What's new

My Soap Making Adventure

Wow, nice lather wonder how slick it is.

I can't comment on this soap but I can comment on ingredients and their effect. Slickness is one of those properties that all oils and butters claim to add to soap but some will inevitably be better than others. I'm making it a goal to find out which are best for me and my face. I haven't tried clay yet but have some on hand and hear it helps.

This is an awesome thread. Do you think lemongrass would work as a scent for a soap?

Absolutely, great choice and one I just bought.

I can't comment on this soap but I can comment on ingredients and their effect. Slickness is one of those properties that all oils and butters claim to add to soap but some will inevitably be better than others. I'm making it a goal to find out which are best for me and my face. I haven't tried clay yet but have some on hand and hear it helps.

Absolutely, great choice and one I just bought.

Clay might help, and silk powder is used by some as well but I would be careful with adding clay since it can cause drying if you use too much.

In reviewing your formula I didn't see any glycerin in it. Is this something you might consider using?

I thought I would try it out one day in one of these tallow batches but for now I should have plenty of glycerin from the coconut oil after saponification.
I know a lot of veggie soaps add extra glycerin so that was my original plan, add glycerin in my veggie soap beta 1.3 or 1.4 somewhere down the line once I get the basics down. Even then I should have a lot of glycerin in my veggie soap if I am running 15-25% coconut oil.

By the way, I can't wait for your shave soaps to come out! Your setup is huge, I'm excited to buy some big round pucks :thumbup:

Good to hear that you will be trying more things! I had the time today and decided I was ready to make a small batch based on a new cold-processed formula which went well! You can see it here:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/488847-Our-next-project-Stone-Cottage-Shaving-Soap!

Thanks for your kind words!

I thought I would try it out one day in one of these tallow batches but for now I should have plenty of glycerin from the coconut oil after saponification.
I know a lot of veggie soaps add extra glycerin so that was my original plan, add glycerin in my veggie soap beta 1.3 or 1.4 somewhere down the line once I get the basics down. Even then I should have a lot of glycerin in my veggie soap if I am running 15-25% coconut oil.

By the way, I can't wait for your shave soaps to come out! Your setup is huge, I'm excited to buy some big round pucks :thumbup:

This is Veggie 1.0, NaOH only. Veggie 1.1 will be KOH only and 1.2 will be 60/40. The 1.1 will likely become liquid hand soap. And 1.0 should be so hard it is difficult to lather, we will see.

Water
$20160515_225109.jpg

Stearic Acid
$20160515_225235.jpg

Coconut oil
$20160515_225442.jpg

Other butters and oils
$20160515_230031.jpg

Dude, Look at this clump of junk. I bought this over the weekend from a man claiming he makes shaving soap. Ill keep the info secret. But it only contains water and Oils. This stuff leaves horrible... horrible razor burn.
$unnamed.jpg

Dude, Look at this clump of junk. I bought this over the weekend from a man claiming he makes shaving soap. Ill keep the info secret. But it only contains water and Oils. This stuff leaves horrible... horrible razor burn.
View attachment 658998

You shaved with that? :scared: Local artisans often have no clue what shaving soap means to us in the wet-shaving community.

I did. If I don't receive a reply soon from the "company" that I bought it from. ill post the picture of the ingredients on the lid of the jar I broke it out of.
$dr_evil_austin_powers.jpg

Some but not all! :wink2: In making shaving products of any type one has to think like a cosmetic chemist, not a soapmaker!
That's very true! One if the best soaps I have was a local artisan and his soap is up there with the top artisans like Stirlings and B&M, sorry I cannot comment on your work but it's on my list!

Go ahead and post the ingredients anyway, I think it would be very educational especially in a soap making thread.

Today I popped the soap out of the molds and shaved with it. It was difficult to lather as we all knew it would be. I'm excited to try the 100% KOH version next, this has been very educational for me as well as my kids who have been helping. Family fun!

$20160516_005505.jpg

$20160516_112211.jpg

Top Bottom