easily not done a second pass and had a DFS. Second pass and third pass were wonderful and the result BBS all around.

Conclusion:

Since the Feather gave up the ghost I will do a quick rundown

Feather:

Sharpness-10
Lifespan-3
Comfort-6
Compatibility-5

Total: 24

Nacet:

Sharpness-9
Lifespan-10
Comfort-9
Comparability-10

Total: 38

The clear winner is the Nacet; though not initially as sharp, it holds an edge longer and is the much wiser choice. The Feather lasts between 3-5 shaves if you push it. The Nacet lasts up to 10-14 shaves for me in the past. Hope you enjoyed this short shoot out between the famed FEATHER and the underdog turned champion NACET.

I am on my seventh Russian blade in an eleven blade test and its pleasantly annoying how good all these blades are. Hard to pick out the ones I like best. However, I do think the Gillettes edge out (pun intended) the ones made by Mostochlegmash.

That said, I really like Feathers in a mild razor like my post was Tech, but given the price difference between Nacets (and others) and the former, I am leaning toward using up the rest of my Feathers and going straight Russian.

Top Bottom