What's new

May 2016 Acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new to me, still New Old Stock Condition, Q1, 1946 Parker Vacumatic has just come back from Pendleton Brown. The nib is original. The extra-fine nib writes very nicely and lays down a balanced, wet line. The nib gives just a bit of feedback and is a comfortable writer.

My guess is the original owner used it once, found the nib to be absolutely terrible, and put it in a drawer. There is no evidence of any usage. No scratches, marring, etc... The nib was pristine except for its alignment. The barrel is completely transparent. I lucked out with this one. I'll buy from Rick Krantz again. The pen was everything he said and he did a fine restoration job.

$DSCN1512 - 1946 Parker Vac.jpg

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
My new to me, still New Old Stock Condition, Q1, 1946 Parker Vacumatic has just come back from Pendleton Brown. The nib is original. The extra-fine nib writes very nicely and lays down a balanced, wet line. The nib gives just a bit of feedback and is a comfortable writer.

My guess is the original owner used it once, found the nib to be absolutely terrible, and put it in a drawer. There is no evidence of any usage. No scratches, marring, etc... The nib was pristine except for its alignment. The barrel is completely transparent. I lucked out with this one. I'll buy from Rick Krantz again. The pen was everything he said and he did a fine restoration job.

View attachment 658411

Nice!

Legion

Staff member
Nothing fancy, but I bought my first Rhodia notebook. I like Clairfontaine books, but this Rhodia has perforated pages, which I can use and tear out for grocery lists, and so on. Works really well with my nice, fine nibbed home pen and ink.

$yhst-40997485717836_2271_117282482.jpg

What side Rhodia did you get, David? I find my larger tablet doesn't tear very cleanly along the perforation because it is recessed under the folds of the cover. My smaller Rhodia tablets don't have this issue at all, but I rarely use them as that size notebook's needs are met by different companies.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Got this "most stylish" Jinhao 886 for grins to see what a sub-$2 pen (delivered!) is like. I'll leave it on my desk at work and see if it disappears. :tongue_sm I'm still a little gun-shy of cheapo pens, I hope it doesn't ruin a good dress shirt.

Looks pretty good so far although I haven't tried it yet. The threads are a bit rough but what the heck? Smooth tipped medium nib, thread-on cap, pretty color.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141686246987

[MENTION=21099]nemo[/MENTION], does that say 18 k on the nib? That's an amazing price at $2.00 shipped:001_rolle

In all honesty, I kinda found myself in the same boat as you around the beginning of the year...I was curious about the Hero 616. I got 3 of them for 4 or 5 bucks shipped. They are extra fine (which isn't my cup of tea) but perform supprisingly well for costing less than many disposable pens.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
18K GP (gold plate) but it isn't gold, go figure. It's a nice nib for the price alone, heck the converter is worth a buck or two.
@nemo, does that say 18 k on the nib? That's an amazing price at $2.00 shipped:001_rolle
...I was curious about the Hero 616. I got 3 of them for 4 or 5 bucks shipped.

Hero 616 isn't my cup of tea, I can't even give them away as I've found they're pretty awful (in my experience).

But how low can we go .... under a buck to your door? It's a challenge I'm going to try!! Last week I ordered another from Hong Kong ... a Safari clone! $1.38 shipped.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141725651821

Ha! I'll let you guys know how it works out ...
$s-l1600.jpg

I can't even give them away as I've found they're pretty awful (in my experience).
To be honest, I think what I got was Hero 616 knock offs.

Go figure, a knock off of a knock off.

When I was contemplating my purchase, I did a little Google research and found out about how not all 616's are created equal/the knock off situation. That research led me to believe the knock offs are better writers than the real thing...

Anyways, the ones I got weren't Pelikan smooth, but I've encountered much worse writers that cost alot more.

Heck, does any one want one....I'll send it to you. It will probably cost me more to ship it to you than it cost me, but if you promise to tell us what you think I'll send you one CONUS only....pm me.

View attachment 658411

Glad your fine pen in your hands Bob where it will be appreciated!

18K GP (gold plate) but it isn't gold, go figure. It's a nice nib for the price alone, heck the converter is worth a buck or two.

Hero 616 isn't my cup of tea, I can't even give them away as I've found they're pretty awful (in my experience).

But how low can we go .... under a buck to your door? It's a challenge I'm going to try!! Last week I ordered another from Hong Kong ... a Safari clone! $1.38 shipped.

View attachment 660979

It`ll be interesting to hear how this pen works out for you Doug. I`ve got pen and stationary shops selling Chinese pens and I should hit some of them for fun. From my experience with Chinese pens they have improved a lot from 80-90`s but it`s still a hit and miss thing. Thankfully I can hand inspect them and cherry pick them in person but still that`s no guarantee they`ll be fine writers!

Legion

Staff member

View attachment 660979

I'll raise you. How about eight of them in my mailbox tonight?

$IMG_0403.jpg

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member

View attachment 660979

Can the nib be replaced with a Lamy nib?

Had my first foray into the nib delivered yesterday (from gouletpens.com)
- 2 Pilot Metropolitans: Retro Pop Gray Fine and Zig-zag Medium
- Noodler's Liberty's Elysium
- Noodler's Heart of Darkness (that came with a Noodler's Charlie pen)
- Apica 6a-10 notebook
- Pilot con-50 converter (just to try something different than what comes in the pilot regularly

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Had my first foray into the nib delivered yesterday (from gouletpens.com)
- 2 Pilot Metropolitans: Retro Pop Gray Fine and Zig-zag Medium
- Noodler's Liberty's Elysium
- Noodler's Heart of Darkness (that came with a Noodler's Charlie pen)
- Apica 6a-10 notebook
- Pilot con-50 converter (just to try something different than what comes in the pilot regularly

Welcome to The Nib! Congrats, on the new gear! :thumbup:

2 purchases this month (I need to take pics)-

1) Delta Unica off of the 'bay - someone was selling their Unica in orange celluloid. The section is stained (I figure that that goes with the celluloid for this particular pen), and the nib is large for me (medium; I would have preferred fine), but I can always have the nib reground. I really like Unicas . . . still looking for the red limited edition one. Or theDelta Pagoda pens in red off of the 'bay.

2) Parker Urban in Mandarin yellow, nib reground a la Pendleton Brown to an EF stub italic. Still getting used to it . . . beautiful pen, section feels a little weird with the taper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom