What's new

Simpsons Chubby 2

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have two Simpsons chubbies 2 now - in best and in super. I feel that the super has much more backbone than the best. Do you agree or not?
All other things being equal, as an entire knot the Super could have more backbone due to the density, but as an individual hair I suspect the thicker Best would have more backbone than the Super. That said, Simpson are known for their very wide tolerances in loft, knot size, etc. even between two brushes of the same model, which will also make a difference in how you perceive the backbone.

My Chubby 3 in super has little backbone but that was expected. The shedding was not expected so maybe there’s some density removed but I doubt it. Mine never bloomed quite like others I’ve seen. I have not tried Best as I’ve not been sure that it’s a good fit for me based on what I’ve read. However, I’m really surprised that a super might have more backbone than any other hair they produce. But that is only based on comparisons to my 2-band and manchurian which have more notable backbone and my super which has essentially no backbone (which I like for this brush…no complaint). Stick a pin in the knot to check for a big glue bump which I would doubt is present on a super but could create some artificial backbone. If no glue bump and there is enough additional density in the super to warrant this dynamic, be glad you won on your spin of the Simpson roulette wheel.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I own both and find backbone to be pretty much the same. That said, if I could have only one, it certainly would be in Best. The Chubby 2 Best is the most legendary Simpson of them all.

Probably depends on the particular brushes you have. I have the exact opposite experience. My Chubby 2 in Best (which skews more towards a bulb shape) feels like it could support a 73 Beetle without bending and my Super version (which skews more towards a fan shape) feels fairly ordinary.

There was a time till Somerset, pre vulfix/early vulfix era the brushes always did what the writing on promised...
I'm afraid those times are gone

I've found no difference in backbone between Best and Super. I'd guess what you are noticing is backbone caused by a larger glue bump. You can feel for that by pressing at the base of the knot. Dense hair will give a bit, while glue will not. Chubbys typically don't have much of a glue bump, while Polos typically do. I was told once that the reason for the glue bump in Polos is that it facilitates bowl lathering, which is that brush's intended use.

I own both and find backbone to be pretty much the same. That said, if I could have only one, it certainly would be in Best. The Chubby 2 Best is the most legendary Simpson of them all.
I have been so more than satisfied with all my Simpson Besties...
full

Top Bottom