What's new

Brush comparison Whipped Dog Silvertip vs. High Mountain

I know this thread is old but I'm just wondering if you have any more insight between the ST and HM. I'm looking to order a 24mm knot probably set at the same loft as you. For reference I love my Semogue 620 and 610 boar brushes and I only face lather, looking to try out a badger.

I would recommend the 24mm with a lower loft (I had mine set at 48 mm).

I would recommend the HM with the original high loft.

My HM (48mm loft) was to pointy and had way too much backbone for me, but I suspect with a higher loft it is a great brush.

My ST was very luxurious and had zero scritch, with just a tiny hint of scrub. I did not find it floppy, but it was definitely not a brush with a strong back bone.

Both could lather my arsenal of soaps (Mike's, Stirling, B&M, Haslinger,...) without any problems and produce mountains for great lather.

I hope I could help

I would recommend the 24mm with a lower loft (I had mine set at 48 mm).

My HM (48mm loft) was to pointy and had way too much backbone for me, but I suspect with a higher loft it is a great brush.

My ST was very luxurious and had zero scritch, with just a tiny hint of scrub. I did not find it floppy, but it was definitely not a brush with a strong back bone.

Both could lather my arsenal of soaps (Mike's, Stirling, B&M, Haslinger,...) without any problems and produce mountains for great lather.

I hope I could help

Sounds like you don't own or use either brush any longer. What do you have now? I'm also considering getting a boar from Larry, but very few people seem to have tried them.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think this means the loft would be 57mm. Would this not be too floppy? I've never owned a HM or fine grade, so I'm not too sure how it would hold-up to loading soaps and face lathering.

Does anyone have the 24mm HM set at the original loft ? What are your thoughts regarding its shape, floppiness, backbone? Any pics of the 24mm HM set at the original loft would be great.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think this means the loft would be 57mm. Would this not be too floppy? I've never owned a HM or fine grade, so I'm not too sure how it would hold-up to loading soaps and face lathering.

Does anyone have the 24mm HM set at the original loft ? What are your thoughts regarding its shape, floppiness, backbone? Any pics of the 24mm HM set at the original loft would be great.

The recommendation to get the HM with original loft is a good one. I have the HM with original loft but a knot size of 30mm. It gives me the right combination of backbone and softness for face lathering. Certainly not floppy at all. I would expect the 24mm version at original loft would be perfect as well.

Sounds like you don't own or use either brush any longer. What do you have now? I'm also considering getting a boar from Larry, but very few people seem to have tried them.
I have 2 Paladins now, an Epsilon 2-band in the post and a Chubby 1 in Super on loan...what can I say :blushing:

Never tried a WD boar, but kept my WD synth in my stable.

My HM had an extreme bulb shape (pointy) and very strong hair - hence my recommendation to go for a high loft...

My HM had an extreme bulb shape (pointy) and very strong hair - hence my recommendation to go for a high loft...

I agree. The hair is very strong. Standard loft is the better choice for WD HM.

I had mine lowered 5mm to 52mm. I regret not buying it at the higher loft. At the lower loft, it cannot splay. I don't mean it is difficult. I mean it cannot. Also, it is finicky about whether or not it will release lather. The standard loft would have given me better flow-through and a reasonable splay.

Here's couple of not so great cell phone pics.

$IMG_7002.jpg$IMG_7003.jpg

Interesting posts and some great input.

@Neffarious: Do you have the 24mm HM set at the standard 57mm loft? Is it so floppy in that it is difficult to splay?

Based on everyone's feedback, I'm getting the impression that the HM might be too stiff to splay at 52mm or less, but it might be too floppy if set at 57mm. Maybe its just another case of YMMV.

Has anyone used the HM set at standard loft where it splays easily enough for face lathering?

I have a theory that Larry's earlier High Mountain knots have thicker shafted hair and loads of backbone. I'm guessing that from the comments that some people have been making that their High Mountain knots are softer than Silvertips. The early ones certainly were not, but the face feel is still quite smooth and nice.

I think the best/easiest way to overcome your problem is to Email Larry and ask him. He knows, what batch he has, how the knots behave and what loft to go for...

When I ordered my HM from him he actually recommended a higher loft - I was still living in my boar world back then and didn't listen...today I know.

Top Bottom