What's new

He shoots, he scores!

On a whim I went to a discount grocery outlet and found something I'd been looking for everywhere but never saw: Nivea Sensitive Shave Cream in a tube. They were $1.99 each and I bought the whole shelf. I'd never tried this cream before but I'm a huge fan of their sensitive balm and know Nick Shaves recommends this cream along with the balm.

Just tried it and I love it. Its on par (too early too tell if its a better performer or not) to my favorite Van Der Hagen Glycerin soap. It may be discontinued as I don't see it on the Nivea USA site... Hope not though, its a great performer (has glycerine, witch hazel, coconut oil, olive oil, camomile extract and a fresh light fragrance).

So proud of myself :)

Now I know how my wife feels when she finds a great sale on clothing :) :)

Last edited:
Personally I prefer the standard blue Nivea, the sensitive gives me a certain amount of lasting redness, but the Sensitive certainly has the better scent. I'd be happy if all my creams smelled like that. And for the record, up here, as stores run out of it, it seems only the blue is sticking around.

One thing I noticed it there is a slight residue left over on the razor after it dries off. Nowhere near what Proraso does for me, but I did notice it. Granted I only shaved once with it.

I think the residue is based on the stearic acid in the ingredient list. My face felt noticeably more moisturized to the point I may not need the aftershave balm... we shall see

Did my first brush lather with with cream - wow! Awesome lather and a little goes a looooong way.

I got a great shave with almost no irritation and little alum burn.

Scent is awesome (its a fresh, clean soap like scent. Almost identical to the sensitive post shave balm) and dissipates quickly.

I was right about not needing the aftershave balm as the post shave feel is already moisturized even after applying and rinsing alum. There is a film on my equipment afterwards (like Proraso from the stearic acid I suspect) which is probably what makes my face feel moisturized. It is almost a light lotion post shave feel. My pores don't feel clogged nor does my face look dry or pasty. Actually, my skin looks better than my usual routine which is to use the balm.

I'm impressed. I think I may prefer the Van der Hagen glycerin soap but this is my favorite cream!

Yeah, I scored :)

Last edited:
Nivea is underrated. I 3017'd a tube a couple months ago. I wasn't a huge fan of the scent but it performed just as well as my top soaps. The price is great too.

Personally I prefer the standard blue Nivea, the sensitive gives me a certain amount of lasting redness, but the Sensitive certainly has the better scent. I'd be happy if all my creams smelled like that. And for the record, up here, as stores run out of it, it seems only the blue is sticking around.

I still see the white around here and it's on the Nivea Canada site so it should return to your stores. I'll keep watch though, thanks for the heads up!

Several days with the Nivea. I have to say it offers the best protection of any cream or soap I have tried. I am able to go over areas multiple times without reapplying cream.

I'm impressed and am glad I bought all I could get my hands on.

Progress update: after many shaves I am quite impressed. Still trying to get the water/cream ratio right but it is quite easy to lather. The protection of this cream is unreal. Glad I bought all I could find. Went back to the store and there were no more :(

Great minds think alike........
I went through a phase of looking in local Spar shops recently
In one I got 6 bars of Magno Classic black soap for just €1 each(the going rate everywhere else is €1,50), and 5 La Toja shaving sticks for €2,50 each(the going rate is €3,25)
In another I got a 150ml bottle of Varon Dandy Aftershave for €13,50 - I've only ever seen Varon Dandy Cologne anywhere else, I definitely prefer the Aftershave version
In a gift shop I got a Bea shaving stick for €1,65 - the 1st time I've seen it, I usually buy Lea shaving sticks from the supermarket for €1,25 each, but I prefer the scent of Bea because it's a more subtle scent than Lea and smells more "soapy"
In another I saw Nivea Mild shaving cream for €2,45 - they only had 2 on the shelf so I snapped them both up !!

IME nivea way outperforms vdh. You should be very happy

+1

IIRC, Nivea Sensitive shave cream burst onto the US;scene 2-3 years ago it was quite the rage. Nivea sensitive was stocked in drugstores and supermarkets from anywhere to $2-$5.00. For me it's a very good, budget cream which does everything that it should for a very inexpensive price.

Great minds think alike........

...In a gift shop I got a Bea shaving stick for €1,65 - the 1st time I've seen it, I usually buy Lea shaving sticks from the supermarket for €1,25 each, but I prefer the scent of Bea because it's a more subtle scent than Lea and smells more "soapy"...

Today's Lea shave sticks are really very nice. A few years ago, Lea reformulated their unimpressive veggie stick to more match an earlier formula which contains tallow and lanolin. I occasionally use Lea while travelling and at home. It provides an easy, very effective lather without too much scent. I've yet to try Bea (Lea's budget brand?) or the Vie-Long, branded Lea soap.

Today's Lea shave sticks are really very nice. A few years ago, Lea reformulated their unimpressive veggie stick to more match an earlier formula which contains tallow and lanolin. I occasionally use Lea while travelling and at home. It provides an easy, very effective lather without too much scent. I've yet to try Bea (Lea's budget brand?) or the Vie-Long, branded Lea soap.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I think Bea is probably a low budget Lea, it's almost the same performance wise - they both lather like a dream and a stick lasts for a very long time

I'm afraid I have some very bad news.

The Nivea Sensitive Shave Cream in the tube has been discontinued.

I love the stuff, but was unable to find it locally or my usual online shops. I emailed with Nivea and they confirmed it's no longer being produced.

Hello Mr. XXXXX,

Thank you for contacting us about NIVEA MEN Sensitive Shaving Cream.

We're sorry to disappoint you, but this product has been discontinued due to declining distribution and decreasing sales. It is a difficult decision to discontinue a product, and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Unfortunately, we no longer have inventory nor do we know of retailers stocking the product.

We do not have another product like this in our current line at this time. We appreciate your interest in NIVEA MEN Sensitive Shaving Cream and will share this with the appropriate persons.

If you have any other questions or comments, please call us at 1-800-227-4703. Our phone lines are open Monday to Friday, 9:30 am to 4:30 pm EST.

We appreciate your interest in NIVEA MEN.

Cordially,

Sam
Consumer Relations
Beiersdorf Inc.

Top Bottom