What's new

Proraso white leaves a residue

So i tried the proraso white soap and the shave went great, but afterwards i noticed that my razor was covered with some cloudy white residue. it was relatively easy to get off, but i wondered if you guys have the same experience. and if you do how you solved it.

I think this is a common issue with the Proraso White. I have heard it mentioned several times on this forum. Not sure what the solution is though.

Yup same thing here. Not sure if there is a way to fix it. Just something that comes with using that soap.

Same issue with all the Proraso products I've used, but I clean my razor every 3/4 days so not really a problem.

I sniffed that junk in the pharmacy earlier this week and passed on it, terrible smell, cheap look. I'd prefer Williams over that any day. Glad to hear it also leaves a residue lol. I've got some tobs samplers coming this week, hope they don't do the same.

Scrub it with a toothbrush at blade change and you'll be fine. After each shave I wipe my ATT down with a towel and it comes right off. Only in the obscure nooks and crannies is there any residue and that's what I scrub out with tooth brush at blade change. Takes about 60 seconds.

Proraso Green and White are favorites of mine.

I stopped using Proraso because of this, it's a decent soap at a great price but the post shave feel was not the best, likely because of the residue.

I sniffed that junk in the pharmacy earlier this week and passed on it, terrible smell, cheap look. I'd prefer Williams over that any day. Glad to hear it also leaves a residue lol. I've got some tobs samplers coming this week, hope they don't do the same.
I noticed that you've left out if you've ever tried it. How do you know it's "junk" if you've never used it? It really is fabulous stuff and it's marketed extremely well. I understand that some have tried it and don't like it, like any other products out there. Don't knock it until you try it, because it's fabulous stuff.

It reminds me of how many people slam Grey Goose Vodka for instance, only because it's heavily marketed with tons of advertising. Yet they don't realize or they seemingly overlook the fact that it truly is an exceptional quality vodka, but the marketing of it all is what really turns them off to it. Unfortunately, I think the same can be said for Proraso. I believe that some wet-shavers feel that because Proraso isn't the "artisan" or "micro brew" of shaving soaps, that it's somehow not a good product and that's really a shame.

As far as the residue left behind, could it be the same stuff that makes it so slick on one's face, for a really smooth shave? I don't know exactly. But I do know that cleaning the residue off of the razor is so easy, that it's not even worthy of commenting on.

Last edited:
I've really only noticed the residue with white, but that might be just because it's worse. A lot of soaps leave small amounts of residue over time but Proraso white does it all at once. I assume it has to due with the supper fat oils.

Just got a tub of Red and noticed in my test lather the residue. I was looking to see if it was normal, when I found this thread. I was fine with it as something to quickly wipe off, until I saw the question of the brush. Yikes. It's been 2 years since this thread was started... Does it really damage, ruin, etc a brush?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

If residue on a brush is a concern then after a while clean your bush with a hot soak, then clean with shampoo (because boar and badger are hair) and a brush with a tooth brush gently from the base to the tips, then lather in your hand to agitate. Rinse, then use conditioner, let it sit for about 5 min...then rinse well....brush should be clean and supple and last longer since you treated the hair. Been doing it that way for a few years. Just be gentle with scrubbing.

If residue on a brush is a concern then after a while clean your bush with a hot soak, then clean with shampoo (because boar and badger are hair) and a brush with a tooth brush gently from the base to the tips, then lather in your hand to agitate. Rinse, then use conditioner, let it sit for about 5 min...then rinse well....brush should be clean and supple and last longer since you treated the hair. Been doing it that way for a few years. Just be gentle with scrubbing.
Have you found this a necessity with Prorasso soaps? I use all synthetic brushes, so the worry about hair care isn't there (wow, what a rhyme, lol).

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I used this morning for the first time in a while. I keep Proraso around for when I need to whip up a real quick lather.
All soaps leave soap scum for me, but Proraso is x10 the soap scum. I believe it’s also related water hardness. I used to use Proraso a lot and the scum would build up. It never did any damage to my brushes but it’s probably good to clean them up more often. I believe there’s a good guide on here.

Top Bottom