What's new

My first

Pretty exciting, I've just ordered my first fountain pen, nothing special just a basic Parker vector but I'm really excited to start working on my penmanship.

$eXU08.jpg

Welcome aboard, hang onto the wallet!

It's got a few carts with it, as for paper it's more for my personal daily writing, I've got a little book that I use in my EDC for jotting

Congrats... Solid pen you have on order. I still have my Vector from my early school days (1986)... It still does the job nicely.

You will however discover that not all papers are equal... just hit us up for recommendations :001_smile

Enjoy the writing!!! and ask if you need help....

A Vector is a great starter pen; it's what I used throughout middle and high school. Cheap enough that when you lose it, you don't cry (much).

I just recived it, I got 2 blue carts with it and the stock converter. Honestly I've wanted a nice fountain pen since I was about 11 and my mum would use this old beaten up thing that wrote with green ink! I've never had good hand writing so I'm hoping that this pen will serve as a constant reminder to slow down, take my time and write well.
I decided to pull the trigger on this one as I've had my Parker mechanical pencil for the past 8 months and have managed to not lose it, I must be growing up.

Congrats on the pen! I bought a Metropolitan about a year ago...still love it. I've been making an effort to hand write letters and cards as much as I can manage in todays tech world. My handwriting is better but I would still like to work up to a flex nib and use a fancier style of penmanship. Ah well, practice makes perfect.

I just recived it, I got 2 blue carts with it and the stock converter. Honestly I've wanted a nice fountain pen since I was about 11 and my mum would use this old beaten up thing that wrote with green ink! I've never had good hand writing so I'm hoping that this pen will serve as a constant reminder to slow down, take my time and write well.
I decided to pull the trigger on this one as I've had my Parker mechanical pencil for the past 8 months and have managed to not lose it, I must be growing up.
You're just growing up so fast :)
Sounds good, I've always wanted to use a fountain pen, other than the school days and want my penmanship to improve, with time obviously, it needs it.

I bought a Lamy a couple of weeks back. Great pen. I amazed on how much my penmanship has improved in the last couple of weeks.

Can I also suggest a couple of Chinese pens. the Jinhao brand are well made and give reliable performance at an exceptionally low price.

The Jinhao 599 is similar in styling to the Lamy but can be bought for less than $2/£1 including mailing.

The Jinhao 250 or 450 is comparable in size to the Parker Sonnet, at least as well made and costs less than $5/£3.

The Jinhao 159 is similar in style and size to the Montblanc 149 and costs less than $5/£4.

In all cases and unless your handwriting is very small I would select the Medium nib options, or even a Broad if you can find one.

The quality of these pens is in a different league from the Chinese pens of 10 years ago and also much better than other chinese pens that I have found.

I have been a user, collector and repairer for 40 years and still have 300+ pens but for my daily user I would look to one of the Jinao range.

Can I also suggest a couple of Chinese pens. the Jinhao brand are well made and give reliable performance at an exceptionally low price.

The Jinhao 599 is similar in styling to the Lamy but can be bought for less than $2/£1 including mailing.

The Jinhao 250 or 450 is comparable in size to the Parker Sonnet, at least as well made and costs less than $5/£3.

The Jinhao 159 is similar in style and size to the Montblanc 149 and costs less than $5/£4.

In all cases and unless your handwriting is very small I would select the Medium nib options, or even a Broad if you can find one.

The quality of these pens is in a different league from the Chinese pens of 10 years ago and also much better than other chinese pens that I have found.

I have been a user, collector and repairer for 40 years and still have 300+ pens but for my daily user I would look to one of the Jinao range.

I will look into those. Thanks! l:detective:

The good things about this brand in general and this model in particular are that they are low priced and do their job.

10 years ago I would not have been able to recommend any Chinese pen as a good idea, whether for a beginner or an expert. Jinhao have come a long way, most of their models are less than $5 including mailing and are well made, they write well, without a lot of fuss, and are perfect for those who want to see if a fountain pen is good for them without a big outlay.

Parents also tell me that they buy a few of the 599s so that they can sit down with their children and write letters, cards, stories and anything else they wish, they all practice their handwriting together with Dads new pens! And if they get bent or out of shape its no big deal, it might have been if you had been using a Montblanc.

Top Bottom