What's new

Saponificio Varesino 4.2 vs 4.0 vs 4.1

This ^^^^^
THey are using beta just because they are in constant development and upgrade not because like in IT world terminology.
Probably the best soaps in the world IMO.

Definitely in my top 3 soaps and could move up but Valbora and Klar Seinfen are hard soaps to knock off.

They're probably the best shave soaps I've ever used--and as of yesterday (PC Nuavia), I'm pretty sure I've used them all. :)

Of what I would consider luxury soaps and creams I have: SV, Valbora, Klar Seinfen, Xpec, MdC and Nuavia Rosa. I still need to Nuavia Rosa but I don't think it will beat SV for all around performance and let's face it, Xpec doesn't look like a $70 soap at all and smells like Tabac or Arko but it does perform well.

^ This 100%.

I am a HUGE S&V fan. I love everything of theirs that I've tried. I have Cosmo in 4.2 but have only used it once, so I won't be able to give a good comparison between the two. I'll use it this afternoon and give my thoughts.

That said, I really like 4.1.

I'm anxious to try the Cosmo when it comes in the mail. I think it should be here Friday or next Monday.

Of what I would consider luxury soaps and creams I have: SV, Valbora, Klar Seinfen, Xpec, MdC and Nuavia Rosa. I still need to Nuavia Rosa but I don't think it will beat SV for all around performance and let's face it, Xpec doesn't look like a $70 soap at all and smells like Tabac or Arko but it does perform well.

You can get xpec for less than $40 shipped from Europe now. We like similar soaps klar, SV, Valobra..ABC is my #1 but after revisiting I Coloniani recently it kinda changed things a bit, some of the soaps that I find really slick like Tabula Rasa doesn't feel as slick anymore, sorry for going out of topic but SV Tundra beta 4.1 imho is the slickest SV but the lathers are thin, i think it was specifically made for straights.

Well I have tried 4.0, 4.1, and 4.2. I have all the soaps and AS to day, and as many have said it is the TOP soap in the den, as far as performance, and Cosmo just knocked off the champ, Tabac. To me the differences are so very subtle, and appear to me to be in the post shave. 70th, Dolomiti, Felce Aromatica, Manna Di Sicilia, are all fantastic, lather well, great glide, and fantastic post shave feel. Tundra Artica took the face feel both "in shave" and post to a bit higher level as far as slickness. Cosmo to be shows the biggest difference in the post shave face feel as a touch higher than T.A

That is my take on it

Last edited:
You can get xpec for less than $40 shipped from Europe now. We like similar soaps klar, SV, Valobra..ABC is my #1 but after revisiting I Coloniani recently it kinda changed things a bit, some of the soaps that I find really slick like Tabula Rasa doesn't feel as slick anymore, sorry for going out of topic but SV Tundra beta 4.1 imho is the slickest SV but the lathers are thin, i think it was specifically made for straights.

No, I can't get it for $40 unfortunately because I'm Canadian and that's a US price. :sad:

Well I have tried 4.0, 4.1, and 4.2. I have all the soaps and AS to day, and as many have said it is the TOP soap in the den, as far as performance, and Cosmo just knocked off the champ, Tabac. To me the differences are so very subtle, and appear to me to be in the post shave. 70th, Dolomiti, Felce Aromatica, Manna Di Sicilia, are all fantastic, lather well, great glide, and fantastic post shave feel. Tundra Artica took the face feel both "in shave" and post to a bit higher level as far as slickness. Cosmo to be shows the biggest difference in the post shave face feel as a touch higher than T.A

That is my take on it

+10256356

Used Tundra Artica for the first time this morning, and I was quite surprised. At this since 2011, I gave up on my search for higher performing soaps, as I found nothing can beat the performance of the Valobra hard pucks for me. Sure it's only one shave, but this stuff really performs and gives Valobra a run for its money. It's a big puck too, which helps with value. Can anyone speak to how many shaves per puck, relative to other pucks as well as comparison to Valobra in terms of shave quality. I realize one shave it too early for make a determination, but I can only see this getting better once dialed in.

So I've been skipping this thread because I just bought my SV a month ago and I just assumed I had the latest version. Imagine my surprise when I flipped them over:
$20160501_200833.jpg

This is such an interesting hobby. I have been talking about castor oil in my shave soaps lately here on B&B and getting great responses. Now I am looking at SV beta 4.2 and they say:

Saponificio Varesino also added a new vegetal compound, based on castor oil, that gives a lubricating action and helps the razor mechanical action.

i have yet to try the Cosmo, i didn't open it yet...
For the past few days i was stuck on Parma Inspiration, i find it a bit better than other SVs i have (tundra and 70th). Maybe i'll use Cosmo tomorrow...
btw, i'm NOT a real fan of Catie's Bubbles but Parma stands on its own...

This is such an interesting hobby. I have been talking about castor oil in my shave soaps lately here on B&B and getting great responses. Now I am looking at SV beta 4.2 and they say:

Saponificio Varesino also added a new vegetal compound, based on castor oil, that gives a lubricating action and helps the razor mechanical action.

I think only Cosmo has the 4.2 formula but the 4.0 is what I have right now and I find it simply great in all respects so I can't wait till my Cosmo arrives -- when ever customs decides to release it! :glare::a52:

i have yet to try the Cosmo, i didn't open it yet...
For the past few days i was stuck on Parma Inspiration, i find it a bit better than other SVs i have (tundra and 70th). Maybe i'll use Cosmo tomorrow...
btw, i'm NOT a real fan of Catie's Bubbles but Parma stands on its own...

Let us know what you think of the Cosmo.

I really don't notice a difference between any of them. Great performance and post shave feel with all of them. As for Cosmo, I find it too perfumy. Like being stuck in an elevator full of women. And I like Tabac.

I love being stuck in an elevator full of beautiful women..

I like Tabac too... btw...:thumbup:

Just used Cosmo tonight and as expected it was very impressive. I like the powdery scent so that's a plus and the differences between Cosmo with the 4.2 formula and Aromatica 4.0 formula weren't huge but I did notice that their was better cushion and post shave face feel was superior. I didn't notice much, if any, difference in slickness but I found 4.0 to be very slick already so that's not a knock as it's one more my slickest soaps and I don't see how it can get much better anyway.

The shave was one of those dream shaves where it felt like my tired old Lada, on it's 8 shave, was just gliding through melted butter. The added cushion probably made it feel that much better so I'm very impressed. This might just have pushed out Klar Seifen as my number two soap and might even push out Valobra from the top spot. I have to give both of these a few more shaves and then we'll see.

Oooh lads you're making it difficult to not consider another order this year. I should just remember: in for a hundred; just blow the wad, dag-gum-it. I love the first tier shipping service, but I'd be happy with swiss post.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Out of curiosity, which version of valobra do you find best¿ I am trying to choose between Cosmo and valobra but have never used valobra

Just used Cosmo tonight and as expected it was very impressive. I like the powdery scent so that's a plus and the differences between Cosmo with the 4.2 formula and Aromatica 4.0 formula weren't huge but I did notice that their was better cushion and post shave face feel was superior. I didn't notice much, if any, difference in slickness but I found 4.0 to be very slick already so that's not a knock as it's one more my slickest soaps and I don't see how it can get much better anyway.

The shave was one of those dream shaves where it felt like my tired old Lada, on it's 8 shave, was just gliding through melted butter. The added cushion probably made it feel that much better so I'm very impressed. This might just have pushed out Klar Seifen as my number two soap and might even push out Valobra from the top spot. I have to give both of these a few more shaves and then we'll see.

Top Bottom