What's new

Honing custom razors

Question: does one hone customs with what ever one prefers or is it best to try to use the same methods and equipment as the maker?

I think the only real variable that matters is whether or not the maker honed the razor with tape. Most do.

Most custom makers use a layer of tape, aside from that hone aways with your preferred method and enjoy

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
It's your razor. Do it like you feel it.

But if you go from taped to untaped honing, you will be setting the bevel from scratch.

FWIW I never use tape unless it is made necessary by the geometry of the razor, and I would never buy a brand new hollowground razor that requires taped honing. (That comes about from trying to make too big a razor from too thin a piece of steel.)

Thanks guy...will get organized and give it a go...just didn't want to create a problem more than a beginner probably will in the first place...lol.

I'd hone it the same way I do every other razor. If i was keeping it forever (not get tired of it and sell it off), i'd go no tape. I also personally wouldn't get anything in damascus as honing it without tape would mess up the forced finish to highlight the different metals in the damascus.

Top Bottom