What's new

Pressure vs no pressure?

I posted a few weeks ago and got some good advice. I have trouble with red neck and razor burn. Basically too many passes in that area to get it clean. My question is everyone says light pressure but when I do this nothing gets shaved in those areas so I end up putting more and more and the result is red neck but smooth. Tried stretching and everything. Mapping grain. Sigh.... i guess what I'm asking is what is a fellow to do in this type of situation? It's hairy neck or red neck. Both look bad. Any suggestions? Just looking for random ideas. Maybe something I haven't tried.

Ah, the age old question of pressure. Ultimately, continued practice will help you get this right. After mapping and stretching you may want to consider a slightly more aggressive razor. The wider blade gap and more exposure may help you shave that area closer with less passes using a light pressure.

Here's a link that may help you choose a razor. Safety Razors Ranked By Aggressiveness

Last edited:
Ah, the age old question of pressure. Ultimately, continued practice will help you get this right. After mapping and stretching you may want to consider a slightly more aggressive razor. The wider blade gap and more exposure may help you shave that area closer with less passes using a light pressure.
+1

I have to agree with Don above. But also remember, if you have done a pass or two over your trouble area your stubble may be "short enough." What I mean is that if you give it a go...then just let it be. The only person that will notice that your neck is "slightly" longer than your face is just you. I have a very heavy, thick, and coarse beard and I can get BBS on my face and mostly "just" a DFS on my neck area. In the end...nobody notices except me. Try out different things and experiment all you want. But in the end...if you can't get it, just let it go. The most important thing is to have some fun!

If your razor is properly designed and built, you shouldn't need to use much, if any, pressure to get it to cut. It sounds like you might not have found the correct angle for the razor yet.

I am a mere apprentice compared to the masters who have so far weighed in, but from my experience its all about angle and perhaps a minimum pressure XTG work on the neck. I find that after two WTG passes I can clean up the neck with a very light XTG pass.

I find that when the blade isn't cutting as well as we hope the tendency is to go for more passes or increase pressure. But it is the wrong tactic. One thing that has helped me is sound. When the angle is right it sounds different. Keeping angle constant is difficult on our necks because it requires adjusting how you hold the razor and how you angle the wrist and elbow. If you are like me this is difficult because I am impatient - relax and enjoy the experience. You will get it with practice. :thumbup: Also, shorter strokes helped me learn on the neck. Good luck.

Possibly a slightly steeper angle or a different blade
Also controlled pressure on the cap of the razor can sometimes give the blade more to "bite" on

Just out of curiosity. How does 1 figure out if they need more or less aggressive razor or blade without breaking the bank. I mean blades are fine and I have tons of different kinds i been try. But some of those razors are like 50 80 bucks. Right now I have the merkur 38 hd. I'd hate to buy a aggressive razor and use it once and be like ahhh. According to the list mine is on the milder side though. Any tips or just bite the bullet and buy?

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
If your razor is properly designed and built, you shouldn't need to use much, if any, pressure to get it to cut. It sounds like you might not have found the correct angle for the razor yet.

+1 Or you don't have the right razor for your face/beard.

I don't have much money to buy two or three razors for testing, either, so here's my 0.02 cents.

Since you're new to the house, do some reading about the different types of razors (DE, SE, Adjustable, etc.) and the blades over in those specific forums (okay, fora, for you Latin speakers :tongue_sm)..

And search for specific threads and info on your 38HD...

Less passes, more neck prep.

You say you have lots of blades. Keep the soap, brush and prep the same every day and try a NEW blade each day to see which works best. You might be over-using your blade.

Lastly, look at the various PassArounds. Some are for contributors only but many are open to all.

Welcome to the B&B
Nuestra casa es su casa.

Just out of curiosity. How does 1 figure out if they need more or less aggressive razor or blade without breaking the bank. I mean blades are fine and I have tons of different kinds i been try. But some of those razors are like 50 80 bucks. Right now I have the merkur 38 hd. I'd hate to buy a aggressive razor and use it once and be like ahhh. According to the list mine is on the milder side though. Any tips or just bite the bullet and buy?

Spot on. I have a patch of skin near my Adam's apple that could withstand 47 passes and still have faint stubble. I don't understand this, but I have learned to live with it. Kinds kidding, but the hair here is not coarse or dark, so the lack of BBS in this area is not noticeable.

Sometimes, all you can do is all you can do.

I have to agree with Don above. But also remember, if you have done a pass or two over your trouble area your stubble may be "short enough." What I mean is that if you give it a go...then just let it be. The only person that will notice that your neck is "slightly" longer than your face is just you. I have a very heavy, thick, and coarse beard and I can get BBS on my face and mostly "just" a DFS on my neck area. In the end...nobody notices except me. Try out different things and experiment all you want. But in the end...if you can't get it, just let it go. The most important thing is to have some fun!

Here's a link that may help you choose a razor. Safety Razors Ranked By Aggressiveness

+3! Technique is key! IME less pressure = better shaves!

How about getting a not-so-pretty, but functional, vintage Gillette adjustable? If patient, should be less than $25 on the bay.

I posted a few weeks ago and got some good advice. I have trouble with red neck and razor burn. Basically too many passes in that area to get it clean. My question is everyone says light pressure but when I do this nothing gets shaved in those areas so I end up putting more and more and the result is red neck but smooth. Tried stretching and everything. Mapping grain. Sigh.... i guess what I'm asking is what is a fellow to do in this type of situation? It's hairy neck or red neck. Both look bad. Any suggestions? Just looking for random ideas. Maybe something I haven't tried.

Jseitz21,

I have found that when I use a milder razor, the tendency is to also use more pressure which sometimes leads to irritation of the skin. My experience is that as I have gone to more aggressive/efficient razors, it has required less pressure and passes. You do have to take more care though because there is more of a tendency for the blade to bite if you rush or get careless.

But,... if you treat the aggressive razors with a lot of respect I think you will enjoy the results.

RD

As Steve said, if the angle is right it should cut. Take a look at the wiki for some info on finding the right blade angle.

Thanks for all the help. I am pretty sure that I got the angle right. I did bite the bullet and ordered a fat tip razor. It's supposed to be on the aggressive side. We'll give it a go when it gets here. Maybe I'm just to gentile of a razor

Top Bottom