What's new

Have you settled on what works and doesn't work for you?

Just curious how many people have found their go-to shaving stuff. It seems many people here are on a constant improvement quest. :biggrin1:

For myself:
I love face lathering. I get a much better result than from a bowl.
Related to that, the right brush really helps. I just got a Maggard sythetic, and it's amazing.
I still haven't found the perfect DE razor. My Van der Hagen is a bit too mild. My Cadet open comb is good, but gives me razor burn. The Cadet safety bar doesn't cut as close, is better than the VdH, but still leaves a bit of a burn.
I like shaving sticks a lot. Creams aren't bad, either. I haven't tried a puck.
Van der Hagen blades are junk.
Astra Superior Platinum blades have been great in all three razors I've used them in.
I tried Thayers witch hazel. It's ok, but I think I prefer Old Spice. In fact, I've yet to find an aftershave that works better than Old Spice for me. (I've tried Brut, Skin Bracer, and a few dollar store generics).

It will never be found. I've wet shaved daily since 1951 and hardly a month goes by when I don't learn something new.
good point. I'm going back to try a razor I bought a year ago and didn't have much success with after reading more posts on B&B about how to get a better shave with it.

It will never be found. I've wet shaved daily since 1951 and hardly a month goes by when I don't learn something new.

True, but have you settled on any certain aspects that just work the best for you? Like, do you only lather in a bowl, use open combs, etc?

I like variety and changing things up. So, rather than look for a go-to set of equipment, I am looking for things that I want to keep in a rotation. I now have a ton (around 35) DE razors as well as a few SE and Injector razors. I have a backlog of soaps to try and a few creams to boot, with more to eventually try. I have multiple brushes. I have several brands of blade that I still need to try. I want to pick up a G20 scuttle. I also have a shipment of aftershaves on the way from Italian Barber.

At some point I will probably stop experimenting and settle on a handful of soaps/creams, a few favorite razors, a couple of brushes, a small selection of blades, a favorite lather bowl, and a few aftershaves to all be used in rotation and restocked as they are used up. However, for now I am exploring as many of my options as I can. I don't think I will ever have a single set of go-to gear. There is too much wonderful stuff out there to enjoy. Variety is the spice of life.

Last edited:
The one thing I have absolutely settled on is face lathering. And hot water shaving. So that's two things.

Beyond that, there are so many combinations of razor, blade, brush and cream that all work really well for me, and I don't want to settle for one - I derive more pleasure from mixing it up and don't feel under any pressure to find THE perfect setup - even if such a thing exists.

Just had my best shave yet, noobie
Parker 97r
Palmolive shave cream
E bay brush
Fine clean vetiver aftershave
Nivea aftershave balm
Time.

Method
Soak brush in hot water.
Hot shower
Whip up a good lather in bowl
Brush into face for a couple of minutes
Shave with grain applying no pressure the 97r is a heavy razor so use its weight, in short passes, i almost rub the razor up and down spinning the head round to other blade every 3 or 4 "rubs" and plenty of rinses (shake off excess water)
I do two shaves with the grain the last is against on cheeks and across on neck ( i leak everywhere if i go atg on neck)
Cold rinse
Apply fine aftershave
Let menthol do its thing whilst i clean brush and razor ( live in hard water area soap scum is a bugger)
Once menthol heat dies back apply small amount of nivea asb
Done.

The one thing I have absolutely settled on is face lathering. And hot water shaving. So that's two things.

Beyond that, there are so many combinations of razor, blade, brush and cream that all work really well for me, and I don't want to settle for one - I derive more pleasure from mixing it up and don't feel under any pressure to find THE perfect setup - even if such a thing exists.

For me the only constant is bowl lathering with warm-to-hot water right after my shower in the morning. Although I will probably give cold water shaving a try during the summer months.

I wouldn't say settled, but I have learned a few things.
1. Aggressive razors cause me too much irritation
2. Splashes work best for me in summer, balms in winter, either in fall and spring
3. Personna blades work the best for me
4. My hand tends to reach for a vintage razor nearly every morning.

I don't think I will ever settle on 1 or 2 razors, and I kind of hope I never do having to much fun trying all the vintage DE and SE razors I can find. I do certainly have favorites though. I usually prefer short handled, heavy, and fairly aggressive.

good point. I'm going back to try a razor I bought a year ago and didn't have much success with after reading more posts on B&B about how to get a better shave with it.
I just did this with my MMOC and it was so much better than I remembered. My memories were that had gotten a taste for human blood and needed to get more. Now it seems as harmless as a pussycat as long as I give it a little respect.

Yes, as much as you can I guess. I am really considering just staying with this:

Merkur 34C
Face lathering always. I could never understand bowl lathering, why not work it up on your face where it counts.
Omega Pro 49 boar brush
Arko, Williams, VanDerHagen-Like um all.
Derby Extra blades (Wilkinson / Feathers #2 & 3) I get along well with most blades
Skin Bracer or Aqua Velva AS

I can be happy with this setup for the rest of my days. Very dependable results.

I have learned that I prefer hot water shaving, shaving before showering, and slick shaving soaps.

I prefer SE to DE razors, but I have been using my DEs more lately as a change-of-pace. I used my SEs exclusively for the past year.

I prefer mild to medium aggressive razors. Open combs do NOT work for me. Some aggressive razors work very well for me like my Clog Pruf and GEM 1924, others are not at all pleasant.

Listening to the razor do its job helps to get a good shave.

Blade quality is very important for my face. Sharp is always good, but smooth is best. I'm not a fan of Feather blades because they are not smooth to me. Lab Blues, Astra SPs, and GSBs are great for me, as are the PTFE-coated GEM SS SE blades.

I like using cold water because I have terrible skin and it causes a lot less irritation. Also like face lathering.

I have found that I agree with most blades. I really like my merkur 34C and my Parker shavette.
I'm a big fan of Stirling soaps pushed into a stick as well as his AS. Recently gave MW another shot and may order some sticks after sabbatical is over.
I may look at an OC or an adjustable at some point, but I have been getting really great shaves for the last year and I'm finding that FOMO is losing its grasp on me.

Face lathering just does not agree with me feel awkward, and I suck at. Love my bowl lather though.
Leaning towards being a vintage man. Haven't settled for sure, but am loving my 63 super speed, just got to dial in the right blade, but I'm getting closer.

No. I haven't been able to get the level of closeness I desire yet, so I'm still working on it.

Some things that appear to work better:
Face lathering when using soap
Polsilver blades
Using Prorasso Pre Shave oil prior to showering (Shave is post shower)

I've only used 1 DE so far, a Merkur 34C. I'm going to try a different razor, and perhaps a shavette or straight.

Lots of things work for me, but that doesn't stop me from trying something new. Everytime I find my favorite, it's only my favorite until I find another favorite.

I've definitely settled on:

Hot Water. I shave with cold water only when I have to and don't enjoy it.
DE Razors. Straights look cool but are more trouble than they're worth.
Daily Razor Rotation. With 20 in the stable, I have to keep them all happy.
Fresh Blade Daily. No shave counting for me.
Handmade Stone or Resin Brushes. I like the art, weight and heft of these bad boys.
Bowl Lathering. Just more enjoyable than face lathering.
Quality Pre-Shave Oils. So much better for my skin.
Creams. Easier to lather than soaps.
Balms. Only when I've nicked myself, which isn't very often.
Aftershave Splashes. Dig the burn!
Colognes. So many, many aromas to try.

The above is what I've dialed in for every shave because it works for me.

Last edited:
So far on this never ending journey I have found some things that definately Dont work and many many things that do work. But I will always be looking for the end all be all.

Took me 6 - 12 months to settle on my favorites, which vary little. I have four blade types, and four soapmakers I favor, two razors, two boar brushes. Keeping it simple.

Top Bottom