What's new

Raw denim - Never washing? I want to find out the truth for myself

What does crock mean in this case?

It's when the indigo dye falls out of or rubs off of the cloth.

Denim Crocking
proxy.php

Sick Fadz Brah For reference
proxy.php

Dry clean them to keep the color? Back before I wore suits 8 days a week I had some Armani jeans that I only dry cleaned. BTW, they were less than half the $300 you all are talking.

Dry clean them to keep the color? Back before I wore suits 8 days a week I had some Armani jeans that I only dry cleaned. BTW, they were less than half the $300 you all are talking.

Dry cleaning is pretty terrible for clothing. Better off sticking them in the freezer if he's trying to avoid washing them. Me, I just wash them when they need it (not very often).

Really the point of not washing them a lot is that the more you wash them, the more evenly the indigo dying rubs off. Going larger amounts of time between washes allows the dyes to rub off on a natural wear pattern.

So dry cleaning defeats the purpose. The jeans will rub and fade, you just want it to happen over a long period of time. In order to have a pair of perfect crisp dark jeans, you will just need to maintain a newer pair in your mix.

I've only got a few pair of Selvedge denim, nothing really expensive though. The most I spent was $90 ish. A pair of Uniglo, Gustin 1968, and Gap 1969. Haven't washed any of them in 8 months. Just Fabreeze and Lysol treatments. I do work in an office setting so not much dirt, grime and sweat happens. My Gap ones say dry clean only on the tag, figured if any of them get really nasty that is what I would do.

I guess I don't understand the allure of such things. The white leather seats in my 750 would be destroyed. My couch at home would be destroyed. My office chair would be destroyed. Any white shoes or shirts I wore would be destroyed. I can't use them in the rain, I cant use them in the dirt, I cant use them anywhere I might offend my friends by leaving dye on their couch/seats/car/etc.

I do recall years ago a friends wife had these types of jeans in her white leather Range Rover and she had to drive around with a white leather seat protector so she didn't destroy the Rovers leather. At the time I though it was an odd thing but now I am seeing that this is a real fashion trend. This has been going on for years and years and I had no idea it was so popular! In guess I will have to pick up a pair and use them for date night in the restaurant or movie theater. My wife does like jeans on me :thumbup:

The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.

Man! It was sweaters or leather jackets, and jeans year round when I lived in Central Cal. At least in the early morning and evening.

Ventura was like that. Benicia...not so much.

It's a mix whether they tell you if they are raw. What theory are you testing? Eventually you're going to want to wash them. It was my understanding that the only reason denimheads avoid washing them is so that they don't wash out the dye too early and prevent them from getting the "sick fadz brah". Additionally, you can buy non raw denim that will still stretch or drop dye. Uniqlo has some selvedge that crocks like a farmer dropping seed. My gustins do not particularly crock as a reference. Love my gustins.

If you'd like Levi's, look for any selvedge made in cone mills. I believe they supply Levi's selvedge denim.

My guess is that he wants Levi's for the fit, not the material, since he is asking about jeans that are out of the norm for Levi's and, certainly, for Wrangler. Your advice about cone mills is spot-on, whatever the brand.

Initially I was kind of grossed out reading about these dirty jeans. But then I remember, ages ago I used to wear these things called "suits," which were not washed after each use.

I remember as a kid buying jeans a size bigger because they would shrink. Very high dollar stuff for an unfinished product. You have to love the nostalgia of Americans and the ingenuity.

When buying prefaded and torn jeans became the craze, my friends and I used to comment on how a pair of jeans was meant to be worn into that look. If I had only known it would have become a huge business.

I have broken in a few pairs of Gap raw denim, and I think they are a great value. Look for "Japanese Selvedge" in the "raw" color. Gap brick & mortar stores often have a very limited selection of the raw selvedge denim, so it's best to shop online. These are their most expensive jeans at $108, but I would never pay full price. Gap has frequent sales, and you can easily pick up a pair in the $60 price range.

One could spend a lot of time researching all the raw selvedge denim choices that are out there, and the high end realm is staggering. Regarding the denim - if it's made in the USA, it's most likely from Cone Mills. Some of the best raw denim, however, comes from Japanese mills.

Sanforized vs unsanforized is an important distinction and will affect how the jeans break in and how they shrink when washed. I have seen both types (sanforized and unsanforized) called "raw denim," so make sure to know which you are getting.

One last comment regarding sizing. Raw denim will stretch and expand with wear. Even after you wash it. Jeans that might seem a little snug can become pretty roomy with some wear. So talk to a knowledgable sales rep about your jeans, and consider what they recommend.

Oh, and I have been wearing a pair of Baldwins for the past 6 months almost daily. I have yet to wash them, but don't feel, look, or smell dirty in the least.

Not raw denim, but I picked up a pair of extreme flex denim. I feel like I should go for a run in them they are so comfy/flexible.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I followed some of the links, too bad they only come in boys sizes and not in men sizes:lol:

Top Bottom