What's new

Do I "Need" a Gillette Tech?

Ok, I know I don't need another razor but I'm thinking of picking up a Tech. At the moment I own a '62 Slim (my favorite) a '55 Super Speed, a Krona, a Muehle R 89 and a Merkur HD. I'm thinking a 50's model Tech with a ball end handle. How well does a Tech shave and is there anything I need to look for as far as years go? Thanks!

I would say get one. They can be had for cheap and are really nice mild shavers. I have a late 40s ball end and a prewar fat handle. Fat handled techs pre and post war have slightly different base plates.

Ok, I know I don't need another razor but I'm thinking of picking up a Tech. At the moment I own a '62 Slim (my favorite) a '55 Super Speed, a Krona, a Muehle R 89 and a Merkur HD. I'm thinking a 50's model Tech with a ball end handle. How well does a Tech shave and is there anything I need to look for as far as years go? Thanks!

Shoot me a PM when you have the chance - I have a few extra Techs lying around I wouldn't mind pif'ing one in your direction, if you'd like ;-)

I would give it away, but I found it among my fathers things after he passed. He didn't use it either, I had never seen it before. He, like me, preferred the OLD type.

Ah, it makes complete sense why you keep it then. None of my razors are heirlooms.

You need all of them.

I have 8 different Tech.

Fat handle, ball end, travel, etched, faceted, flat bottom, pre war, gold, Canadian, US, Brit...

They are cheap, easily available and reliable.

Like you, I have a DE89, 34C, a Slim, and a SuperSpeed. I also have a Progress, a Feather Popular, a Super-84, and a Super-109.

Then, I bought a British aluminum handle Tech at an antique store. Wow! I was blown away with what a smooth shave it gave. I have since bought 3 more Techs: a Late '40's Fat Handle, a late '40's/early '50's Ball End, and most recently a Delta Echo Razor Works late '40's Fat Handle.

The Techs are my favorites -- especially my two late '40's Fat Handles -- and most especially the Delta Echo Razor Works Fat Handle. They are all smooth-shaving. The Fat Handles are comfortable-to-hold, light-weight, and seemingly indestructible.

I highly recommend you get a Fat Handle Tech.

Top Bottom