What's new

Dollar Shave Club and Harry's

I signed up for Dollar Shave Club advertised on Facebook. Receive a handle and (5) executive (6) bladed cartridges along with the Dr. Carvers Shave Butter. First I have to say that this was not regrettable choice for $8. Refills are only $9 with free shipping. The shave butter feels awesome! It goes on clear and does not clog up the razor cartridge. I use it with my old Gillette adjustable collection without any complications. Straight to the point now, I contacted Harry's to see how they compete with DSC. This is the reply that I had gotten.

"Our Free Trial is currently only offered when you sign up for the Blades Only plan, or when you call and upgrade to add other products. We think it's a really great way to try our products and get signed up for convenient shipments direct to your door. You pay an initial $3 for shipping ($6 in Canada) for the trial package which includes a handle, a blade, a 2 oz can of Foaming Shave Gel, and a travel blade cover, then $15 when your first Blades Only (8 blades) refill is shipped 17 days later."

That is $15 dollars for (8) blades as opposed to only (5) blades for $9 from DSC. It does seem like a better deal, but the first initial start is like 18 dollars. I think ill stay with my Dr. Carvers and continue to use my Astra Platinum blades.

Last edited:
Checking out DSC was a step on the way to discovering DE. What turned me off on the idea was that the subscription had no sunset. Once signed up, they kept taking until you cancelled. Sometimes such deals do not do a good job of cancelling quickly on notification, and besides I could see a scenario where they keep taking from your account after you die and before the estate liquidates. DE gear and consumables are much cheaper than any subscription service. Plus, you can stock up when you feel like it and just use what you have when you feel like it.

I guess it depends on how often you change blades. I believe DSC offers an option to ship every other month, so if you get two weeks out of a cart you can cut your costs in half.

I still believe if you like DSC, which is Dorco carts, or Harry's, the best financial decision is to avoid the subscriptions and just buy the occasional bulk shipment. Harry's offers a better price per cart when you buy 16 at a time. DSC can be bypassed, as the same blades are sold directly by Dorco, and they have 25-30% off coupons posted to their Facebook at least once a month.

They going after my Gillette collection?!?! That's crazy talk man! Crazy talk. That's how they make the real big bucks.

Checking out DSC was a step on the way to discovering DE. What turned me off on the idea was that the subscription had no sunset. Once signed up, they kept taking until you cancelled. Sometimes such deals do not do a good job of cancelling quickly on notification, and besides I could see a scenario where they keep taking from your account after you die and before the estate liquidates. DE gear and consumables are much cheaper than any subscription service. Plus, you can stock up when you feel like it and just use what you have when you feel like it.

As they say YMMV. For me these are a likely improvement over P+G, but not over traditional DE. But whatever works for you is OK!

I wont be giving up my DE razor. I feel honestly if people was to confess about there rotations, A cartridge razor is in there at some time. I have a good collection of DE when it comes to Muhle and Gillette. Cartridges, I have Shick hydro, quarto, and the executive by DSC.

What turned me off on the idea was that the subscription had no sunset. Once signed up, they kept taking until you cancelled.

Yep, I hate that. DSC counts on subscribers forgetting about their subscription so DSC can continue billing automatically to a credit card for all eternity.

Harry's, to its credit, doesn't try to shove a mandatory subscription up your butt.

Harry's, to its credit, doesn't try to shove a mandatory subscription up your butt.
my first thought to your reply....
$image.jpeg

I did the DSC this past week and am really not happy with the blades. I mean they are OK, but nothing to write home about. I was just looking for something quicker than DE shaving.... and I have been DE shaving for 5 years (de89lbl and cheapest blades I can find) and it just gets old. No trimming edge for under your nose on DE razors so you really have to be careful. When you only got 2 minutes to shave DSC will get the job done, but don't plan on this blade lasting longer then 4 shaves. I can get 8 to 10 out of 1 generic DE razor blade.

DSC can be bypassed, as the same blades are sold directly by Dorco, and they have 25-30% off coupons posted to their Facebook at least once a month.

That's what I did a couple of years ago, on my way to DE -- those Dorco razors, purchased directly from Dorco's website, were a hell of a lot cheaper than the Gillette Fusion I had been using previously. (They were not as sharp as the Gillette, but they were sharp enough.) I still have several packages of Dorco cartridges left because I use he Dorco when I travel.

I did the DSC this past week and am really not happy with the blades. I mean they are OK, but nothing to write home about. I was just looking for something quicker than DE shaving.... and I have been DE shaving for 5 years (de89lbl and cheapest blades I can find) and it just gets old. No trimming edge for under your nose on DE razors so you really have to be careful. When you only got 2 minutes to shave DSC will get the job done, but don't plan on this blade lasting longer then 4 shaves. I can get 8 to 10 out of 1 generic DE razor blade.

I find the perfect compromise to be the Mach 3 disposables. They can be had cheaply, often with coupons, and offer a nice balance of cart size and smoothness. They also last quite a bit longer than 4 shaves for me.

I used to be a DSC memeber but quit it and moved into Wet shaving. As for Harry's they are alright but I hate how the blades are too close so it's hard to clean out. DSC I liked as I love the shave butter and the butt wipes.

I really like the shave butter. Very very nice. It took me the 2nd use to realize that I like the wipes. Never had a peppermint feeling on the bung hole before.

Top Bottom