What's new

Suehiro Cerax combi + Honyama which jumps in the set up?

Good luck. I wouldn't use anything on the 1000/3000 (from the picture, I'm pretty sure it's a straight trad. Suehiro, even though it's marked as "Cerax"). The additional stone with the synth is not for raising a slurry; it is just for removing swarf/glazing, so as not to need to flatten so much with a diamond plate or sandpaper on glass. For lapping, yeah, either a coarse DMT or ~P320 wet/dry sandpaper with water on a thick sheet of glass.

If you can hand pick a honyama stone at their store, you might get a really good one. The stones seem to be very cheap, but they bought a big stock about 15 years ago, and there where some really good ones.

In the german GRF forum one guy was lucky and handpicked a perfect one, that can compare too all of my really expensive Jnats! (some Marukas, Hatohoshi stamped Maruka etc......)

so go for it, the shave will be good, if not outstanding.

Greets Sebastian.

Sueiro Serax 1k-6 k is amazing stone and best stone for razors avaible on the Europe market at the best prise You will find it very smooth and easy to use and agressive cutter

@ alum of potash

I was confused about the look of the 'cerax' as well. I looked at some pictures on google of the cerax 1000/3000 and they are all white and blue. The shop is well regarded so I suppose they will not sell a traditional Suehiro stone as a cerax. But I will keep an eye it and keep you posted when the order comes in.

I will keep in mind that the synthetic nagura that comes with the cerax is not a slurry stone. For flattening I will go for the wet/dry as you suggested and I have still flat thick hardened glass from a Landrover window around somewhere.

Last edited:
@ Sebastian

I also read about the stone on a German forum. I planned to pass by their shop, but my travel plans changed. I had e-mail contact with them and I explained that I want it for a straight razor. They answered that they would select a suitable stone. I know 'control is better than trust' but for now I can only trust.

@ rusenbg

Thanx for the vote of trust in the cerax. I hope and expect it to be a good value for money stone. Now I am waiting for the order to arrive; it will be a couple of days and then I will let you know what I got.

@ alum of potash

I was confused about the look of the 'cerax' as well. I looked at some pictures on google of the cerax 1000/3000 and they are all white and blue. The shop is well regarded so I suppose they will not sell a traditional Suehiro stone as a cerax. But I will keep an eye it and keep you posted when the order comes in.

I will keep in mind that the synthetic nagura that comes with the cerax is not a slurry stone. For flattening I will go for the wet/dry as you suggested and I have still flat thick hardened glass from a Landrover window around somewhere.

I'm sure it will be fine either way and appreciate the background research you have put into the subject. Good luck.

The pentecost weekend made transport a bit longer, but finally there they are. Below a quick picture of the no name Honyama quarry stone. The stone is more brownish in reality. I will send a color corrected image later. I will report back to you about my experiences.
$honyamaDSCF3050.jpg

Herewith image with corrected color temperature for whatever it's worth on a laptop monitor. At least you will get a better idea about its colors, I hope.

$DSCF3054.jpg

It's pretty! When you spray it, how fast does it absorb the water?

I dripped a big drop of water on the surface of the stone, not lapped, cleaned, or anything. After more than half an hour the drop looked exactly the same and I stopped the timer. It appears the drop would evaporate into the air rather than anything else. Hope this answers your question. If there is any other method to test this, that is within my abilities/means, I would gladly do that for you. I should still buy a plant sprayer, sorry.
$DSCF3056.jpg

That's one good sign that it might be hard. Spreading it a bit thinner might allow for more indication of it absorbing water, but that seems like a good start to me.

Alum of potash, I will send you a picture of the stone tomorrow. The Cerax came in a generic carton box, shrink wrapped together with its synthetic Nagura and , if I recall correctly , Japanese instructions.

The factory shrink wrap with a Nagura is probably further confirmation it is indeed a Cerax. The detailed German/English Cerax instructions also indicate serious attention to detail. So I don't have doubts about the stone.

The generic box doesn't mean much. I imagine retailers often make a deal with a factory to buy products at the lowest price point and have them shipped w/o original cartons etc. to their warehouse where the product will be packed in a simple box for shipment to customers.

Thanks. Looking forward to the picture. I'd like to compare the Japanese characters on the side to my 1k/3k Suehiro to see if they differ.

Thanks. Looking forward to the picture. I'd like to compare the Japanese characters on the side to my 1k/3k Suehiro to see if they differ.

Herewith the picture and - I am sorry - no Japanese characters. The grit size prints on the side faded a bit because of the water. I see on toolsfromjapan that there is a Cerax line and a 'New Cerax' line. If you want to go to the bottom of this I can simply ask the shop. I am also Interested.

$DSCF3057.jpg

Thanks, most curious. Here's a quick shot of my Suehiro 1k/3k, which I purchased off the US Amazon. Slight color shift. Actual color is more like yours as posted. I have another one in France which is pretty much the same. That one came in a blank white box from a German distributor, Herbertz.

$Suehiro 1k 3k 1 of 2.jpg

And another shot that shows the Japanese characters:

$Suehiro 1k 3k 2 of 2.jpg

Apart from the stronger stamping here, the two stones seem pretty similar as to coloring. The one I've got here measures 62mm x 182mm as to surface area.

The Serax and the Suehiro 1-3 K are the same stone I have it - it is very good The Jnat looks very good Congrats

If they are the same, it may have to do with copyright name--Cerax and Suehiro being interchangeable trade names for instance. The problem is that there is a "Cerax" and "New Cerax" line, as discussed on toolsfromjapan, that may be a bit harder wearing than the traditional Suehiro 1k/3k, the latter of which I think are the combo stones shown above. The traditional combo needs a soak of around 15 minutes in water. But a great stone it is, as you and I both know.

My stone measures approx. 182 X 62 mm . Dictum, where I bought the stone, makes a clear distinction between Cerax and Suehiro. Below quotes from the dictum.com website. I have the stone mentioned under 1).

1) Cerax as a brand of Suehiro: "Cerax is the best-known brand of the Suehiro company. The stones sold under this name have a medium-hard bond ..."

2) Suehiro standard/original: "Suehiro Standard Series: The stones from the original Suehiro series have a relatively soft bond ..."

What I can understand from this is that my stone is considered by some a Cerax and that it has a different bonding agent than other Suehiro stones for sale in that shop. I will drop dictum a line on Monday. I am not at all unhappy with my purchase. I just like to understand what is in a name.

Last edited:
FWIW, here's a link with a shot of a Cerax 1k: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tcblla24gy.html.

Out of curiosity, I did a general search for Cerax combination stone and came up with images that looked identical to the traditional Suehiro line. That the recommendation to soak is for 10 minutes makes me think that it is of the traditional type. The ceramic Cerax line is more splash and go from what I understand, sort of like Choseras.

Curious to know what Dictum says. It's a great site from what I can tell and I'm glad to know of it.

Top Bottom