What's new

First Shave

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Well tomorrow will be my first SE shave with a Gem jr. 1912 st bar , on lend From polishaver (Jeff) Thanks again
any last minute advice from The smartest Shavers on Earth ? I know ,No Pressure and Find the angle .
Will I still have to do a 3 pass shave ? or should I skip against the grain?
I'm going to have to shave in a different room so My DEs don't see me cheating on them :w00t:

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I have heard that I will be selling all of my NEWs after the shave with the Gem:w00t:.
The open comb vs. st. bar, is it the same as with DEs?
And what is the difference with JRs and the other Gems? is it just the size ?

I have a Gem 1912, and can't decide if I want to use it or PIF it. Aren't they pretty aggressive? I have moderately sensitive skin.

I have a Gem 1912, and can't decide if I want to use it or PIF it. Aren't they pretty aggressive? I have moderately sensitive skin.

Well, put a blade in it and shave with it a few times. This will undoubtedly make your decision easier, one way or the other. :thumbup1:

The 1912 is generally considered to be middle-of-the-road in terms of aggression.

--Bob

I have heard that I will be selling all of my NEWs after the shave with the Gem:w00t:.
The open comb vs. st. bar, is it the same as with DEs?
And what is the difference with JRs and the other Gems? is it just the size ?

The open comb/safety bar distinction is a little blurred with SE's. The 1912 and many other SE's have what is technically a closed comb design, with individual teeth that are connected at the ends. However, the teeth curve away from the face before being connected, so the comb functions more like an open comb.

Most of the Gem 1912's (other than the Damaskeenes) were made in the 1920's. Gem re-introduced the 1912 in the 1930's, calling it the Gem Junior. It isn't any smaller than the earlier 1912's, but appears to be made more cheaply.

The Junior name was actually originally used by Gem in 1907 for the Junior and Junior Bar lather catcher razors, adding to the confusion.

Enjoy your shave! :thumbup:

--Bob

Top Bottom