What's new

Hyper-miling your shaving soaps

I usually have enough lather for the neighbourhood... I have so many bloody soaps/creams that it'll take me years to get through them all. Most are cheap so I'm not concerned. I even usually over lather MdC but not because I try.

I've been trying to perfect the perfect shaving soap. I've made nine batches so far and each about two pounds, so I've got enough for the rest of my life. I lather huge amounts every time.

I like to be extravagant with lather, but I waste very little of it. Unless I'm in a rush (rare these days) I will usually just keep shaving until the lather is used up. That may result in 5 passes with lots of blade buffing. Following my last rinse I use an alum block, which I leave on while I clean up the sink a little. Finally I rinse off the alum, and then squeeze the last of the lather out of the brush to wash any alum residue off.

BRITD, I admire your idea; of being as precise as possible in your technique. Shaving is such an individual activity that really, anything goes. Saving money and being frugal is always a good thing -- how ironic that so many of us got into this initially to save money.

I think I get my money's worth out of my soap.

I don't waste soap, but I don't go out of my way to scrimp either... everything is pretty much dialed in now so that I make the right amount of lather each time.

I doubt that anyone could have Arko scent permeating throughout their shaving supplies and forget that its there. :001_rolle

Top Bottom