What's new

Simpson Chubby 2

I just found a Simpson Chubby 2 in best badger at what seems a great price based on what other sellers are getting for them. I've only used Edwin Jagger and Parker brushes so far. Are Simpson's so good that these other brushes do not even compare? I've read that they are so densely packed that they take a couple of days to thoroughly dry. I used to face lather only, until I found this forum and learned that many use a bowl as well. Now I have a mug for building a lather which is what I've been doing. If I really like this brush, I may get a Duke or Classic as well and get rid of some of my other brushes. Anyone want to share their opinions on these brushes? btw this is my first post. thanks in advance.

Welcome aboard Ron.

I'm guessing that you have found this deal and it does seem to be a great price.

The Chubby is iconic- very few people would doubt that... the only question is whether or not it suits your needs.

yes, that's the one I bought. But darn, I missed the additional 10% off at checkout!! I don't know how that slipped by me.

yes, that's the one I bought. But darn, I missed the additional 10% off at checkout!! I don't know how that slipped by me.

That was a shame... but it was a smoking deal in any case. Let us know how the brush goes when it arrives.

I love my Chubby 2! For a long time it was my only brush. Though mine was in super badger.

IMHO Simpson brushes are really that great. My only complaint is that they're a little pricey. But that price is gonna be hard to beat! I say go for it!

Are Simpson's so good that these other brushes do not even compare? I've read that they are so densely packed that they take a couple of days to thoroughly dry.

In my opinion yes, some of the best most densely packed badger brushes money can buy. YMMV. I have a chubby 2 and a duke 3. In my experience each of these brushes will dry thoroughly overnight. I use my Chubby 2 everyday and it's never felt at all damp in the morning.

Well, just to update I called supplier this morning to inquire about delivery as I did not receive the e-mail telling me it shipped. Well, he looked and told me it was out for delivery today. Great! Then I told the sales clerk that I had heard their was a 10% discount available when the proper code was entered when placing the order. Long story short; he issued me a 10% credit and credited me with points for future purchases. This company (Royal Shave) seems like a very nice place to do business. A Chubby 2 for around $122 dollars is hard to beat. The brush arrived and I'm anxious to try it out!! I'll let you know how I like it. BTW, I'm not planning on using a stand with it, as it is too chubby for any of my existing stands. Strangely, the instructions say to apply the lather in a paintbrush style back and forth rather than a circular motion on the face. I'm not sure how that will work for building a lather. Anyone care to give me your advice/experience? thanks

Well, just to update I called supplier this morning to inquire about delivery as I did not receive the e-mail telling me it shipped. Well, he looked and told me it was out for delivery today. Great! Then I told the sales clerk that I had heard their was a 10% discount available when the proper code was entered when placing the order. Long story short; he issued me a 10% credit and credited me with points for future purchases. This company (Royal Shave) seems like a very nice place to do business. A Chubby 2 for around $122 dollars is hard to beat. The brush arrived and I'm anxious to try it out!! I'll let you know how I like it. BTW, I'm not planning on using a stand with it, as it is too chubby for any of my existing stands. Strangely, the instructions say to apply the lather in a paintbrush style back and forth rather than a circular motion on the face. I'm not sure how that will work for building a lather. Anyone care to give me your advice/experience? thanks

Don't worry about that paintbrush line. It it may be marginally easier on your brushes not to swirl, but the consensus among those I have discussed the matter with assume it is just boilerplate fluff.

pretty sure most manufacturers say that and many ignore it. I'm not recommending ignoring manufacturer's instructions mind you.

Wow! Great score! I'll add my opinion that Simpsons really are that good. Glad you had a good experience with Royal Shave as well. Feel free to snap a few pics and let us know how you like it.

Yes, I received the brush in a timely manner. I called Royal Shave and explained that I'd heard that a 10% discount was available, and they reimbursed me $13.50 so the brush only cost $122, which I didn't think was a bad deal at all. I liked the Chubby 2 so much that I purchased a Chubby 1 to go with it. Every time I use it, it lathers better and better, I think it's a breaking in process. I'm finding that you have to really load the chubbies. It's luxurious to use brushes that have such dense and fine badger hair. Now when I compare them to my other brushes, well the other brushes really don't compare. My Edwin Jagger in best badger is not a cheap brush, but it really doesn't compare well to the chubbies. I'm kinda going overboard with brushes now, I've since added a Duke 3 and a Classic 2. I'm even eyeballing the Duke 2, someone tell me i'm getting carried away please! BTW, would a Duke 1 or 2 complement the Duke 3?

Yes, I received the brush in a timely manner. I called Royal Shave and explained that I'd heard that a 10% discount was available, and they reimbursed me $13.50 so the brush only cost $122, which I didn't think was a bad deal at all. I liked the Chubby 2 so much that I purchased a Chubby 1 to go with it. Every time I use it, it lathers better and better, I think it's a breaking in process. I'm finding that you have to really load the chubbies. It's luxurious to use brushes that have such dense and fine badger hair. Now when I compare them to my other brushes, well the other brushes really don't compare. My Edwin Jagger in best badger is not a cheap brush, but it really doesn't compare well to the chubbies. I'm kinda going overboard with brushes now, I've since added a Duke 3 and a Classic 2. I'm even eyeballing the Duke 2, someone tell me i'm getting carried away please! BTW, would a Duke 1 or 2 complement the Duke 3?

I know the feeling!

Listen, before you buy any more Simpsons, go check out Shavemac's web site. A Shavemac with the 2 band silvertip knot will be a great companion to your Simpsons, and it will cost less money.

I love Simpsons, I have a bunch of them. No disrespect meant to Simpsons, but Shavemacs can give you more bang for the buck.

My Chubby 2 just keeps getting better and better. The more I use it the easier it is to make a nice thick lather. When I first used it the lather production was not nearly as good as it has been lately. I guess there is a breakin period with this brush.

I know the feeling!

Listen, before you buy any more Simpsons, go check out Shavemac's web site. A Shavemac with the 2 band silvertip knot will be a great companion to your Simpsons, and it will cost less money.

I love Simpsons, I have a bunch of them. No disrespect meant to Simpsons, but Shavemacs can give you more bang for the buck.

+1

shavemac 2-band silvertip ia a fantastic brush

I have a Chubby 2 in best, it's a fantastic brush and really does improve with use. I was not that impressed on the first couple of goes but now it lather's like a champ and feels really luxurious. I also have a few Shavemacs, they're top quality too and are well worth looking into. Bernd is a top bloke to work with and you can customise pretty much everything.

Top Bottom