What's new

Talk me into my next expensive badger brush.

Hey all. I've found that collecting shaving brushes is probably my favorite part of this hobby, other than the fragrances. Do I need any more brushes? No, not in the least; at this point I realize it's sheer luxury. But for whatever reason, brushes are where my eye lingers, and I wonder if you'd indulge me in a bit of brainstorm. Because I'm not sure exactly what I'd like.

Here is my brush army so far. Left to right, in no order of preference:

Semogue Owner's Club 2012 Special Edition with mixed badger-boar knot.
Semogue Owner's Club 2 band badger, cherry handle.
Muhle Silvertip badger, olivewood handle.
Art of Shaving fine badger, ivory handle.

$20160524_021738.jpg

And last but by no means least:

Da Vinci Uomo 290 silvertip.
Da Vinci Uomo 293 silvertip.

$20160524_021837.jpg

So this may be saying a few things about me. I like softness, really really really like softness. I like badger. I like the boar-badger mix of the SOC, but I prefer badger to boar in my brushes. I'm a bowl latherer. I never really got face lathering to work, and I've no real desire to try. I like bowl lathering. I use soaps and creams about 50/50.

So, I'm looking for a new brush. (Seven sounds like a great number, doesn't it?) I don't really need it *for* anything I can think of--unless you fine fellows can suggest something to me. I'm looking for something my collection maybe doesn't have, or something that fits a gap in it. I was thinking maybe Simpsons or Kent; but that's only because I know they are nice brands; the only brands I have any experience with are the ones you see in the picture.

Is anything springing to mind to any of you? Can any of you think "I can't believe he doesn't have a _____"? Care to brainstorm with me?

This one is easy. A Shavemac 2 band silvertip. Nice backbone with the absolute softest of tips. As a bonus you can customize your brush by choosing handle type, material, size, loft etc. although I would stick with thier recommended diameter vs loft ratios.

Another idea is having Rudy Vey make you a custom brush. Of course using a Shavemac 2 Band silvertip knot. It's close to the same price as ordering from Shavemac.
[email protected]

This one is easy. A Shavemac 2 band silvertip. Nice backbone with the absolute softest of tips. As a bonus you can customize your brush by choosing handle type, material, size, loft etc. although I would stick with thier recommended diameter vs loft ratios.

Another idea is having Rudy Vey make you a custom brush. Of course using a Shavemac 2 Band silvertip knot. It's close to the same price as ordering from Shavemac.
[email protected]
Great suggestions. I've been looking into Shavemacs myself and just haven't pulled the trigger just yet. Investigate the brushes by H.L. Thater. Quite possibly the softest bristles on the planet. Let's not forget Simpson!!

A custom Rudy Vey is a beautiful brush. I'd lean that way personally after my experience with Rudy's professionalism and craftsmanship.

I'm salivating over a Wolf Whiskers brush...waiting for the waitlist to open. Lots of WW fans here...they might chime in.

Simpson Chubby2 in Best or Rooney Stubby 2XL. IMO,the best two brushes around.(Presuming you like large and dense brushes)

Craig

Consider a Simpson's badger. Tons of options! Based on your description, l suggest you look at a Duke, Fifty series, Polo or Commodore.

I would look into Savile Row (Shavemac) or Thater for softness. Love my DaVinci's as well. Enjoy the search, there are a lot of quality brushes out there.

I would look into Savile Row (Shavemac) or Thater for softness. Love my DaVinci's as well. Enjoy the search, there are a lot of quality brushes out there.

Those would be my choices. Savile Row, Thater 4292, or Shavemac 3-band silvertip.

Lots of good choices mentioned. I will throw in my favorite bowl latherer, the Kent BK8. I also think you should pick up a synthetic or 2 to round things out.

Those would be my choices. Savile Row, Thater 4292, or Shavemac 3-band silvertip.

Thats part of my stable.

SR's 3824 and 3118
Thater 4292 and 4125
Shavemac: 26mm 3 Band Silver tip Flat top
DaVinci Uomo 290

Depending on the day of the week I would be hard pressed to pick a clear favorite out of the lot.

Excellent collection!

I'm thinking of swapping my Thater for a Savile Row. I want a touch more loft and a little bigger handle. Otherwise I love the German brushes.

Instead get a RazoRock Plissoft 26mm Monster from Italian Barber, $11 or so. It is a game-changer for synthetics. You will be glad you did.

Great suggestions. I've been looking into Shavemacs myself and just haven't pulled the trigger just yet. Investigate the brushes by H.L. Thater. Quite possibly the softest bristles on the planet. Let's not forget Simpson!!

Thater brushes are also excellent. Thier 3 band is softer than a baby bunny.

Just fast forward to a Thäter 4292. I would recommend it in size 3, 4 or 5 depending on your size preference. In my opinion, the 2 band looks nicer than the 3 band, and I prefer the bulb shape to the fan sharpe regardless of whether I bowl lather or face lather.

I find the 4292/4 to be the ultimate Goldilocks brush.

$image.jpg

Top Bottom