What's new

Recommend a good hygrometer for my humidor.

So I'm guessing that I will likely stock up on some more cigars in the next few months. I am going to need a hygrometer that can be calibrated. What are you cigar gurus using. Thanks!

Ronnie

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I'm using Caliber IV s in both of my humidors. Accurate and easy to calibrate.

Ordered just now with some Humidity beads going to put my coolador together while I wait. Thanks Micah

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Ordered just now with some Humidity beads going to put my coolador together while I wait. Thanks Micah

My pleasure Ronnie. Post some pics of the coolidor when you get it together!

I got a small, inexpensive humidor for my dozen cigars, prepped it per instructions (dampened inside w/distilled water once per day for two days), and put in the large disc humidifier. It's holding at around 65%. I heard that the hygrometers that come with these cheap humidors are way inaccurate, so maybe eventually I'll replace it. It's the circular kind that is on the outside. Any thoughts on replacements?

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited:
I got a small, inexpensive humidor for my dozen cigars, prepped it per instructions (insides dampened w/distilled water once per day for two days), and put in the large disc humidifier. It's holding at around 65%. I heard that the hygrometers that come with these cheap humidors are way inaccurate, so maybe eventually I'll replace it. It's the circular kind that is on the outside. Any thoughts on replacements?

Thanks,
Dave

I have a similar analog hygrometer that has velcro on the back to go inside a little desktop humidor I bought at a garage sale. Just for fun, I tossed the little cheap one in my new coolidor with my fancy new calibrated digital model. It seems to be dead on accurate, so there you go. Do a search on the salt test for your hygrometer. It's easy and you probably have everything you need in the kitchen.

So I did the salt test on my cheapo analog hygrometer and left it for 12 hours. Adjusted it t 75%. Did another salt test and left it in there for maybe 18 hours. Reads 75%, so I think I'm good to go.

How long will it stay accurate?

Dave

So I did the salt test on my cheapo analog hygrometer and left it for 12 hours. Adjusted it t 75%. Did another salt test and left it in there for maybe 18 hours. Reads 75%, so I think I'm good to go.

How long will it stay accurate?

Dave

Some people say (namely Boveda, because they want you to buy more of their calibration packets) say to calibrate every 6 months. I think that is a bit excessive. I would do it every 12 to 18 months. But that's just me.

Top Bottom