What's new

The natural progression of a shave addiction.

I've moved through the various grades of boar to one of Larry's High Mountain Badgers. ( I have a RR Plisoft) The last Boar I bought was a Semogue Owners Club and that brush bloomed well and became fairly soft but still had a bit of scratch (or scritch).
My Whipped Dog (Larry's too nice a guy to actually abuse puppies) gives me a very gentle scrub and lots of backbone in a 24mm knot. If $35 US$ delivered can buy that level of quality what can I expect from an HL Thater 2 band, a Simpson or a Shavemac.

Thater = softest knot you'll try

Simpsons = depends on the type of hair

Shavemac = depends on the type of hair, but their new Silvertip 2-Band might just be the best modern hair/knots, at the present time, if you like extremely soft tips with good backbone.

Thater = softest knot you'll try

Simpsons = depends on the type of hair

Shavemac = depends on the type of hair, but their new Silvertip 2-Band might just be the best modern hair/knots, at the present time, if you like extremely soft tips with good backbone.

+1. I can not speak about Simpsons but agree with Celestino about Thaters and Shavemacs. Having tried a WD HMW, Thater 2 and 3 band, Shavemac 2 and 3 Band; I can assure you a WD HMW is not in the same league. They are denser, softer knots. They are hand tied beautifully to have a near perfect shape.

+1. I can not speak about Simpsons but agree with Celestino about Thaters and Shavemacs. Having tried a WD HMW, Thater 2 and 3 band, Shavemac 2 and 3 Band; I can assure you a WD HMW is not in the same league. They are denser, softer knots. They are hand tied beautifully to have a near perfect shape.
At this time the only comparison for a baqdger I have is the Whipped Dog high mountain and I do know that I like the feel of the badger better than the boar. As we all know, we can't stop by the local shave shop and check out the various product so we have to depend on comparison. The posts I've read on B&B have been very helpful, it is fairly easy to see that most opinions are very well qualified.

After extensive reading I'm getting a strong message about the superiority of the Shavemac and Thater knots. I face lather predominantly so I'm assuming that the Thater 2 band would fit the bill, what would the shavemac equivalent be in your opinion. Is the Simpson in the same league in it's present incarnation?

At this time the only comparison for a badger I have is the Whipped Dog high mountain and I do know that I like the feel of the badger better than the boar. As we all know, we can't stop by the local shave shop and check out the various product so we have to depend on comparison. The posts I've read on B&B have been very helpful, it is fairly easy to see that most opinions are very well qualified.

After extensive reading I'm getting a strong message about the superiority of the Shavemac and Thater knots. I face lather predominantly so I'm assuming that the Thater 2 band would fit the bill, what would the shavemac equivalent be in your opinion. Is the Simpson in the same league in it's present incarnation?

To each his own, but I have a hard time justifying paying more for a brush when my $9 Omega '49 boar gives me great lather. I also have two $25-$30 Omega B&B Essential boars, which I bought just because they benefit the forum. I use the red Essential daily, and the '49 is my travel brush.

At this time the only comparison for a badger I have is the Whipped Dog high mountain and I do know that I like the feel of the badger better than the boar. As we all know, we can't stop by the local shave shop and check out the various product so we have to depend on comparison. The posts I've read on B&B have been very helpful, it is fairly easy to see that most opinions are very well qualified.

I can not comment on Simpson brushes as I have never used one. The Thater 2 band and Shavemac 2 band are very similar. Very difficult to tell them apart. Maybe the Shavemac is a little softer, but that's just me. I personally wouldn't be surprised if they both sourced their knots from the same place. Shavemac gets a lot of recognition because they allow you to customize your brush. You can choose handle type, color, knot, loft, etc...Whereas Thater you can only buy the brushes they offer.

To each his own, but I have a hard time justifying paying more for a brush when my $9 Omega '49 boar gives me great lather. I also have two $25-$30 Omega B&B Essential boars, which I bought just because they benefit the forum. I use the red Essential daily, and the '49 is my travel brush.

Very true. You only need a cheap boar brush. I actually like boar brushes and they are very inexpensive. However I do enjoy a nice badger brush as well. If I was just shaving, a boar or synthetic for $15 would be more than sufficient. I consider this a hobby and therefore do not mind buying a more expensive badger brush. That being said, I've never spend more than $200 on a brush. That's a little hard for me to swallow. Thaters and Shavemacs are very high quality and in my price range.

It's a progression as I stated, I'm 71, when i first started wet shaving all I had time for was to lather my face with my hands and bar soap and shave with my issue razor. I was young enuff that one pass sufficed. My shaving brush was used to blanco my web gear anyway, so my hand was the next best thing. A boar brush was just fine for a lot of years, I agree that it's not a necessity but now I want something better.
The sad truth is any money left over when I croak will get spent by some one who didn't earn it :w00t:

It's a progression as I stated, I'm 71, when i first started wet shaving all I had time for was to lather my face with my hands and bar soap and shave with my issue razor. I was young enuff that one pass sufficed. My shaving brush was used to blanco my web gear anyway, so my hand was the next best thing. A boar brush was just fine for a lot of years, I agree that it's not a necessity but now I want something better.
The sad truth is any money left over when I croak will get spent by some one who didn't earn it :w00t:

Enjoy whichever brush you choose. :001_smile

I have read that the Thater Silvertip has almost the same backbone as the 2 band and will be fine for face lathering. I've also read that the Shavemac silvertip is too soft for face lathering. I guess if one reads enough, they'll find every possible variation of the facts but I'm getting some really good feedback. I live in Canada and pricing locally for the Thater (26mm 2 band) is considerably less than the shavemac shipped from Germany. The supplier is a well respected one.

I do know that the cost for better is not linear.

I would recommend the Shavemac 2-band silvertip. Great brush for face lathering. Plenty of backbone and soft tips. You may consider contacting Rudy Vey. He makes custom brushes and frequently uses Shavemac knots. Good luck!

-Mark

I have read that the Thater Silvertip has almost the same backbone as the 2 band and will be fine for face lathering. I've also read that the Shavemac silvertip is too soft for face lathering. I guess if one reads enough, they'll find every possible variation of the facts but I'm getting some really good feedback. I live in Canada and pricing locally for the Thater (26mm 2 band) is considerably less than the shavemac shipped from Germany. The supplier is a well respected one.

I do know that the cost for better is not linear.

I have the 28mm and its awesome. You won't regret it. The silvertip does have less backbone and is a little softer. But not by much.

Yes, 2 band silvertip. The post above was about the 3 band silvertip which I no longer have. I kick myself in the rear for letting that one go. I usually use soaps, but should have kept the 3 band for the rare occasion I use a cream.

Last edited:
Disclosure: Big Simpson fan here.

If you face lather exclusively then the Simpson Berkeley is a superb brush, and one of my favourites.

I would also rate the Duke 3 right up there with the Berkeley. It's a bigger and bolder brush and perhaps a little more versatile if you find yourself using a bowl or scuttle... and if you like a nice faceful of badger :)

Top Bottom