What's new

Looking for a good bay rum soap

Bayolea is actually a brushless cream (stated on their website) and it's really expensive for a brushless IMO, but if you don't mind paying a premium for a good brushless it can be a winner.

True, altho my reference is to the hard soap, which is totally lathering for brush!!

$penhaligon bayolea simpson emperor schulze saturday april 23 2016p.jpg

I am a fan of Long Rifle Soap Company's Bay Rhum and use it on a regular basis. Subtle scent with excellent tallow based performance.

Personally I'm a big fan of Mystic Water Bay Rum paired with one of the Captain's Choice Aftershaves. As always, YMMV.

Anyone try WSP Wet Shaving Products -Formula T (Tallow) Bay Rum? Their Gaelic Tweed has had good reviews from a member I trust, so was wondering about this and the Dr. Jon offerings (Anne Bonney for Bay Rum & Hydra for citrus).

Sent via Tapatalk from phone

I've tried and currently use the WSP Formula T in Bay Rum, and I really like it. I'm new at this safety razor shaving but that stuff lathered up easy and was really slick. Smell was great as well, sweet with just the right amount of rum and spiciness to it. I also recommend their Bay Rum aftershave.

I've tried and currently use the WSP Formula T in Bay Rum, and I really like it. I'm new at this safety razor shaving but that stuff lathered up easy and was really slick. Smell was great as well, sweet with just the right amount of rum and spiciness to it. I also recommend their Bay Rum aftershave.
Thank you very much D-Wade! I appreciate the reply and the recommendation that it is good stuff.

Sent via Tapatalk from phone

Captains Choice is one of the best bay rum scents I have come across. North is my favorite, followed closely by Lime. The performance of the soap is wonderful, the scents can be subjective, but i love some of their scents.

I have two bay rums, and after trying each a number of times, I've determined that I'm not a huge bay rum fan. I don't dislike them, but I don't reach for them much, either. They are:

1. Mike's Natural Bay Rum - a strong and spicy bay rum.
  2. Stirling's Bay Lime - a different take with a bit of lime undertone to it. More bay rum than lime.
Both soaps make for a great shave, like all Mike's and Stirling soaps. But, like I said, I can take or leave bay rum.

Although, I'm curious about CRSW Bergamot & Bay...

Last edited:
Ahh, ok but my understanding is their soap is very similar to GFT and T&H in lathering. I would pass of that's the case.

I can't speak from experience, but it's my understanding that the current Penhaligon's soaps are top notch. I think they reformulated a few years back and stopped using tallow. The reformulated version was apparently terrible. A second reformulation a few years later supposedly resulted in a much better soap, which is what we currently have.

I can't speak from experience, but it's my understanding that the current Penhaligon's soaps are top notch. I think they reformulated a few years back and stopped using tallow. The reformulated version was apparently terrible. A second reformulation a few years later supposedly resulted in a much better soap, which is what we currently have.
That's good news, sounds like C&E, their first two reformulations were horrible but the one they recently produce is very good. I bought all three flavours after trying the Sandalwood and really liking what I saw. I might give Pen's new soap formula a try.

I first tired Col Conk's Bay Rum and liked the scent, performance was meh so I got Captain's Choice which performs amazingly but I am not a fan of the scent, it's very spicy, my wife described it as "what Michaels craft store smells like at Christmas time". So now I am hesitant to order another bay rum soap, maybe I don't actually like BR.

It's the only one I've used, but I really love the smell and performance of Captain's Choice Bay Rum. I've got the balm too and the smell is great for that as well. One caveat, SWMBO isn't a huge fan of it, she doesn't dislike it, but it's not her favorite...

Another vote for Mike's. It's a really organic rendition of bay rum. Lots of bay leaf and spice. In my opinion, it's true to form of what bay rum should be.

Ok, of the three I bought so far, I love Green Mountain and Captain's Choice. Straight Razor Designs.... smells great but I really have to fight to get a decent lather out of it.

I'll have to try some of the other suggestions (Barrister and Mann's, Stirling, Mike's, etc) later on because I'm already in trouble with the wife for buying what I have so far. 😁

Top Bottom