What's new

Bourbon for Old Fashioned

Hi chaps,

Was wondering what kind of Bourbon you would recommend for an old fashioned, but that is also good neat. Would prefer to keep this at or under about 40quid (60USD).

Readily available is Bulleit, Buffalo Trace, Makers Mark, Four Roses, Elijah Craig. I am sure others are available, and am more than happy to have a search if its worth it.

Cheers :a54:

From your list I would select the Four Roses (single barrel?) or the Elijah Craig, both of which should make for a nice glass of neat whiskey and a great old fashioned. I prefer the Wild Turkey 101 for whiskey cocktails; it is also is nice over rocks or neat. For a relatively inexpensive bottle (< $25 around here) it is a bargain IMHO. George Dickel 12 (a Tennessee Whisky) is also good for cocktails or neat but may be difficult to locate in the UK.

I personally like rye whiskey in my Old Fashioned drinks but there is a bourbon called I.W. Harper that is good neat AND makes a good Old Fashioned. Not sure how much it would cost in the UK.

Bulleit Bourbon (sweeter) or Bulleit Rye (spicier). Knob Creek might be nice, but I am not sure what it costs in the UK. Ancient Ancient Age is quite underrated, is pretty inexpensive, and would do well with the sugar given that it is a tad aggressive.

I'd take Buffalo Trace of those you listed. Lotta great bourbons come from that distillery, and that is an affordable bottle.

I'm probably blaspehmous but Four Roses Yellow label (their lowest offering) suits me fine neat or on the rocks. Dickel on the rocks is nice any label... Bulleit Bourbon is great neat or rocks and the rye I prefer on the rocks but can drink it neat.

I haven't made a whiskey cocktail in a while but Evan Williams Single Barrel made a decent one. Not sure if you can get it over there. It is also relatively cheap for a single barrel whiskey.

Was offered a couple of nips from a pint of Evan Williams Black after a long MTB ride yesterday. The day had turned overcast, windy, and cool. I did not turn it down!

Don't throw rocks at me but I like Evan Williams black label for an Old Fashioned. A good, value bourbon.

+1 Steve. No rocks from this quarter; I'm with you and consider EW Black to be about the best value around in bourbon. Granted it does not possess the depth or complexity of the some of the higher priced stuff, but hey, it's 15 bucks (or less outside of the control state of Oregon). For me, it touches all the bases for bourbon and shows considerably more character than just about any other bottom shelf spirit that I can think of. It makes a great Old Fashioned, and it's perfectly drinkable neat, provided you aren't in the mood to over think your whiskey. Plus, having some around will save you a lot of grief (and money) when the cousins come over and want bourbon and Coke :001_huh:.

Last edited:
Bulleit, Four Roses, Makers Mark is all good. Makers Mark is probably my favourite of the bunch when neat, although Bulleit is pretty tasty too. Try them outdoors in the open air, the extra oxygen makes them extra yummy.

Bulleit, Four Roses, Makers Mark is all good. Makers Mark is probably my favourite of the bunch when neat, although Bulleit is pretty tasty too. Try them outdoors in the open air, the extra oxygen makes them extra yummy.
I have yet to try Maker's Mark. I keep saying I'm going to buy a bottle and then get distracted by something else. I'm going to have to fix that!!

Top Bottom