What's new

Was saving money in your thoughts when you started

I have to admit, when I initially started checking out DE wet shaving, the thought of saving money was very appealing. Surely I am not the only one. From the Pawn Star MTO kit this has become a wonderful hobby, frustrating at times when the purpose for starting was to help save $ on a grad student budget with a family, but it sure is fun. The brotherhood on the forums are some amazing and encouraging gentlemen, and you cannot put a price on that.

I had my wife convinced I'd save money. Boy was I wrong. She let's me know that from time to time. But she prefers me shaven so it's a good thing.

No, although it would have been nice had it worked out that way. I was looking for a better shave than the cartridge razors provided and I certainly found that. The "hobby" aspect of it has turned out to be a welcome bonus.

A better shaving experience was the foremost goal for me when I started. However, saving money on shaving supplies was a secondary goal.

I am succeeding very well on the first goal. I have failed horribly on the second goal. If I were to try to calculate the amount I have spent on shaving in my entire life before starting the hobby and compare it to what I have spent on shaving since starting the hobby... Well, let's just say it would probably take multiple (and I mean multiple) years of zero shaving purchases before I could claim to have saved money.

I realize now that I was spending next to nothing on shaving before. I was a member of Dollar Shave Club getting the 4-blade carts every other month at $6 for a pack of 4, of which I still have 12 that are unused. Sure my cost per shave with regards to blade cost is much less, but I was spending next to nothing on the other parts of shaving. I used the Dr. Carver's shave gel, which is not very expensive and lasts quite a while, and the free cart handle. I also never used aftershave before starting wet shaving. So, the cost matrix has flipped... and then it exploded. I now pay next to nothing for blades, which was the expensive part of cart shaving, but pay much, much more for razors and software than I did before, which is the expensive part of wet shaving.

But at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter. The added cost is worth every penny. My shaves have improved and that pays unexpected dividends in improved self image and general happiness. It is amazing how much a simple thing, like a good shave, can have such a large positive impact on my day. I also include B&B in those dividends. This is a great community that is helping me make a great part of my day even better.

Last edited:
No not really as I was never into 4+ blade carts. Just reverted to what I had always used with the addition of learning to shave with a straight razor for S&Gs. Using a straight will really save you money, yea right. :lol:

Bob

Yeah, from getting down to my last 4-pack of Fusion carts and getting sticker shock from looking at the price of a 16-pack at Sam's (something around $50, or about 10¢ per shave). For around that price, I figured I could finally order that DE89 and a blade sampler, and squeeze in a brush and a stick of Arko.

That was about three months ago, and didn't take into account two vintage Gillette TTOs, the Osage Rub, alum block, or witch hazel and post-shave balm. But I actually look forward to shaving (dare I say it's fun now?) and my skin looks and feels a lot better.

Better shaves and not paying 8 bucks for 3 carts..... or $35+ for "a years worth of shaves"......
Of course, those 3 carts would last me about a year.. shaving 5 days a week.... they did get a bit rough after the first month or so.. :blushing:

I spent more on cans of Nivea gel than I did on the blades.. oh, and 2 AA batteries a year...

My wife asked the other day how much I've spent on averaged per month since I switched to DE last July. I changed the subject.

Yep, I was tired of spending so much on carts. My main reason for switching over to traditional wet shaving was to save some money. That backfired real fast...

Not really- I'd read too much on the forum to buy that- though it crossed my mind to explain it that way. My real goal was that I hated shaving! DE and the nostalgia and comfort elements gave me some hope that this part of my day might be more pleasant. And that I might be to my spouse if I was a bit less. . . scruffy?

I wanted to make shaving more fun (tolerable) and I thought variety might help. I was initially interested in aftershaves, but then I read about soaps and brushes and razors. I knew from the beginning that if I got into this shaving "hobby", the last thing I would end up doing is saving money. I was right.

lol... yeah... that's how it started.

Like other's have said I was down to my last fusion cart and didn't want to pay so much for new carts. I initially started searching for cheaper fusion carts and found my way to a few of the monthly subscription services. At that time shipping to Canada wasn't great so more searching lead me to DE razors. An amazon purchase of a 34C and a blade sampler was all it took.

Now I've spent more on shaving than I ever dreamed I would. But I do enjoy it and the shave is amazing!

imcndn

I had previously used an electric razor so I expected to spend a little more, but nowhere near what it ended up being. I got caught trying to find the perfect setup for me and sell the other equipment. One razor, brand of blades and brush with a couple soaps was going to be it. Then I wanted a razor for travel, then an adjustable, travel brush, nice boar brush, badger brush, best badger brush, injectors, etc. Meanwhile more soaps and cream were popping up in my expanding den. So much variety out there.

Oh, and I just remembered. I was interested in somehow getting a better lather result without all the propane in gels and foams. And the dryness. . . In searching around for shave creams I ran into this place and the rest is history written in dollar signs. . . And Dan Capshaw's brushes. . . Where is the money saving part again? Oh, yea. Blades. . . West Coast threw in some Gillette 7 O'clock blades on a TOBS order and then, well, I needed a razor. . . :sob:

The theory that you "can save money" was appealing, but mainly I was looking for a way to keep clean shaven for my SO without making my face completely miserable.

It was, though I realistically knew that with the initial razor investment it would take some time to break even. Of course, what I did not anticipate was any of the following:
- Creams and soaps may be cheap, but not compared to canned Barbasol at $2.00 and lasting a year.
- I would not be able to stop at one DE razor, not even after having used the Trac II handle exclusively for 35 years prior.
- Consumables - blades, soaps, creams, etc., would also beckon for variety.
- I would become more habitual with applying post-shave products.
- Attention to shaving would beget attention to other interesting personal care products.
- Interest in personal care products would result in renewed interest in stuff from far away, and eventually an overseas vacation.
- With respect to all the above and more, it would require creative shelving to fit all the stuff in the bathroom of a small rental.

I do not regret any part of the journey. The money spent has brought time well-spent. However, I have not saved money.

Last edited:
For me it was. I was tired of paying the high prices of cartridges and the cheap disposable razors were not that good. So far I haven't spent too much money on shaving equipment. Right now, I am concentrating on trying different blades to see which ones work for me. If one is careful, you can save money, but it can also lead to buying more razors!

Top Bottom