What's new

My first straight razor shave.

Hi guys, so last night I got my first straight razor from whipped dog and today was my first shave with it. First of all it was totally different than I was expecting, it was much much lighter, and was more manuverable. The razor is a Genco head barber, I don't know the size probably 5/8 and looks to have a square point. The scales look to be imitation tortoise shell. There is a pit of pitting on the blade as well as some home ware, but all in all it seems to be fully functionable.

Now the shave. First off, I need a slicker soap, I'm using a milled face bar right now, long story, and it works just fine for DE. So I'll pick something up. Aside from that my problem areas seem to be my upper lip, and my jaw line, which is not very pronounced. My neck seemed to be the smoothest part of the shave, probably because I am very familiar with its topography. I don't think I nicked myself at all, 2 WTG passes, because there was no blood, but there was some clear irritation. I know I have to work on my angle, I believe I am fairly good with using little pressure. After my shave I used alum, far more tingle than ever before but not terrible, then I stropped and oiled my blade. I obviously have some learning to do, but I am open to any and all suggestions.

My shave routine is shower, lather, shave 2 WTG passes, 1 clean up, alum then cold water and aftershave balm. I will be ordering stifling shave soap soon, if anyone knows of any real slick Unscented soaps please let me know, or can I just add a drop of tea tree oil to my lather for a bit of added glide. I would assume my biggest problems are soap, then angle, then pressure. Can't wait to hear what you guys think.

Welcome to the addiction! You'll find that there are so many shave products that you could drive yourself nuts....what I've learnt more than anything is don't be afraid to experiment ; if you want to add tea tree oil, try it...lol.

I ordered stifling Unscented soap, I have RazoRock but the essential oil irritates my skin, that's why I have been jimmy rigging it for now. I just want to know if adding oil will make the soap I have now more slick? If it does I'll keep it for de, if not I'll chuck it when the new stuff comes in.
By the way and and all irritation I felt was gone about an hour after shavjng, my shave was not at all close but I'm just happy to be learning the new craft.

Top Bottom